• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Multiple tier names (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
I know that I have mentioned this before, so my apologies if I am being a bother, but I am uncertain if it is a good idea to have multiple designations for the same tiers, especially "Small Island level".

Here is a list of the relevant tiers in question:

9-A: Room level should probably be changed to Small Building level, given that it is likely more accurate for the required energy output.

7-A: Large City level or Mountain level can probably both remain, as they both seem valid, unless the rest of you disagree.

High 7-A: I think that Small Island level should be changed to Large Mountain level, as the former sounds like a small island with a single building in an archipelago.

High 6-B: Large Country level is probably more appropriate than Small Continent level, given that it is within the 6-B range, rather than 6-A.

High 6-A: It might be better to change Large Continent level to Multi-Continent level for the sake of consistency.

However, as I mentioned earlier, my main concern is Small Island level, and to a lesser degree Room level.

Input would be appreciated.

9-A: It's really interchangeable between the two tbh. I mean a single room can be a building technically.

7-A: I hardly ever saw 7-A being called Large City level

High 7-A: Neutral

High 6-B: According to this an explosion ranging from the surface of Brazil to the surface of Russia would be High 6-B so Large Country is probably better.

High 6-A: As the above, if an explosion the size of the entire Asia is 6-A, High 6-A should be Multi-Continent

Thank you for the replies.

9-A: I agree on sticking with just Small Building level. Kaltias is right in that a single room can make up a small building. But Small Building level is probably a better idea. However, I am not opposed to "Room level" staying. I haven't really seen a lot of confusion in this regard.

7-A: @Kaltias, I think I am the only one around here who has used the term "Large City level" a lot. And even I have given in and just started sticking to Mountain level. I agree on sticking to Mountain level. Less confusion.

High 7-A: Here too, I have given in just started sticking to Large Mountain level. Makes sense to keep the whole "Mountain" theme for the entire 7-A tier. Mountain to Large Mountain level is a nice and sensible transition.

High 6-B: I agree with Kaltias on this.

High 6-A: I agree with Kaltias on this as well.

Okay. Thank you for the feedback.

The problem would be starting to apply these changes. Darkanine has a script for it, and is experienced in using it, but he is usually busy IRL nowadays.

Some other trusted administrator, who promises to be extremely careful and to uninstall the script afterwards, might be able to help out though.

"High 7-A: I think that Small Island level should be changed to Large Mountain level, as the former sounds like a small island with a single building in an archipelago."

I don't think anyone else here thinks that, to be frank. In addition, I don't think there's an actual "large mountain" large enough for High 7-A,

I would prefer to keep Small Island level, but I'm fine with the rest of the changes.

The Everlasting said:
In addition, I don't think there's an actual "large mountain" large enough for High 7-A,
Fragmenting some of the largest mountains on land does require Gigatons of Energy. Fragmenting Mt. Fuji requires 800 Megatons and it is far from the largest of land mountains.

Well, I personally find the name "Small Island" extremely misleading in terms of associated scale, and have encountered quite a lot of misunderstanding over the years with people who inaccurately give characters High 7-A of 6-C because they have destroyed or lifted a small or average sized island.

Mountain level is instinctively associated with something considerably large, even if we have explained exactly how large in a separate instruction page.

Small Island sounds far more inappropriate i.m.h.o.

You're taking a ridiculously low assumption with what people think a small island will be. I don't think anyone envisions it looking like that (I certainly don't).

It basically feels like the equivalent of assuming people will think of Vatican City with Small Country level.

Truth be told, when most people think of small island, they would likely think of something at least a kilometre across.

The images Antvasima posted are of islets. An islet is an especially small island which is considered too small to be habitable.

Well, that is what I associate with the designation in any case. It is the "Small" part that sets it apart.

But even 1 kilometre islands (which are much more uncommon than considerably smaller islands in my country) would be far too small for an appropriate intuitive estimation.

Yeah, as I said above, I'm fine with "Large Mountain level". Especially since busting the largest mountains does actually require Gigatons of energy.

@Soldier Blue

Thank you for the support.

Well, I would very much appreciate if we could get rid of it for the sake of coherent structure and to avoid misunderstandings from contributors and visitors alike.

