• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

[Minor Page Change] A speed value is a little wrong (again).

SeijiSetto

VS Battles
Calculation Group
hi
this page says Relativistic Kinetic Energy is 4x higher than Newtonian KE at 93% SoL.
this is not true, it happens at ~96.82458% SoL, take your choice of significant figures.
idk if i have to make a thread for this or if i could have just asked a content mod to unlock it for like 5 minutes but we're here now so

@DontTalkDT

What do you think should be done here?
not in a rude way or anything but
why does DT need to be consulted here?
this is just a minor change that makes sure that the page is actually consistent in what it's saying.
it caps Relativistic KE at 4x higher than the Newtonian value. this happens at 0.9682c instead of 0.93c, which is what the page currently says.
i don't think this needs any approval besides a second pair of eyes making sure i didn't fuck up my math, which i'm pretty confident i didn't.

Well, I just want to make sure that he is fine with that we should change the 0.93c value rather than the 4x value, as it might mess up some of our currently accepted calculation blogs otherwise. 🙏

Rel.KE = (1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) -1) * m * c^2
KE = 0.5*m*v^2

Rel.KE/KE = 4
<=>
((1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) -1) * m * c^2) / (0.5*m*v^2) = 4
<=>
((1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) -1) * c^2) / (0.5*v^2) = 4

Speed of light = c = 299 792 458 m/s.
That gives v = 2.78988×10^8 m/s.
Ratio = 2.78988×10^8 / 299 792 458 = 0.93

Or am I mistaken at some point? