• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mortal Kombat 1 Discussion Thread

I also think the Hourglass allows one to manipulate fate, tho it heavily depends on one's proficiency with it and likely individual actions, since Kronika failed to achieve her perfect timeline uncountable times and other characters had to restart it over and over again in their endings.

Yeah but I remember that being rejected for some reason. Also

MK1 news and new gameplay coming July 21, featuring a panel that has Boon, Dom, and three VAs for MK1 including Yuri Lowenthal (Smoke), Vincent Rodriguez III (Raiden) and Kelly Hu, whose role in MK1 is TBA but she's known for voicing D'Vorah in the last two MKs. Some surprise guest panelists are joining them too

Yeah but I remember that being rejected for some reason. Also

MK1 news and new gameplay coming July 21, featuring a panel that has Boon, Dom, and three VAs for MK1 including Yuri Lowenthal (Smoke), Vincent Rodriguez III (Raiden) and Kelly Hu, whose role in MK1 is TBA but she's known for voicing D'Vorah in the last two MKs. Some surprise guest panelists are joining them too
No, please no D'Vorah, I can't take any more of her shenanigans

D'Vorah seems like a threat that Liu Kang would preemptively erase from his New Era. She's a snake with potential to be a danger to the peace he keeps. I imagine Kelly Hu will voice a new character (she's going to voice Ashrah in the latest MK animated movie)

My guess is Ashrah since she’s also in the JK movie and she’s a wanted charzxter

also I found new Onslaught stuff
  • Liu Kang can summon the MK dragon behind an opponent in gameplay (like his Blow in 11)
  • Shao again taught Skarlet blood Magic (so he’d probably get all her stuff) (story mode)
  • Kitana might get Weapon Control for calling her fans back to her (gameplay)
  • Tanya is “quite skilled with the NerherRealm’s Magic” (story mode)
  • seemingly Kung Lao can summon the Great Kung Lao in combat (gameplay)
  • Raiden can summon his staff from lightning (gameplay)
  • Quan Chi can conjure fiery portals (gameplay)
  • Shang shoots fireballs (gameplay)

I’ll split this more professionally later but yeah it’s mostly recycled assets from MK11 (the Raiden animation is from an intro). What’s wild though is Full Power Shinnok can destroy Realms somehow (depending on how big those are in this continuity that could be wild).

less crazy is Shao is so feared by Outworld not even Goro is willing to fight him, with Kitana herself implying she’d need the Shokan for any challenge of Shao

Last edited:
Shinnok also granted Tanya powers like

Tanya can also beat a fatigued Kitana in Kombat, worth noting she’s absolutely fatigued here though so it’s not a one to one (and she loses after lmao). Speaking of Kitana, she can use her weapons to fly much like in the main games, consistent with an attack of hers in the game.

Quan Chi is the main thing though, with prep he can cast a "spell of resurrection", allowing him to revive Sindel. Also worth noting the language seems to imply he's making her evil like in MK9 so, unless this is an MK11 situation, he'd get Mind Manipulation as well. Quan Chi also just summons Oni lmao, man is calling the jobbers.

In general I’d argue he’s the most impressive character from a hax perspective, especially when gameplay buffs are considered. Shang Tsung can create Mileena as expected (seemingly by "merging essences") which isn’t crazy but nice to see he has it

Last edited:
Shinnok also granted Tanya powers like

Tanya can also beat a fatigued Kitana in Kombat, worth noting she’s absolutely fatigued here though so it’s not a one to one (and she loses after lmao). Speaking of Kitana, she can use her weapons to fly much like in the main games, consistent with an attack of hers in the game.

Quan Chi is the main thing though, with prep he can cast a "spell of resurrection", allowing him to revive Sindel. Also worth noting the language seems to imply he's making her evil like in MK9 so, unless this is an MK11 situation, he'd get Mind Manipulation as well. Quan Chi also just summons Oni lmao, man is calling the jobbers.

In general I’d argue he’s the most impressive character from a hax perspective, especially when gameplay buffs are considered. Shang Tsung can create Mileena as expected (seemingly by "merging essences") which isn’t crazy but nice to see he has it
Ok on Shinnok's bestowing such powers to Tanya

Seems like Quan Chi had to draw from Shinnok's power (which was sealed in the Crown of Jerrod) to resurrect her, perhaps why he needed it for the resurrection spell.

