• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Warren Valion said:
I'm a just say it.

Jojo's artstyle is ******* ugly and so are the character designs, none of them should ever be on this type of list.
triggered

But seriously tho, I do agree that the Araki's early artstyle wasn't very good. The character designs were too bulky for comfort. But I do think it did change for the better in late Part 4 when he dropped the macho dudes for more realistic character designs. His artstyle from then on just became more museum painting-like. Just look at the covers from Parts 4-8. Heck, it even got shown in the Louvre.

@stand, I don't know, I find the manga art of Togashi, Toriyama, Otomo, Ōkubo, and Kishimoto to be more appealing.

I mean, I thing I'm more into manga/anime/video game art that is cutesy at first glance but is able to in a way display realistic violence

Standuser081 said:
triggered

But seriously tho, I do agree that the Araki's early artstyle wasn't very good. The character designs were too bulky for comfort. But I do think it did change for the better in late Part 4 when he dropped the macho dudes for more realistic character designs. His artstyle from then on just became more museum painting-like. Just look at the covers from Parts 4-8. Heck, it even got shown in the Louvre.
I just hate "manly" art styles. There soooooo unappealing to view.

Like look at this:

Al-santos-guts2
272559-fist-of-the-north-star

JoJo s Bizarre Adventure Anime Screengrab

F98b2d2155e494d5bfbddd7ea9b3c144

402ff3510430d587260ceefeba589765
And compare it to something like this:
Glory

"Manly" art styles are, in opinion, visually disgusting. And in anime, where everything is drawn, I refuse to call them beautiful.

I think it depends on your location more than anything. A masculine figure would be more appreciated than an anime pretty boy where I am (USA), but that may be different in other places. Its also largely subjective.

Wokistan said:
I think it depends on your location more than anything. A masculine figure would be more appreciated than an anime pretty boy where I am (USA), but that may be different in other places. Its also largely subjective.
I know it's subjective, lol. I'm just messing around with this thread.

I was addressing what warren said more than the existence of this thread. It is something that'd work better as an individual thing though. Everyone's got their preferences, cultural sensibilities, differences in sexuality, etc.

As for why a muscular figure is considered attractive, from a male perspective, to me is more about what it represents. Beyond mere aesthetics, a muscular figure represents commitment, a drive for self improvement, and high physical aptitude. Commitment comes from how even with some people's genetics in terms of muscle growth being better than that of others, it still takes consistent time and effort to get really ripped, as well as a considerable amount of discipline. A drive for self improvement comes from how there's not really a reason to do that, especially when you have to deal with things like time restrictions and physical pain, if you aren't committed to making yourself better for any number of reasons, and a high physical aptitude should be pretty obvious. This, to me, is why I appreciate a more muscular figure more than the super slender ones typical in anime especially for strong characters, as being someone into lifting, I appreciate musculature for what it represents. No shame on you for not sharing my preference though.

Wokistan said:
I was addressing what warren said more than the existence of this thread. It is something that'd work better as an individual thing though. Everyone's got their preferences, cultural sensibilities, differences in sexuality, etc.
Obviously everyone is going to have different preferences, like I even mentioned that.

I just like characters with an aesthetically pleasing and healthy looking physique.

Characters that look like steroid-abusing bodybuilders, with deeply-shadowed facial features, large lips, and humongous eyebrows don't look healthy or appealing in the slightest.

Jojo physiques are weird, I'll give you that, but Guts is pretty reasonable. He's very toned and muscular, but he's not like that to the point of absurdity. Deeply shadowed facial features generally would come from more prominence in the facial bone structure, generally considered more masculine, and lips and eyebrows are often tied to ethnicity. Asian males, from which the standard for anime characters are probably derived, generally don't have lips or eyebrows as prominent as say a black male.

Debates about what type of men are attractive > debates about fictional characters

Wokistan said:
As for why a muscular figure is considered attractive, from a male perspective, to me is more about what it represents. Beyond mere aesthetics, a muscular figure represents commitment, a drive for self improvement, and high physical aptitude. Commitment comes from how even with some people's genetics in terms of muscle growth being better than that of others, it still takes consistent time and effort to get really ripped, as well as a considerable amount of discipline. A drive for self improvement comes from how there's not really a reason to do that, especially when you have to deal with things like time restrictions and physical pain, if you aren't committed to making yourself better for any number of reasons, and a high physical aptitude should be pretty obvious. This, to me, is why I appreciate a more muscular figure more than the super slender ones typical in anime especially for strong characters, as being someone into lifting, I appreciate musculature for what it represents. No shame on you for not sharing my preference though.
It's not that I don't like the look of a muscular figure.

