• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Huh, now I have something to do this saturday
Never mind best shot I got gives me 101 kg and I think we can all guess that it isn’t accurate
That Wyoming smash this episode was censored as hell, god dammit bones. I wanted to see the teeth flying and blood leaking and we basically got nothing. Also that whole sequence is just as weird as I imagined it with Deku hitting Shigaraki’s head but then his arm winding up in his mouth.
F

My first impression is weaker than what I was hoping for in this episode.

The first half was fine and Machia had a lot of cool shots. In fact the first half of the episode that dealt with Machia was the better part for me. Machia had some really cool shots, nothing wild in terms of animation though. Machia throwing Mt. Lady off him was better in the manga, the sheer force he had was lost here.

I feel the same about Machia's running in this episode and the previous, the manga was shown his run was making shockwaves and sending whole trees flying. The anime didn't have any of that, just a large cloud of dust being kicked up. But I was expecting more from that toss.

Mina's flashback was done pretty well and Kirishima climbing up Machia's arm was pretty good as well. I still found it enjoyable, even if it wasn't as good as it could've been. Interestingly they showed Machia transforming and beginning his attack with those large claws. With a shot from Chapter 283 as well.

However it was after we got back to the battle with Shigaraki that things became weird. Starts fine at first, since this is just a moment of talking.

But Shigaraki's pose at the end of his speech is so much better in the manga, no effects or anything. His face was fine but his pose looked off as they panned up him. Also him standing up could've had way more sway/wobble to it, and the censorship on the cracks he's getting on his body make it look really off.

They look like markings and there was no kracking sound effect as they spread open as he stood up. He also has zero injuries from Endeavor's attack and only has the cracks on him. Although the smile he makes after jumping through Endeavor's fire looks good. Still completely insane.

But the censorship in this episode really made it all around worse.

Surprisingly Gran Torino getting punched through the stomach was done very well. In fact they show Shigaraki's fist pierce him and has a lot of blood. However what happens next is very strange. Shigaraki getting stopped by Ryukyu has zero impact whatsoever, literally felt no real boom moment.

He doesn't even break her hands, he just punches through one. Her other hand is still fine. Endeavor's charge towards Shigaraki looked much worse compared to the manga. And they completely removed Shigaraki having two bullets and got rid of Bakugo taking one of them out.

Worst of all was what I think is the worst 100% smash in the series. No joke that was pathetic, I didn't know the Wyoming Smash would look so bad. There is no defending that moment, should've been a big impact of force. But instead looked so weak, 20% Izuku had better impacts than that.

Heck I don't even know what happened. The anime shows the 100% smash not doing anything to Shigaraki. Izuku chopped him on the shoulder and I guess Shiggy decided to chomp down on Izuku's arm for some reason? There's a shot that shows that Shiggy's fine after the 100% Smash and his mouth has no arm in it.

This was just worse than the manga. Ends with the bullet hitting Aizawa's leg, not a bad ending point. But next chapter preview is titled Katsuki Bakugo: Rising. Which means it has to end on Bakugo getting impaled, which means we're already getting the 100% beat down next episode.

Mostly disappointed from that Wyoming Smash, that should've been a big moment. I haven't been turned off by this, just that this could've been so much better.

Last edited:
My first impression is weaker than what I was hoping for in this episode.

The first half was fine and Machia had a lot of cool shots. In fact the first half of the episode that dealt with Machia was the better part for me. Machia had some really cool shots, nothing wild in terms of animation though. Machia throwing Mt. Lady off him was better in the manga, the sheer force he had was lost here.

I feel the same about Machia's running in this episode and the previous, the manga was shown his run was making shockwaves and sending whole trees flying. The anime didn't have any of that, just a large cloud of dust being kicked up. But I was expecting more from that toss.

Mina's flashback was done pretty well and Kirishima climbing up Machia's arm was pretty good as well. I still found it enjoyable, even if it wasn't as good as it could've been. Interestingly they showed Machia transforming and beginning his attack with those large claws. With a shot from Chapter 283 as well.

However it was after we got back to the battle with Shigaraki that things became weird. Starts fine at first, since this is just a moment of talking.

But Shigaraki's pose at the end of his speech is so much better in the manga, no effects or anything. His face was fine but his pose looked off as they panned up him. Also him standing up could've had way more sway/wobble to it, and the censorship on the cracks he's getting on his body make it look really off.

They look like markings and there was no kracking sound effect as they spread open as he stood up. He also has zero injuries from Endeavor's attack and only has the cracks on him. Although the smile he makes after jumping through Endeavor's fire looks good. Still completely insane.

But the censorship in this episode really made it all around worse.

Surprisingly Gran Torino getting punched through the stomach was done very well. In fact they show Shigaraki's fist pierce him and has a lot of blood. However what happens next is very strange. Shigaraki getting stopped by Ryukyu has zero impact whatsoever, literally felt no real boom moment.