Also it looks like soul stones and their magic properties have returned from Deception (except they channel the Netherrealm's dark magic now, though it probably sounds like it still restores magic), probably implies that the Netherrealm might drain magic like in the Midway games and MKvsDC

Ok on Shinnok's bestowing such powers to Tanya
We’d also likely assume he could replicate them no? Especially since the Klarion already gives Summoning of Oni
Seems like Quan Chi had to draw from Shinnok's power (which was sealed in the Crown of Jerrod) to resurrect her, perhaps why he needed it for the resurrection spell.
Yep, it’s also possible there’s more specific magic connecting it to Kitana (since she mentions feeling something in its presence)
Also it looks like soul stones and their magic properties have returned from Deception (except they channel the Netherrealm's dark magic now, though it probably sounds like it still restores magic), probably implies that the Netherrealm might drain magic like in the Midway games and MKvsDC
That I didn’t catch, would be interesting if that and Scorpion’s Empowerment Carries over

We’d also likely assume he could replicate them no? Especially since the Klarion already gives Summoning of Oni

Yep, it’s also possible there’s more specific magic connecting it to Kitana (since she mentions feeling something in its presence)

That I didn’t catch, would be interesting if that and Scorpion’s Empowerment Carries over
Yeah the Klarion is one of the relics containing Shinnok's severed power so he scales to it

What is this specific magic connected to Kitana?

For that to happen NRS would have to reveal the Netherrealm's lower planes of existence, especially the fifth plane. Needs to be explicitly stated that they drain magic too

MK1 is already an massive improvement from MK11, god the previous game is basically "no fun allowed" with all of that stupid mechanics

Tho the trash zoning syndrome are still going to be around likely so f*** me lel

Yeah it's already looking nuts, some characters look like they're still their good old selves with more options while some are transformed completely like puppet character Kenshi and pure rushdown Johnny Cage. Actual 30% - 50% combos with more meterless launchers and kameos instead of doing very specific conditoins is insane

Game does seem slow in terms of movement like the dashes, even moreso than MK11, but I think the krazy stuff that kameos give you fix that plus NRS seems to acknowledge the problem for now

Zoning is always going to be strong in NRS games, but at least for now it doesn't look like the Injustice games. At least MK1 Sub-Zero has two projectiles that destroy other projectiles like his enhanced ice ball and his ice klone charge with or without meter

Yeah it's already looking nuts, some characters look like they're still their good old selves with more options while some are transformed completely like puppet character Kenshi and pure rushdown Johnny Cage. Actual 30% - 50% combos with more meterless launchers and kameos instead of doing very specific conditoins is insane
Kenshi just breath and then in the second you lost more than half of your health bar 💀💀💀
Game does seem slow in terms of movement like the dashes, even moreso than MK11, but I think the krazy stuff that kameos give you fix that plus NRS seems to acknowledge the problem for now
The first Kombat Kast indicated that they have increased the speed iirc, Kano is faster now
Zoning is always going to be strong in NRS games, but at least for now it doesn't look like the Injustice games. At least MK1 Sub-Zero has two projectiles that destroy other projectiles like his enhanced ice ball and his ice klone charge with or without meter
Ehm....Cetrion, Robocop, Skarlet?

Kenshi just breath and then in the second you lost more than half of your health bar 💀💀💀

The first Kombat Kast indicated that they have increased the speed iirc, Kano is faster now

Ehm....Cetrion, Robocop, Skarlet?
What's insane is that his puppet ghost (or spirit ancestor as the game calls it) is that it can turn any string that doesn't launch into an actual launcher with what seems to be his overhead sword slice thing. Seems like he's going to be this game's Geras where he starts out super strong in the early stage but gets nerfed over time but still top tier. Kenshi always cooking throughout MK9 to MK1

Yeah that was one of the first things I noticed. I get that Kano wants to disrespect his opponent but there's a fight going on mate

Not sure what you're trying to say with these three, I get that they're super annoying zoners but that's it. We don't even how zoning is going to be in this game apart from a glimpse of Rain's gameplay, plus there's less maximum space between fighters than previous games.

