• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

About that feat, it was always kind of weird how Gran Torino was able to save them from AFO Shigaraki who was pretty much right in front of them, but later he is easily outpaced by Shiggy and 45% Deku.

3 centimeters? At this point I don't think you know how to calculate the distance between characters.

If anything the distance would have to be whatever distance Shigaraki's arm had to cover to capture Deku and Bakugo.

But as I said before, using AFO Shigaraki to scale Gran Torino above him would be strange to begin with, he shouldn't be able to move faster than Shigaraki's arm.

If anything the distance would have to be whatever distance Shigaraki's arm had to cover to capture Deku and Bakugo.
Shigaraki’s arm was already outstretched beforehand and we can’t see Deku and Bakugou in the panel, so I’m using the distance between Shigaraki and the outline of the air burst

I can put the distance at the center of the air burst if that makes it more accurate?

About that feat, it was always kind of weird how Gran Torino was able to save them from AFO Shigaraki who was pretty much right in front of them, but later he is easily outpaced by Shiggy and 45% Deku.
Maybe because Shigaraki was somewhat casual? And I think it helps to show the disparity between percentages

Gran Torino is considerably slower than 45%, yet he is so unfathomably faster than 30% that he could save him and Bakugou and dash away before Shigaraki’s arm could travel a short distance

Shigaraki’s arm was already outstretched beforehand and we can’t see Deku and Bakugou in the panel, so I’m using the distance between Shigaraki and the outline of the air burst
In the panel there's some lines of movement implying that his arm was, well, moving in that instance.

Don't forget at that point Gran Torino had already saved them as well, so I don't get what you mean by saying "his arm was already stretched", implying the movement Gran Torino made only happened after Shiggy's arm was at that position, and not at the same time.

For speed, Shigaraki can casually generate Mach rings and shockwaves with his movement, so I’ll be using the speed of sound as a lowball.

This isn't acceptable anymore... Was he making a shockwave at the time of the feat?

This isn't acceptable anymore... Was he making a shockwave at the time of the feat?
Nope, and if Shiggy was somehow casual according to him then using that assumed speed would be invalid to begin with.

Not to mention that Deku and Bakugo were paralyzed by fear, so using them isn't valid either.

Shigaraki being casual is just a hypothesis, it isn’t blatantly reflected in the feat but I’m just headcanoning it
Okay, but the assumed Mach 1 speed comes from a serious Shigaraki being stated to be faster than 45% Deku, who was able to outspeed Jiro's sound waves even while tired, which to be fair he didn't make any shock wave either, so I don't get that part about what Damage said.

If Shiggy was casual it would invalidate the scaling assumption.

Either way I'm not thrilled about using AFO Shigaraki's combat speed to calculate Gran Torino to be hundreds of times faster, and I don't agree with way the distance was measured.

Okay, but the assumed Mach 1 speed comes from a serious Shigaraki being stated to be faster than 45% Deku, who was able to outspeed Jiro's sound waves even while tired, which to be fair he didn't make any shock wave either, so I don't get that part about what Damage said.

If Shiggy was casual it would invalidate the scaling assumption.

Either way I'm not thrilled about using AFO Shigaraki's combat speed to calculate Gran Torino to be hundreds of times faster, and I don't agree with way the distance was measured.
I’m no expert but given what I’ve seen that is definitely a good way to see it. Combat and movement are two very different things.

I’d say superhuman would be a Better speed given that the characters are all, ya know, superhuman

I have calcs I’m working on but their mostly for fun and not for actual usage (mostly me seeing how well I can do)

Speaking of that You wanna see how high I can Jack up A number 6 Calc?

Yeah MHA is inconsistent with its portrayals of supersonic characters, as characters that are FAR beyond the speed of sound sometimes don’t even generate sonic booms

BOS Tokoyami can easily intercept electricity from point-blank and never creates a sonic boom

45% Deku never created any sonic booms

Gran Torino is literally faster than his own voice, yet he never created any sonic booms

Yet Season 2 Iida generated multiple Mach rings after going Recipro Extend lol

I’m no expert but given what I’ve seen that is definitely a good way to see it. Combat and movement are two very different things.
Most of the time combat speed > movement speed, it’s rare for it be to the opposite

Let me put it like this:

The average human can run at 6.7 m/s, yet according to this article, the average human can punch at 11.5 m/s

How should I scale the distance?
I would calculate the distance Shiggy's arm crossed in the way of an arc by using the length of his arm and the angle of the movement.

But that might be a bit too complicated if you haven't done it before.
Yes, generally combat speed is faster than movement speed, which is why Iida's calc was given a pass despite using a similar logic.

Hi, I wanted to bring up that this calculation was never added to the page of the verse. The melting end (159 megatons) was approved and used for an attempted downgrade a long time ago, but I think it's a useful calculation considering it's a 7-A approved feat which doesn't involved clouds or anything like that and as such can always be used as a secondary calculation in case of need, especially since the Wolfram feat gets recalculated often.