He doesn't even break her hands, he just punches through one. Her other hand is still fine. Endeavor's charge towards Shigaraki looked much worse compared to the manga. And they completely removed Shigaraki having two bullets and got rid of Bakugo taking one of them out.

Worst of all was what I think is the worst 100% smash in the series. No joke that was pathetic, I didn't know the Wyoming Smash would look so bad. There is no defending that moment, should've been a big impact of force. But instead looked so weak, 20% Izuku had better impacts than that.

Heck I don't even know what happened. The anime shows the 100% smash not doing anything to Shigaraki. Izuku chopped him on the shoulder and I guess Shiggy decided to chomp down on Izuku's arm for some reason? There's a shot that shows that Shiggy's fine after the 100% Smash and his mouth has no arm in it.

This was just worse than the manga. Ends with the bullet hitting Aizawa's leg, not a bad ending point. But next chapter preview is titled Katsuki Bakugo: Rising. Which means it has to end on Bakugo getting impaled, which means we're already getting the 100% beat down next episode.

Mostly disappointed from that Wyoming Smash, that should've been a big moment. I haven't been turned off by this, just that this could've been so much better.
Yeah the Wyoming Smash felt so mediocre compared to alot of other smashes also screw censorship. All my homies hate censorship.

Makes me wonder how they’ll handle Dabi’s skin falling off down the line.

Was going through some profile and can't help but notice that Kamui Woods lack LS despite him being able to restrain Spinner and Toga who are both Class 5 and Shigaraki who's Class 10 alongside other members of the league all at the same time, is there a reason for him being unknown ? Also, PLW arc Compress was able to practically one-shot Midnight and Kaminari with his quirk, the latter of which should be more durable than his JT self, who's Large building level+. Are we saving these for the Final War Crt ?
Compress didn't one shot them with his Quirk, his Quirk has no AP whatsoever as it ignores durability. He threw compressed objects at them and uncompressed them before it hit them. That isn't his strength, since whatever he compresses no long has any weight to it. With Kaminari he used a weapon from his fake hand.

It'd be like giving Uraraka AP for lifting an object with Zero Gravity and making it fall back down and hurt someone. I'm uncertain if that should be a rating for Compress, since he lacks the power to throw those objects with enough force. He's "cheating" by making them weigh much less when he throws them.

Normal humans like Kaminari and Midnight are very heavily affected by falling from large heights. Regardless of how we rate them, falling from such a height with rubble crushing them is going to do a large amount of damage. Even Shigaraki back in the MLA Arc said falling from such a high height is suppose to kill people.

Re-Destro not having a scratch was seen as a big deal.

Kamui should scale to them in Lifting Strength.

Compress didn't one shot them with his Quirk, his Quirk has no AP whatsoever as it ignores durability. He threw compressed objects at them and uncompressed them before it hit them. That isn't his strength, since whatever he compresses no long has any weight to it. With Kaminari he used a weapon from his fake hand.

It'd be like giving Uraraka AP for lifting an object with Zero Gravity and making it fall back down and hurt someone. I'm uncertain if that should be a rating for Compress, since he lacks the power to throw those objects with enough force. He's "cheating" by making them weigh much less when he throws them.

Normal humans like Kaminari and Midnight are very heavily affected by falling from large heights. Regardless of how we rate them, falling from such a height with rubble crushing them is going to do a large amount of damage. Even Shigaraki back in the MLA Arc said falling from such a high height is suppose to kill people.

Re-Destro not having a scratch was seen as a big deal.

Kamui should scale to them in Lifting Strength.
Don't you just love it when you can tank building destroying attacks but end up badly hurt by good ol gravity

Ngl I was really disappointed in one part of this episode, they messed up Shigaraki’s speech

They should have made the background dark or had a Stain aura type thing like in the manga

This makes me sad.

Not joke the anime said the 100% smash didn't do anything and Shigaraki just wanted to bite Izuku for some reason.

This shot here shows he's completely fine. You can see Izuku's hand on his shoulder from the Smash, which means his attack didn't lodge his hand there.
What did Hori do to Bones that they do stuff like this like how do you mess this up?

Deku does attack, Tomura catches in mouth, mouth tears. It isn’t complex.

I didn't mention the chapter I think. But the new chapter ending with Kurogiri getting up with Shirakumo's face and speaking like him. Yet says he'll protect Tomura Shigaraki is something I find interesting. Since Kurogiri's desire to protect Shigaraki was something Aizawa recognized as being just like Shirakumo.

He can't ignore someone that was rejected by others. He was the type to pick up a stray cat that Aizawa left behind since he felt like he wouldn't be able to take care of it. This is similar to Shigaraki, everyone ignored him because they felt like a Hero would save him and didn't have to do anything.

