• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

It seems like you are misunderstanding the ratings. But I guess it's also the site's fault for having combat speed up there alongside reactions.

But no one in MHA can move even at supersonic without activating their quirks and their quirks have to be ones that specifically boost speed.

Just because characters can perceive supersonic attacks doesn't suddenly make their bodies reach such speeds unless they activate their quirks to accelerate.

If you say Mirio could move without his quirk at to avoid a bullet that would imply his base without using his powers have supersonic movement speed which makes no sense in-universe when even O'clock with a busted speed quirk was only known as the "Supersonic Hero". Clearly supersonic is a big deal. It's not something base humans can hope to achieve.
It’s not really an in verse thing when Stars and Stripes, a character with a quirk that doesn’t enhance her speed, was perceiving light beams (inb4 sHe gOt HiT)

It’s not really an in verse thing when Stars and Stripes, a character with a quirk that doesn’t enhance her speed, was perceiving light beams (inb4 sHe gOt HiT)
Star's quirk clearly enhances her physical speed. I mean we do see her counter a Shigaraki who broke the sound barrier. She is clearly trying to emulate OFA with her strength Enhancing quirk meaning her strength, speed, and durability are all boosted to a pretty similar degree and basically that's how most strength enhancing quirks in the series work anyway.

It doesn't mean that you get superstrength in a vacuum unless your quirk is organ specific like Rappa's. For most strength enhancers we have seen, the strength enhancement occurs across the entire body. You don't get strong punches but slow speed for some reason.

And I clearly acknowledged the perception part. But if we are talking about combat speed then it will definitely have an aspect of movement speed included unless the character has precog.

Kinda, maybe apart from Endeavor. There's not much most of them can do defense-wise. They are nowhere near that durable so their best bet is to dodge and I don't see any of them being faster than her considering her speed should be around Shiggy's level.

Maybe if the battle is fought on land they would have better maneuverability.

Honestly the missiles are kinda cheating since it's not like the other heroes get weapons of that caliber and most of them are close quarters physical fighters.

Perhaps because it doesn't contradict jack shit and Mineta dodges and manages to hit the whip with his Quirk balls, just like the anime.
But it does contradict it. Midnight’s whip never cracks, and thus never goes anywhere near as fast as the calc suggests, in the manga.

Also, vulgar.

Yes, it is kinda weird that Mirio got hit by a bullet, despite being faster than Deku who can dodge bullets.

That’s if you believe Deku can actually outspeed bullets. But he hasn’t shown a feat like that until 30%.

This site can still believe that Two Heroes feat tho, no matter how many times it’s debunked. Debunks of it are ignored because it’d downgrade a lot of characters significantly.

This site can still believe that Two Heroes feat tho, no matter how many times it’s debunked. Debunks of it are ignored because it’d downgrade a lot of characters significantly.
Look, I'm just about tired of doing this dance with people. At this point, proving that 5% Deku can move faster than sound is just as bad as trying to prove that All Might and the Top Tiers deserve to stay at 7-A. I'm probably going to make a post about this, just to finally shut this up. Because honestly? I'm sick of it. I see it on forums, websites, videos, etc. It's ridiculously repetitive and most of all, inaccurate.

5% being faster than sound has no effect here. The point is that people are trying to compare base Mirio not using his quirk for acceleration to 5% Deku.

I don't even get why 5% Deku keeps being brought up. Of course he is faster than base Mirio. Base Mirio is just an ordinary human in-universe.

There is no way Mirio could have dodged that bullet unless he used his quirk, which he didn't so it's pointless to even use 5% as a comparison unless you think base MHA characters somehow have supersonic movement speed without the use of quirks.

What about Awakened Shigaraki? He is also an ordinary human who can move extremely fast for no reason.

We might as well downgrade everyone that doesn't have a strength-enhancing or speed-enhancing quirk to Average Human level of speed like Endeavor and the vast majority of the characters in the series.

We should put something in the Verse Page like "Note: Whenever characters like Endeavor react to or take hits from characters like AFO Shigaraki, we must assume that Shigaraki is just holding back so he won't kill or blitz Endeavor who is Average Human level due to not possessing any enhancement quirks."

Mirko should be Below Average Human level since her quirk is literally just "rabbit" lol

Note that this includes all kinds of reactions and combat speed, since they don't have a quirk that enhances those either.

Unless you think base MHA characters somehow have supersonic movement speed without the use of quirks.
Mha characters consistently perform feats far beyond normal human levels without the use of Quirks, such as Aizawa keeping up with 8%, Shigaraki blitzing Deku and Tsuyu in the USJ Arc, Toga blitzing several people, Base Deku catching Shinso's Capturing Weapon, Stain jumping between buildings, etc.

Mha characters consistently perform feats far beyond normal human levels without the use of Quirks, such as Aizawa keeping up with 8%, Shigaraki blitzing Deku and Tsuyu in the USJ Arc, Toga blitzing several people, Base Deku catching Shinso's Capturing Weapon, Stain jumping between buildings, etc.
That's still nowhere near supersonic. Like you are underestimating how fast the speed of sound is.