None of the people I picked have thin figures, they are all rocking seriously defined muscle obtained through strenuous work.

Its a different type of muscule. They're generally more toned, kinda like that of a swimmer or distance runner as opposed to the bulkier muscle found on like a powerlifter or American football/rugby player or sprinter. Ichigo kinda looks small to me though, not really sure why. Maybe its just his arms.

Ladies, ladies. Why not just enjoy both like sane people?

@Saikou

If only I couldn't see his thighs, that pic would be amazing.

Wokistan said:
Jojo physiques are weird, I'll give you that, but Guts is pretty reasonable. He's very toned and muscular, but he's not like that to the point of absurdity. Deeply shadowed facial features generally would come from more prominence in the facial bone structure, generally considered more masculine, and lips and eyebrows are often tied to ethnicity. Asian males, from which the standard for anime characters are probably derived, generally don't have lips or eyebrows as prominent as say a black male.
No, I think Guts physique is fine, I also was demonstrating the types of artstyles I abhor veres the ones I like.

Another example is One Piece. That's an art style I find disgusting, but I wouldn't say the main characters have gross looking physiques.

I mean, with Berserk its not like everyone's as masculine as Guts. Just look at Griffith.

Personally though, I'm not as into anime/animeesque artstyles as opposed to more western ones, so I may just be biased against their conventions.

Wokistan said:
I mean, with Berserk its not like everyone's as masculine as Guts. Just look at Griffith.
I know nothing about Beresk except that the main character's name is Guts and he wields a big sword.

Berserk is actually great. One of the few series to actually acknowledge that the protagonist's sword is unreasonably large lol. (The in universe reason he has it is because he started sword training at a super young age with an adult sized sword and just kinda scaled up from there. He used a more regular great sword, which is still much longer than a more typical short sword, for a while.)

@Warren. I see what you mean with art styles. I can't get behind most of today's anime's art styles as most characters just look innately generic, even if they are as far from generic as you can get. For example, I freaking love Konosuba, but Kazuma, as interesting and subversive as he is, looks like yet another light novel protagonist. And K-On's characters, despite defining the moe genre, look generic to me as well. Which is why I appreciate the heck out of MHA and OPM. Obviously, there's other series that are after the HST era that stand out as well.

You can ask me about the one manga I actually follow on my wall if you like, as it would likely be derailing this thread to continue.

Woah. What an interesting thread.

I do believe that being attracted to femininity isn't inherently gay, but still liking them after knowimg the fact is a bit more "open" or "fluid" than the straightforward and closed mind of a straight guy.

The real cal howard said:
@Warren. I see what you mean with art styles. I can't get behind most of today's anime's art styles as most characters just look innately generic, even if they are as far from generic as you can get. For example, I freaking love Konosuba, but Kazuma, as interesting and subversive as he is, looks like yet another light novel protagonist. And K-On's characters, despite defining the moe genre, look generic to me as well. Which is why I appreciate the heck out of MHA and OPM. Obviously, there's other series that are after the HST era that stand out as well.
I'm ambivalent about generic art styles like I'd rather have something that looks unique and good, but if it's unique and ugly, then I'd rather it be generic, to be honest.

Wokistan said:
Personally though, I'm not as into anime/animeesque artstyles as opposed to more western ones, so I may just be biased against their conventions.
I'm somewhere in the middle of that. What I appreciate about anime is that nine times out of ten, the characters will look attractive, or at least normal. Western shows have far more anthropomorphism and the like so I can't say the same. In terms of art, for Western shows that aren't anime inspired that have characters that look normal, you'd have to resort to early Warner Bros. (i.e. Freakazoid), DC/Marvel, or 80's cartoons like He-Man or Jem and the Holograms.

Related to the anime artstyle thing, I'd honestly take anime artstyle over comic books-style or realistic-style stuff, since the latter are even more generic to me. It's why I violently shy away from any live-action stuff.

Back