• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mortal Kombat 1 Discussion Thread

Yeah it's really cool he's getting another shot, he was a really good concept in MK11 but his execution left a lot to be desired so hopefully this time they really pull out all the stops for him.
I'm just wondering why he's still bound to serve when lots of his character is about wanting to put an end to it all and find peace in death
So Liu now has spatial Manipulation, Gravity Manipulation and resistance to both Gravity and Radiation (which tbh he probably should have had for Aftermath)
My ass had doubts whether the end of time was actually outer space, nice to see it finally confirmed here

So I'm sure we all know that's not a real black hole but it does spaghettify his opponent

I'm just wondering why he's still bound to serve when lots of his character is about wanting to put an end to it all and find peace in death
Honestly I think Geras serves of his own volition now
My ass had doubts whether the end of time was actually outer space, nice to see it finally confirmed
Same but it’s consistent now I guess
So I'm sure we all know that's not a real black hole but it does spaghettify his opponent
Nah let me have Solar System Liu
I hope he has this level of power in the story mode so we can put most of the fatality =/= non-canon stuff to a nice and eternal sleep
bro if we get Star Level MK Shao Kahn vs Gargos is viable

Honestly I think Geras serves of his own volition now

Same but it’s consistent now I guess

Nah let me have Solar System Liu

bro if we get Star Level MK Shao Kahn vs Gargos is viable
Yeah we'll see about Tier 4 MK, saying that just makes me go DAAMN

Also while everyone's focused on Liu Kang's spaghetti maker, anyone know what Geras did in his fatal blow where it looked like he pulled an INJ2 Flash super move on Rain?

I hope he has this level of power in the story mode so we can put most of the fatality =/= non-canon stuff to a nice and eternal sleep
I doubt anything like this happens in game history.

Fatalites are always "exaggerated" as they said.

MK's dimensionalism looks like a cartoon, everyone can get hurt and win, what depends on the script.

I think the most we could have would be own tier. Like Liu Kang having level 4 just creating the black hole, and cetrion level 5 for size manipulation, things that wouldn't scale for anyone.

I doubt anything like this happens in game history.

Fatalites are always "exaggerated" as they said.

MK's dimensionalism looks like a cartoon, everyone can get hurt and win, what depends on the script.

I think the most we could have would be own tier. Like Liu Kang having level 4 just creating the black hole, and cetrion level 5 for size manipulation, things that wouldn't scale for anyone.
Yeah I was thinking that the more ridiculous feats that are well within the fighter's capabilities (such as their abilities being canon and not an outlier, unlike Smoke's planet busting) would not scale to anyone but the one who does it because these are finisher moves. Unless we see a character react to Cetrion's space beam or survive Liu Kang's black hole in the story, no one's scaling to it. But it's too early to say

Also I have news that the Geras we're seeing is MK11 Geras reconstructed by Liu who still retains memories of the timelines that came before

If Geras is supposed to be the guardian of the Hourglass, I hope Liu built him better than Kronika did, since he was a pretty shitty enforcer in MK11.

If Geras is supposed to be the guardian of the Hourglass, I hope Liu built him better than Kronika did, since he was a pretty shitty enforcer in MK11.
He seems to be a friend and advisor to Liu, unlike Kronika whom she served as her enforcer only. IIRC she shut Geras up when he tried to warn her about Shang in Aftermath. He was just a puppet to her.

Also he's a good guy and good guys always win in MK. Even if they die, they still score a respectable amount of fights.

Our rules about black holes are pretty strict, so it's gonna be hard to get this accepted.
The least he'll get is spatial and gravity manip because of the depiction of spaghettification. Then there's his ability to travel into outer space and survive there
On my knees praying for 5-A MK so that I can do some Zelda matches with them. Liu Kang vs Ganondorf would go hard.
The possibilities are endless

I'm wondering how much of a role Shao will have in the game, we already know that he's the one who helped Rain hone his water sorcery due to the latters official bio

I'm wondering how much of a role Shao will have in the game, we already know that he's the one who helped Rain hone his water sorcery due to the latters official bio
Judging by the bits and pieces fed to us by the trailers and bios, General Shao (not Shao Kahn anymore since he isn't a Kahn aka emperor) is a commander of the Outworld armies and he seems to be a talent seeker for the Outworld royal court judging by Rain's bio. He also seems to be loyal to Outworld and Shang Tsung used that to "poison" him into overthrowing the Outworld throne with his own regime by deluding him into thinking that he alone can save it, implying that the realm is in the middle of a crisis, like the Tarkat disease spreading all over Outworld plus it has already infected Mileena, one of the royal family members and the heir to the throne.

