• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Protection or not, she can't leave it as she has no abilities that would let her do so.

I don't know how D&D mechanics work in-universe, although I'm certain there's something that lets you cast with a thought.

... something being possible to cast with a tought doesn't help much. Anything that has travel time or casting time would be unlikely to hit anything but glithes left behind by erasure, and stuff on toufght would need to be useful

I'm pretty certain it doesn't have a travel time, there are many spells that instatly affect other opponents.

Also, high levels of counterspell can counter divine spells, which include EE attacks and reality warping. Couldn't the Wizard just counter Monika's abilities?

Again, are those on tought..? If not, its not really useful. There being many abilities that are instantenious isn't the point at all, its whenever or not the one's that are are usefull here at all.

Plus, that sounds more made specifivly against divine stuff instead of the ability itself.

• Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell

So wea are going to cherry pick the equipment he has as well? Nice.

And still, it litiraly says "when you see a creature casting a spell", he wouldn't see her casting a spell for the simply fact that hers is instantanious. He would need to stop her before she started.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
So wea are going to cherry pick the equipment he has as well? Nice.
And still, it litiraly says "when you see a creature casting a spell", he wouldn't see her casting a spell for the simply fact that hers is instantanious. He would need to stop her before she started.
Nah, the profile has all spells/abiltiies of the Wizard, so we can assume they have acess to all of their equipment. As you said, in games, we look at every outcome.

He would see her casting the spell with precog, and cast Counterspell simultaneously as Monica tries to erase herself.

No, we don't assume every equipment is on at once, ever. We assume they can put them on, not that they always have it. The fight betweenm the bounty hunter and the hunter (bloodborne) is a great exemple for that.

Would like a description of the precognition, but the description says that you have to use it while the spell is being cast.

Normaly we prefer to have the OP point it out really, but I see the higher AP one's being assumed normaly.

It says "However, your vision is incomplete, and it makes no real sense until the actual events you glimpsed begin to unfold". It finishes once it starts, if she gets the chance to activate it she will be erased right away.

Also, how would that precog tell him that BFR willé work? It's supposed to show what happens if no-one interferes. Plus, can he spam it by end game to be able to see what works and what doesn't, because physicly killing monika only gets him frozen due to lag.

Also,

Near-complete knowledge of a particular future event and everything involving it.

what you see will probably happen if no one takes action to change it. However, your vision is incomplete, and it makes no real sense until the actual events you glimpsed begin to unfold.

See every possible action and react accordingly doesn't seem possible with this^.

Your awareness extends a fraction of a second into the future, allowing you to better evade an opponent's blows.

She wouldn't attack him here.

Active Precognition: You can attempt to see the future of a particular person, place, or object with which you are in contact (including yourself). You must be able to see or touch the subject of your power. This requires a full-round action and a Precognition skill check.

Not in contact. plus this: 1 standard actio, Each round represents 6 seconds in the game world

Spontaneous Visions: Second, your Precognition may spontaneously activate at the GM's discretion when you are in contact with a subject with particularly strong "vibes" or there is a momentous event approaching in the future. This also requires a Precognition skill check

He still isn't in contact.

Danger Sense: Finally, whenever you would normally be surprised in combat, you can make a Precognition check (DC 15). If successful, you are not surprised and can take an action during the surprise round.

Monika wouldn't attack him with it.

Near-complete knowledge of a particular future event and everything involving it.

That's a low-probablitiy event.

Ricsi-viragosi said:

That's a low-probablitiy event.
All of those are passive powers.

Probabilities can change on level, and we are assuming this is the Wizard at their strongest, so low-chance events would nearly be completely certain at that point.

And? He wouldn't be in contact, so nearly none would activate at all. Plus: defensive a litiraly says it needs 1 standard actio which is stated to be 6 seconds in game, or swift action, wich still takes time, but a small amount. Psychic only gives one yes or no asnwer. Precognition needs contact.

Plus, I feel like seeing the future to predict an action which alters time seems somewhat wrong

Not all of those abilities are on contact.