Both the cat and Shigaraki were ignored by the people around them, who believed/hoped that someone else would save them. Shirakumo likely feels that he needs to protect Shigaraki, because no one else will. I can see this going down a few different paths, though I'll save my thoughts for later.

I don't believe Shirakumo is protecting Shigaraki with his free will and life. But his desire to protect is so strong and that is what he's focusing on. If Shirakumo does come back in full, obviously he wouldn't want Shigaraki to destroy anything. But right now he isn't exactly Shirakumo. Although what he means by protection is vague.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and he's just Kurogiri right now and Shirakumo will come back later to help out the heroes.

Yeah but they served their purpose, GT's "death" served no purpose other than empty shock value the same could be said about Bakugou's "death" but let's wait and see what he'll do when he revives
GT’s death gave Deku a rage amp and punted him out of the story so he can’t give Deku advice or help him. It also was the first step towards the guilt Deku feels when someone he cares about gets hurt in front of him.

The fact Deku to this day wears Torino’s cape as a symbol of carrying on his teachings shows that putting Torino out of commission definitely mattered and had weight later on for Deku’s development as a character. Hell, if this didn’t happen, Deku would never have gotten the “killing can be saving” mentality either.

I agree Torino could have just died, but saying this is a fake out and didn’t amount to anything is straight wrong. Deku got heavily affected by Torino being wounded here and was constantly played up by more and more people getting hurt until he came to his decision to leave. Torino is just the first casualty, and thus the one Deku carries as a burden the most.

What did Hori do to Bones that they do stuff like this like how do you mess this up?

Deku does attack, Tomura catches in mouth, mouth tears. It isn’t complex.
And apparently MHA is their biggest anime yet it receives dust compared to what other anime at the studio get. Even smaller stuff. I think even Pierrot is way better at handling longer anime when they really put their back into it like One Piece with Wano and now Bleach.

They might not be 10/10 all the time but when they go all out they REALLY go all out like the recent Bleach Yamamoto vs Yhwach episode. I thought all the animation conservativeness since episode 4 was for Deku vs Shigaraki but so far the past 4 episodes nothing has wowed me. It's not bad, but it won't have me rewatching numerous times like the Yama Bleach episode.

And apparently MHA is their biggest anime yet it receives dust compared to what other anime at the studio get. Even smaller stuff. I think even Pierrot is way better at handling longer anime when they really put their back into it like One Piece with Wano and now Bleach.

They might not be 10/10 all the time but when they go all out they REALLY go all out like the recent Bleach Yamamoto vs Yhwach episode. I thought all the animation conservativeness since episode 4 was for Deku vs Shigaraki but so far the past 4 episodes nothing has wowed me. It's not bad, but it won't have me rewatching numerous times like the Yama Bleach episode.
Yama vs Yhwach was the best episode of the year by considerable margin imo. I cant foresee Bones putting together something to top it if this the current quality we have for animation

Next episode's still frame shot of Deku hitting Shigaraki has me concerned

This should be the best looking episode in the arc, but it's looking very mid based on the preview
Agreed, I’m kinda concerned for the “Smash Beatdown”

If that’s not animated crazy good, then idk what they’re even doing anymore. Saving for Dabi’s Dance? For Rage Mode Deku? For ******* Villain Hunt?

Idk, just worried to say the least

Agreed, I’m kinda concerned for the “Smash Beatdown”

If that’s not animated crazy good, then idk what they’re even doing anymore. Saving for Dabi’s Dance? For Rage Mode Deku? For ******* Villain Hunt?

Idk, just worried to say the least
Put all the budget into those Mirko shots and called it a season... Just like Season 5 when all the budget went to the first few episodes

Next episode's still frame shot of Deku hitting Shigaraki has me concerned

This should be the best looking episode in the arc, but it's looking very mid based on the preview
I saw the episode preview and almost cried. Even Deku vs Shiggy is getting still frames. I was hoping for a Deku vs Overhaul or Deku vs Flect Turn level of animation but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

Put all the budget into those Mirko shots and called it a season... Just like Season 5 when all the budget went to the first few episodes
I'd say, season 5 still tried with most of JT arc. Iida got some nice sakuga and even Ojiro vs the hand drill guy as well as Shoto vs Tetsu and Deku's Black Whip scene all looked great. (Heck Black Whip manifesting back then had more impact than Deku's punch this episode).

Season 5 kinda tried in the first cour and only started suffering in the 2nd cour.

I'd say, season 5 still tried with most of JT arc. Iida got some nice sakuga and even Ojiro vs the hand drill guy as well as Shoto vs Tetsu and Deku's Black Whip scene all looked great. (Heck Black Whip manifesting back then had more impact than Deku's punch this episode).

Season 5 kinda tried in the first cour and only started suffering in the 2nd cour.
Did we ever establish if Japan didn't like the increased emphasis on the villains or not? At this point, I'm about to get the tinfoil hat on to try and figure this out...

Back