Imho if we end up considering the black hole legit, Liu could very well be "5-A via Spaghettality" anyway.

Also, I was thinking that it might be kinda cool to have Kronika resurrected too and see what kind of role would Liu give or try to give her. After all, he brought back Shao Kahn, which means that even pricks like Shinnok, Onaga and company should still be present in the world or history.
Still, I know that elder gods and titans kinda fall out of territory, and Liu might have wanted to be the one and only god.

Imho if we end up considering the black hole legit, Liu could very well be "5-A via Spaghettality" anyway.

Also, I was thinking that it might be kinda cool to have Kronika resurrected too and see what kind of role would Liu give or try to give her. After all, he brought back Shao Kahn, which means that even pricks like Shinnok, Onaga and company should still be present in the world or history.
Still, I know that elder gods and titans kinda fall out of territory, and Liu might have wanted to be the one and only god.
Probably for the next MK CRT for the NRS dudes, some fighters are missing some powers like Raiden and we can discuss that black hole there

The Elder Gods still exist in this timeline

That's a pretty stupid quote tbh, he's already superior to the elder gods and even the titans, so what's the point for him to say such a thing?

That's a pretty stupid quote tbh, he's already superior to the elder gods and even the titans, so what's the point for him to say such a thing?
Too early to say as usual. Then there's Liu saying that he's still a demigod like Raiden and Fujin.

Speaking of end of round lines, can MK profiles benefit from dialogue within a match? Especially MK1's. They don't gain any new powers/abilities, but there's some interesting stuff I've heard from them like potential additions to their combat intelligence

He might still be a demigod, but that doesn't change the fact he kicked Cetrion and Kronika's ass in the last game, and the endings of other characters in 11 show them consistently take on other titans.

I'm fine with dialogues, even for P&A, as long as they don't explicitly contradict more consistent material.
I generally always use quotes for fg files, and just discard those that are blatant belittlement as a result of a character winning through game mechanics (i.e. not using those for scaling or "your power doesn't work on me")

He might still be a demigod, but that doesn't change the fact he kicked Cetrion and Kronika's ass in the last game, and the endings of other characters in 11 show them consistently take on other titans.

I'm fine with dialogues, even for P&A, as long as they don't explicitly contradict more consistent material.
I generally always use quotes for fg files, and just discard those that are blatant belittlement as a result of a character winning through game mechanics (i.e. not using those for scaling or "your power doesn't work on me")
Yeah there's stuff like MK1 Kitana saying something along the lines of "What even is your game plan?" or something like that, making me think that she can analyze her opponent judging by how they fought her. No stuff like MKX Quan Chi saying to MKX Scorpion "You've lost your sting" when he beats the shit out of him in a match

Tbh based off statements he’s just on Titan levels but yeah it’s weird
Oo dope, I can think of a few characters getting resistances based off this

Oo dope, I can think of a few characters getting resistances based off this
I'd like to see them and check if they're ok
Just? Titans are stronger than the EG

Gotta be careful with those, because depending on the context it could be more gameplay-induced bragging rights, rather than reliable lore.
To add on that Elder God blessing quote, we don't know what that blessing includes, it doesn't always imply AP or new abilities and it could just be a blessing of a title/role or something else. The Elder Gods afaik govern all realms and Liu Kang is just Earthrealm's protector and not the overlord of all reality. He may have the Hourglass but he doesn't shape all the realms to his will, unlike Kronika. Personal headcanon is that he was appointed as the protector of Earthrealm by the Elder Gods (hence the blessing) and he didn't just give that title to himself

Ditto on that

I think it's more like the classic irl "may god help me" and such, as it's supposed to be omnipotent and shit.

As long as the elder gods were just referred to as mysterious entities I could even have bought that, but since MK9 we know they are more like super powered beings, which can't shape fate to their will, or at least we have no reason to believe that.

Moreover, Liu Kang might not have their powers nor have the official title, but it doesn't change the fact that he could still show up to their house and kick their ass a dozen times.

It already felt weird for Raiden to say that, even though he might at least have received the benefit of the power boost (like in the ending of 9), but Liu is just already stronger than them and the entities that in turn are even more stronger.

Back