Deku's feat is around that level actually, and Shigaraki's feat is easily Subsonic+.

I still don't know why you think Supersonic has to be their limit though, that's just a random rating to choose from. You seem to be fine with the characters being superhuman, so them being Supersonic would be no different.

Last edited:
Deku's feat is around that level actually, and Shigaraki's feat is easily Subsonic+.
There are problems with these feats.
  • We don't know how fast Shinsou's capture was moving before it hit Uraraka. There's no concrete way to determine its velocity. It's flimsy, it's lightweight, and you have to account for air resistance. It's like if you tried throwing a paper at super-fast speeds. Even if your arm itself were to travel at, let's say ~12/5 m/s, the paper itself wouldn't travel at the same rate. Because again, air-resistance. There are several factors that would prohibit this feat from being supersonic.
  • Shigaraki blitzing several people wouldn't mean that's close to Subsonic+. Depending on the distance that he covered and the time frame, it could be lower than 50 m/s, or a little over 100 miles per hour. Which is superhuman, sure, but it's nowhere near-supersonic speeds.
In reality, I'm pretty sure Shigaraki is Supersonic anyways, so both of these feats don't really affect much other than Deku's scaling, but you need to bring better examples.

There is a scene where Shinso throws his Capturing Weapon as fast as 8% Deku, using Peak human speeds is a low-end in my opinion, it should not even be possible for the weapon to travel in the air at those speeds, it would just immediately fall to the ground.

But I couldn't find any speeds for throwing a rope.

There is a scene where Shinso throws his Capturing Weapon as fast as 8% Deku,
If he'd be capable of that, he'd probably be able to outrun 8% Deku. His limbs would have to move a lot faster than the actual capturing tape in order for this to work and abide by air resistance. Do I need to point out why that even if this were the case, it'd be an outlier? Especially for the guy who couldn't even outrace 8% Deku, let alone match him blow for blow?

But I couldn't find any speeds for throwing a rope.
Well, then this isn't measurable, at least not for this level of analysis.

If he'd be capable of that, he'd probably be able to outrun 8% Deku. His limbs would have to move a lot faster than the actual capturing tape in order for this to work and abide by air resistance.
This isn't how it works, it would be considered a combat speed feat at most.

It's almost like saying that since Bakugo can punch and kick as fast as 5% Deku, he should be able to run just as quick, and all of our combat speed feats would translate into movement speed, but that's not the case.

This isn't how it works, it would be considered a combat speed feat at most.
You don't understand. If his arm is capable of throwing a projectile out at supersonic speed, one which has a velocity heavily influenced by air resistance, his arm would be traveling at bare minimum a good deal faster than the actual projectile. And if his arm is capable of moving as fast as Deku, why can't his legs? Dude, this is just common sense at this point.

It's almost like saying that since Bakugo can punch and kick as fast as 5% Deku, he should be able to run just as quick, and all of our combat speed feats would translate into movement speed, but that's not the case.
Well, yeah, he kind of can. If he can punch fast enough to the point that 8% of Deku has trouble evading the hit, despite being capable of dodging bullets, that would obviously imply Bakugou can punch faster the sound. Should I even mention that like, you basically said that Bakugou can kick as fast as 5% Deku can? This translates to you saying that Bakugou's kicks can move faster than sound. And if his legs can move faster than sound... What do you think he'd be able to do? Your own argument defeats itself.

You can't get more counterintuitive than that. This is also a bad example.

You can't get more counterintuitive than that. This is also a bad example.
As I said, this is just how the wiki works, and we have good reasons to separate combat speed from movement speed.

Bakugo for example, has never been shown to be able to jump as high as Deku's 5%, and many other characters who have demonstrated a faster combat speed than Deku, don't scale from his movement speed.

Last edited:
Disagree, there are humans in real life that can kick at Subsonic speeds, and punch at Superhuman speeds, but that doesn't scale at all to their movement speed.
That's different. In order to kick that fast, usually, humans use their entire bodies. Kind of like how a boxer users their legs to generate more force when punching.

In Bakugou's case, his limb is accelerating to Mach speeds in a fraction of a second with little effort given on his part. That much force alone would be able to propel him supersonically.

Disagree, there are humans in real life that can kick at Subsonic speeds, and punch at Superhuman speeds, but that doesn't scale at all to their movement speed.

It's no different in Bakugo's case.
So shouldn’t our speed values be revised? Clearly superhuman speed isn’t even superhuman irl.

We also really need to get rid of the whole subsonic=FTE thing cause it’s just false.

The speed values are based on travel/running speed, not combat or reaction speed.

For good reason as well, since we can't apply Human level speed to just one number.

We already admit that FTE isn't automatically Subsonic, there was a thread about that. Since being FTE heavily depends on other factors like size, distance from person, brightness level, and likely more.