Hi, I wanted to bring up that this calculation was never added to the page of the verse. The melting end (159 megatons) was approved and used for an attempted downgrade a long time ago, but I think it's a useful calculation considering it's a 7-A approved feat which doesn't involved clouds or anything like that and as such can always be used as a secondary calculation in case of need, especially since the Wolfram feat gets recalculated often.
I can add this as a supporting feat

Gran Torino is superior to 30% Deku which was what Deku was using at the time. Gran Torino is inferior to 45% Deku who outpaced him.
Shiggy really doesn't count since he was basically mid-air and had slowed down from his super-leap. When Shiggy jumped towards Deku, he broke the sound barrier but by the time he reached Deku, he could speak a full sentence while suspended in the air, so his speed had clearly slowed down.

That calc doesn't make any sense to me. He isn't melting anything in that blast zone and that blast is happening above the water. .

I dislike stuff like this, that if something can melt a smaller amount of rock. It must mean another blast is capable of melting this larger amount of rock despite never showing it was capable of that. This calc is just assuming his blast could theoretically melt a giant cylinder of rock that is the same size as the explosion. Which is a baseless assumption, he isn't actually melting anything in that moment.

Also its obvious characters aren't always reacting at their max otherwise Deku's blunder with Toga would not have happened in the current war.

Shigaraki didn't jump towards Izuku, he propelled himself with Air Cannon to reach them (Plus Radio Waves for an EMP). He didn't do a double jump in mid air.
He jumped first when he sensed Izuku's location then did the Air Canon + Radio Waves combo to disrupt the heroes communication channels.

Shiggy really doesn't count since he was basically mid-air and had slowed down from his super-leap. When Shiggy jumped towards Deku, he broke the sound barrier but by the time he reached Deku, he could speak a full sentence while suspended in the air, so his speed had clearly slowed down.
U can’t use the “sentence” argument in animanga, it’s always just PIS

Dragon Ball characters can talk while fighting at Massively FTL+ speeds

He jumped first when he sensed Izuku's location then did the Air Canon + Radio Waves combo to disrupt the heroes communication channels.
The Air Cannon clearly boosted him, since he was shown to move faster. I don't see why you think that is impossible.

45% Deku never created any sonic booms
What?

The man literally collapsed a building by just moving. Do we ignore how his entire style focuses on generating shock waves?

Is generating shock waves not accepted as supersonic for some reason? It seems a lot of people seem to forget the basics of aerodynamics, lmfao.

What?

The man literally collapsed a building by just moving. Do we ignore how his entire style focuses on generating shock waves?

Is generating shock waves not accepted as supersonic for some reason? It seems a lot of people seem to forget the basics of aerodynamics, lmfao.
I’m saying that Deku doesn’t traditionally create Mach rings while moving

What?

We don't accept stuff like that on this wiki. You can shatter a building or even wipe out an entire city with air pressure and still be slower than Supersonic.

It's only accepted as a shockwave if the verse in question says it's a shockwave, says a character can move faster than sound, or ect.

Obviously if they're called shockwaves than yes, it'd be faster than sound. But visual effects don't equal shockwaves/sonic booms without any evidence.

It's only accepted as a shockwave if the verse in question says it's a shockwave, says a character can move faster than sound, or ect.
My brother in christ

He literally weaponizes the air pressure he generates by moving for blunt force trauma.

He ******* kicks up the asphalt of a sidewalk with just air pressure alone.

I don't need to tell you that the only way this would be possible is if it were a shockwave, do I? You don't need a statement for everything, it's just common sense.

Shock-wave definition​

"A sharp change of pressure in a narrow region traveling through a medium, especially air, caused by an explosion or by a body moving faster than sound."

And what happens whenever Deku uses Air Force or One for All at higher percentages? I'll give you a second to figure that one out...

Obviously if they're called shockwaves than yes, it'd be faster than sound. But visual effects don't equal shockwaves/sonic booms without any evidence.
How is it visual effects when he's literally shown to be causing collateral damage with just movement alone?

Ah yes, this is visual effects.

EYy86LQXgAAoyPw.jpg:large

Genuinely, how???

Visual effects wouldn't cover how All Might and Deku literally tell and visually show the audience that he can fire off weaponized blasts of air from his body if he moves fast enough.

You have instances of All Might doing the same thing, and characters classify it as a shockwave.

0001-030.png

Like, this regular blast of air traveling toward the slide villain is arguably less impressive considering the lack of collateral damage. This is absurd no matter how you sell it, lol. Todoroki even compares Deku's smashes to All Might in terms of air pressure, even at 5%.

There's honestly so much evidence for this that you could honestly make a CRT about it, but I rest my case.

Back