New voice actors for Mortal Kombat 1 revealed so far
  • Kaiji Von Tang (English dub for Jujutsu Kaisen, Guilty Gear, Ghost of Tsushima, the Fate stay/night movies) as Bi-Han
  • Alan Lee (Engilsh dub for Genshin Impact, One Punch Man) as Shang Tsung
  • Yuri Lowenthal (do I even need to say anything about this legend) as Smoke
  • Vincent Rodriguez III (first video game VA role, but has roles in The Ghost and Molly McGee and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) as Raiden
  • Daisuke Tsuji (Ghost of Tsushima) as Scorpion
  • Noshir Dalal (Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, No More Heroes 3) as Rain
The voice actors of Mileena, Kitana, Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, and Kenshi from their last appearances are the same

Kinda of bummer that Hiroyuki Togawa didn't reprise his role as Shang Tsung in this installment lel
Tagawa was great in MK11 and Aftermath, but it seems like Shang Tsung is going to be younger in this game, so they probably chose not to use old Shang who was wiped out from the timeline. There were leaks saying that this young Shang is going to be manipulated by Damashi, the deceptive astral puppet of the long gone MK antagonist Onaga.

Tagawa was great in MK11 and Aftermath, but it seems like Shang Tsung is going to be younger in this game, so they probably chose not to use old Shang who was wiped out from the timeline. There were leaks saying that this young Shang is going to be manipulated by Damashi, the deceptive astral puppet of the long gone MK antagonist Onaga.
I'm more buying on the theory that this Shang Tsung is the MK11 Shang Tsung from Aftermath Bad Ending that invaded Liu Kang New World but the one you said here could be true

I'm more buying on the theory that this Shang Tsung is the MK11 Shang Tsung from Aftermath Bad Ending that invaded Liu Kang New World but the one you said here could be true
It can't be Shang from the bad ending because both FG Liu and Keeper of Time Shang come from the same timeline/universe where they fought for the Hourglass. Since he was erased canonically, this Shang can't come back unless there was another timeline where FG Liu and KoT Shang fought each other to claim the Hourglass.
A bit of a shame Steve Blum isn't reprising his role as Sub-Zero, but the new VA sounds good
His role in MKX was the best imo, especially with how his mask in that game gave him a cool voice filter
Speaking of shame

MK Onslaught makes Shao nearly die to Kitana, implying she’s on his level
Would appreciate a link to that

So from what I'm seeing, Kitana is a high tier now and looks like Frost has already left the Lin Kuei to serve Outworld. Apparently she broke Kotal and put him in a wheelchair she did it through unknown means. I somehow thought that she has become a cyborg now.
Yep, also interesting is it seems most characters scale to each other funnily
Fighting game scaling amirite

So from what I'm seeing, Kitana is a high tier now and looks like Frost has already left the Lin Kuei to serve Outworld. Apparently she broke Kotal and put him in a wheelchair she did it through unknown means. I somehow thought that she has become a cyborg now.
Yeah Frost left back in Scorpion's chapter lmao, I guess she immediately got a job with the Outworld bois (really think this fits someone like Kollector more). I could defo see this being how the Cyber LK and her MK11 upgrades become a thing though (since Sektor and CYrax are coming eventually)
Fighting game scaling amirite
Honestly I'm beginning to wonder if there even is tiering in Onslaught, Fujin is controlled by Skarlet and loses to Johnny Cage for instance, the only real consensus seems to be that Shinnok is the GOAT

Eh frankly it's not that bad, it's just a disagreement and nothing more

MK1 is around the corner and a new trailer is coming up so let's look forward to that, maybe things can change

Well if it's any comfort, you can't say MK is a doomed verse because there's literally a huge game coming up. A future with lots of things to get busy with if not a doomed future. Better to have something to get busy with than leaving MK in the dust. There's big potential for upgrades and how we tier MK as a whole in this site (Scorpion explicitly melting metal and Bi-Han seemingly dispersing a snowstorm is huge) and even potentially uniting the timelines after the NRS era changed so much with the constant retcons

Well if it's any comfort, you can't say MK is a doomed verse because there's literally a huge game coming up. A future with lots of things to get busy with if not a doomed future. Better to have something to get busy with than leaving MK in the dust. There's big potential for upgrades and how we tier MK as a whole in this site (Scorpion explicitly melting metal and Bi-Han seemingly dispersing a snowstorm is huge) and even potentially uniting the timelines after the NRS era changed so much with the constant retcons
Exactly, so all of that was an overexaggeration

Don't forget
Geras is leaked so we already have possible scaling if not outright upscaling from the previous Era's top tiers like Shao

Back