The speed values are based on travel/running speed, not combat or reaction speed.

For good reason as well, since we can't apply Human level speed to just one number.

We already admit that FTE isn't automatically Subsonic, there was a thread about that. Since being FTE heavily depends on other factors like size, distance from person, brightness level, and likely more.
Ah ok good to know.

it still says Subsonic (FTE) on the speed page

It might be a dead topic now, but concerning Normal Human level base Lemillion:

How did a quirkless Mirio protect Eri from Overhaul for 5 whole minutes, then?
Even 8% Deku, whom Normal Human Mirio supposedly do not scale from, was having a hard time against Overhaul. Even with Nemoto fusion (and Nemoto doesn't have any strength/speed enhancing quirks either), I don't think Overhaul's spikes went up from Normal Human level up to 8% of One For All with just that.
That's not even counting Overhaul's feat of killing Rappa.
Though since Overhaul doesn't enhance physical abilities besides fusion, then that would mean Chisaki is Normal Human level, then? So is Rappa just a little above Normal Human level? So would O'Clock and 8% Deku too be around that level?

One can call it bad writing in Horikoshi's part to have characters without physical-enhancing quirks to have ridiculous physical stats. But the fact of the matter is, that is the truth of power levels in MHA.

“These super human, evolved, futuristic people with varied abilities and generations of mutational cross-breeding should be the exact same strength and speed as normal humans, and it is bad writing that Horikoshi has them do superhuman feats.” <- people who think non-strength or speed enhanced characters should all be 9-B.

I swear to god not a single other verse on this wiki whines about consistency like this one. We have one instance of a character making a bad decision in regards to a bullet and suddenly Deku should be one shotting and blitzing Mirio when he demonstrably cannot, but instead of changing the argument, it just becomes “downgrade Deku too.”

Overhaul can move faster than and basically blitz Rappa, who is superhuman in speed, and even compared to bullets with his punches. Nighteye reacts to these punches with ease and bodies Rappa’s clone. Mirio is a legit equal to Nighteye, if not physically superior. Mirio beats the shit out of Overhaul, and reacts to all his attacks with ease, including the ones from his quirk, which are faster than Overhaul’s body is. Mirio is faster than Rappa. Thus he is comparable to if not faster than bullets as Horikoshi writes them. He prioritized incorrectly and sacrificed himself. Call that PiS or what, it doesn’t matter, his scale without calcs already has him being superhuman and beyond anything that any mortal on the face of our planet could possibly do.

Either you guys want every character to be brought down to 10-A, or you’re being hypocritical and want them to stay at High 8-C but can’t fathom that maybe this ANIME/MANGA, a FICTIONAL VERSE OF MAGICAL X-MEN, has characters doing things that shouldn’t be possible if they are normal humans.

Absolute shocker.

The only argument I can see for it is that her mask came off. In the panel it looks like her arm was extended and there was a small text bubble saying LASER. Although she didn’t catch the entire laser it seems, she was capable of perceiving it imo
This is going to become the new light fang argument

“These super human, evolved, futuristic people with varied abilities and generations of mutational cross-breeding should be the exact same strength and speed as normal humans, and it is bad writing that Horikoshi has them do superhuman feats.” <- people who think non-strength or speed enhanced characters should all be 9-B.

I swear to god not a single other verse on this wiki whines about consistency like this one. We have one instance of a character making a bad decision in regards to a bullet and suddenly Deku should be one shotting and blitzing Mirio when he demonstrably cannot, but instead of changing the argument, it just becomes “downgrade Deku too.”

Overhaul can move faster than and basically blitz Rappa, who is superhuman in speed, and even compared to bullets with his punches. Nighteye reacts to these punches with ease and bodies Rappa’s clone. Mirio is a legit equal to Nighteye, if not physically superior. Mirio beats the shit out of Overhaul, and reacts to all his attacks with ease, including the ones from his quirk, which are faster than Overhaul’s body is. Mirio is faster than Rappa. Thus he is comparable to if not faster than bullets as Horikoshi writes them. He prioritized incorrectly and sacrificed himself. Call that PiS or what, it doesn’t matter, his scale without calcs already has him being superhuman and beyond anything that any mortal on the face of our planet could possibly do.

Either you guys want every character to be brought down to 10-A, or you’re being hypocritical and want them to stay at High 8-C but can’t fathom that maybe this ANIME/MANGA, a FICTIONAL VERSE OF MAGICAL X-MEN, has characters doing things that shouldn’t be possible if they are normal humans.

Absolute shocker.
I might seriously make a thread about this. Because a lot of the characters should be supersonic with good reasoning.

Proving my point
???
Not sure what your point is. Where is the panel where she reacts to the beam before it hits her???

If I am bullet proof but otherwise just a normal human, and a minigun begins firing at me, and while the bullets are slamming against me I raise a shield, it doesn’t make me a bullet timer. I didn’t react to anything there. Just like Star.

Back