I'm pretty neutral on the 7-A related names as a Small Island is still significantly larger than a Large City and Mountain (Save for when fictional location or a feat proven otherwise). I think they are fine as they are. Other names, however, I have no issue with.

I once had a problem like this with High 6-A/Large Continent level. I saw another profile say High 6-A/Multi-Continent level.

This lead to me being confused until I asked the difference and was told their was no difference.

For the most part I agree with Kaltias.

@Dino Ranger Black

Even if we consider a small island to be 1 kilometre wide, as Soldier Blue suggested, it would still be far smaller than a regular-sized city.

I agree with most of the proposed tier name revisions, though for 7-A it would probably just be simpler to call just call it Mountain level like Kal and Solider said.

I'm glad this was made. I was going to add this to my list of things to get to, actually.

9-A: Supporting Small Building level

7-A: Supporting Mountain level. Also I am completely for removing ALL double tier names, even if both make sense. It is just more consistent.

High 7-A: Supporting Large Mountain level. This makes more sense and gives a better visualization of what the tier is rather than "small island," which could be called a misnomer.

High 6-B: Supporting Large Country level

High 6-A: Supporting Multi-Continent level

I've never thought of some ridiculously tiny piece of land when I heard Small Island level. I thought of an island of considerable size yet smaller than most other islands. And that was even before I had the context of Small Island level being higher than City level. I'm sure most people feel the same and this wouldn't be an issue.

@SomebodyData & Assaltwaffle

Okay. Thank you. It seems like most people agree with using a single name for each tier then.

The problem is how this should be accomplished in practice. Darkanine handled a similar replacement problem with a script recently, but he is likely too busy IRL to do so again, and I am very overworked enough as it is.

Would anybody else be interested in temporarily installing the script and be extremely careful not to make any mistakes? Darkanine might be willing to explain how it works.

If it is too much work right now maybe it can be saved for the Summer after the Tier 4 revisions get carried out.

Well, Darkanine's script allowed him to singlehandedly make all of the previous replacement edits in a few hours, but if nobody is interested we will obviously have to wait.

@Ryukama

Sorry. We posted almost at the same time, so I did not see your post.

Anyway, I think that the association depends on what types of islands that people are used to, but even what I consider a fairly large island of 1 kilometer across would probably be smaller than a large town.

Regardless, enough people will probably misunderstand this for it to be an issue.

I mostly agree with Kaltias here.

Unrelated: since we're fixing the names for tiers now, will we ever get around to fixing the confusing names in tier 2?

If people are presented with the context of Small Island level being higher than City level, there's no way they're going to associate it with some backyard sized area.

Also we don't need to spoonfeed everything to a viewer. If they see a Small Island rating and are confused, they can simply read the Tiering System page and be immediately unconfused.

What should be done instead of assuming which will confuse or not confuse people though, is take the average size of a reasonable island to base more accurate titles on.

If most fairly small islands are still Low 7-C, then the name should be changed.

I mostly agree with Everlasting. I also agree that Large Country level and Multi-Continent level should replace Small and Large Continent level respectively.

I also agree with The Everlasting.

The way I see it, 9-A is like a shed or an apartment, 8-C is a house, and High 8-C is a high-rise or apartment building complex.

Mountain level is what most people think of and there aren't many profiles that use Large City level, so I support Mountain level.

I'm neutral on Large Mountain level or Small Island level. I never really imagined Small Islands as islets and I don't think anyone else has, but if it's confusing I have no problems with changing it.

I also agree with the Large Country and Multi-Continent level changes.

@Ryukama

Well, given that I have encountered quite a lot of problems with this over the years, I do not think that the issue is so clear-cut, and prefer to use a single more intuitively fitting term, in this case Large Mountain level, but I have mostly already said what I have to say, so I do not think that there is much point in going around in circles.

I agree with Ant on what people would think a small island would look like, like one of those movie scenes where a guy is trapped on an island with exactly one palm tree sending messages in a bottle.

I'm unsure about High 6-B. Australia is the sixth largest country even though it's also a continent. I think large country is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back