Precognition as a power is passive, and they'd start the battle with it.

Yes, but it litiraly says to need contact...

I don't doubt it would activate if an existing monika tried to interact with him, but that's not true here. And wich one isn't on contact? The one that llows to sense an ambush, wouldn't be very useful would it?

Only one of those pages says contact, the passives don't.

It doesn't need to "activate". It's a passive that lets them see a second/much longer with casting into the future. You're looking into game mechanics, the description itself simply explains that it's viewing a second into the future. That's enough for him to see Monica trying to erase herself, and begin casting counterspell or BFR at the same time.

How would he see that exactly, and again, can counterspeel null instantanious skills? Can we even equalize spels and info manip? What's the lore behind magic, that would help with that.

Which passives as well?

And again, nearly none say in any way that it allows to see several dozens of possibilities at once

He'd see her dissapearing, and probably want to do something about it?

Magic in D&D is variable in lore, I'd have to look at every edition/set to give you an answer on that.

This is a power, a passsive, and doesn't need activation.

You wouldn't need to see several dozen possibilities, just one. Such as seeing Monica dissapear and seeing themselves try an action that works on her. Then they'd start a BFR spell or counterspell in response.

First, why would he assume monika disapearing is a dangerous thing? or react to it with counter spell or BFR instead of trying to just kill her? Plus the erasure changes time retrospectivly as well, so I doubt the precognition would view it as a great event to point out, as it wouldn't affect anything in the world and it wouldn't work on monika after she erased herself.

Considering stuff like invisibility exists wholescale in D&D and is used offensively by Rogues, he'd probably be concerened.

He'd see himself trying to kill her with a regular attack and it doing Jack. Plus, seeing her powers far into the future would have them go to BFR as a natural conclusion.

The precognition doesn't tell him what is and isn't important, it just gives him the future and he can decide how to act on that.

(EDIT): Them being more likely to start with a mundane attack actually helps here: they would see themselves casting normal offensive spells and them not working as the future, and decide to opt for something that can just get her as far away as possible.

I mean. No, a wizard on a godly level is unlikely to open with a mundane attack. Wizards on this level can pretty much use whatever the hell they please and would likely start combat with massive buffs to their stats (Greater Mage Armor and so on) and then focus on high-tier attacks.

But honestly, I don't think I know of a way Wizard can win, and I've played a LOT of D&D.

So, I suppose we should put the thread on hold until D&D revisions are done, then. No worries.

Yeah. I've been working on the Wizard CRT but like... wizards have probably nearing a hundred publications dedicated to them. We know what their tiers should probably be (and they'd have a few, ranging from 9-B to their current), but they have a metric fuckton of abilities.

Well. No, not really. See, the Wizard is an ambiguous character. At the tier he's at, he'd realistically be able to attain the powers of every single other lesser god of the verse. That includes potentially millions of candidates, considering there are tons of Prime Materials, and with each one, you get a new little multiverse with tons of new gods, most of which are left unnamed and just function for the sake of having them.

The Wizard, as a PC-insert able to achieve this level, would technically have access to all of their powers, since they can be inserted into any spot they like and there's no cap on what god they must be. This would be NLF to point out the obvious, but even its godly tier would need a revision or two, and frankly, I don't know what to do with it.

Well, I'll wait for the crt. But there is no reason for him to believe that normal attacks wouldn't work. Monika would die because of them. If her consciusness were to become non-exsistent seeing the future wouldn't really matter because she would stop being part of time by that point.

There isn't a reason for him to believe that, you're right. But to say that he wouldn't open with big guns is a... well, a bit of a self-made rule, really. This wiki demands a character act in character. This character can act literally however it pleases because it isn't a character, it is a class that a person can mold into a character.

For all we know, the character may well just begin using magic missile and nothing else. It is a weird concept to use the Wizard on the wiki.

But yeah. Frankly, Monika will win most of the time regardless of how you consider the Wizard's standing as a character, purely because she will just say "lol delete.exe".

Back