• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I'm not so sure if the site is more reliable here. Or, at least, I think if one used the site one likely needs to calculate it much differently.
If the pixel scaling is not entirely wrong, I would suspect that the base of Mt. Fuji is likely much larger than meets the eye, because it probably goes pretty flat towards the edges. If one wishes to take those flat edges into account one could not model it as a cone anymore, as that would inflate the result a lot.

So we would need to employ a more complicated model to consider this. The question is if we can find a good one. Theoretically, height maps from which one can compute a better value should exist. It's just a question of finding them and figuring out how to compute what one wants from them.

Actually, I googled and found this

That estimates a volume between 485km^3 to 508km^3 based on two different approaches. For comparison, our current value is 418.1 km^3.
So that would be a small upgrade, I guess.

Actually, I googled and found this

That estimates a volume between 485km^3 to 508km^3 based on two different approaches. For comparison, our current value is 418.1 km^3.
So that would be a small upgrade, I guess.

I was going to say about volume, after posting the thread I found this document, which says about the Fuji volume. It is basically the same number

I was going to say about volume, after posting the thread I found this document, which says about the Fuji volume. It is basically the same number
That says approximately 400km^3, while the video is more in the area of approximately 500km^3. That said, I'm inclined to believe that they have rounded down there and the video is more accurate. Mostly because I have no idea where the information in that document comes from, while I know that the volume in the video was computed from the google earth height map via integrals, which should be reasonably accurate.
So personally I would go with 485 km^3.

That says approximately 400km^3, while the video is more in the area of approximately 500km^3. That said, I'm inclined to believe that they have rounded down there and the video is more accurate. Mostly because I have no idea where the information in that document comes from, while I know that the volume in the video was computed from the google earth height map via integrals, which should be reasonably accurate.
So personally I would go with 485 km^3.
How do you find the radius from that volume for calcs?

Edit: NVM i could just plug it into a calculator lol

Edit 2: Does this change anything on the wiki though?

Edit 3: Looks like in the YouTube video Link at this time frame he is using 20km radius for that method (So 40km diameter) Good info for an earthquake calc i need lol

Last edited:
The vaporization value for Mt. Fuji is also incorrect, or as what I can tell.
The original uses 4.181e17 cm^3 with a vaporization of 27,050 j/cc, which I got ~1.131e22 joules (Small Country level)
But the page says 3.345e22 joules, which is Country level, so I don't know if this was a mistake.

Also, why is it 27,050 j/cc? Isn't the vaporization value of rock 25,700 j/cc, unless the value was different a few years back?

Fair enough, but the frag, v. frag, and pulverization values still use values for rock (8 j/cc, 69 j/cc, and 214 j/cc respectively).

Although this page states that Mount Fuji is made mostly from basaltic rock, setting it apart from the common andesite volcanoes of Japan.
"Mt. Fuji has a stratovolcanic structure resulting from sequences over vivacious volcanic activity which created multiple layers of lava and volcanic projectiles. This volcanic ejecta is made of basaltic rock, setting it apart from the more common andesite volcanoes of Japan."

And I know we have values for basalt.
Basalt20 j/cc60-200 j/cc244 j/ccNo value for vaporization, although granite can probably be used for it.

If the 485km^3 gets accepted, and if basalt values are used instead of granite, then destroying Mount Fuji will take:

Fragmentation: 4.85E17cc x 20 j/cc = 9.7E18 Joules (Large Mountain level)
(Low-end) Violent Fragmentation: 4.85E17cc x 60 j/cc = 2.91E19 Joules (Island level)
(Mid-end) Violent Fragmentation: 4.85E17cc x 130 j/cc = 6.305E19 Joules (Island level)
(High-end) Violent Fragmentation: 4.85E17cc x 200 j/cc = 9.7E19 Joules (Island level)
Pulverization: 4.85E17cc x 244 j/cc = 1.1834E20 Joules (Island level)
Vaporization: 4.85E17cc x 27,050 (if granite value is used) j/cc = 1.311925E22 Joules (Small Country level)

Last edited:
DontTalkDT already accepted this and he's a pretty important consultant for calc formulas on the wiki in general (Plus he's a mod) so you could ask him again to help out with the edits.

Back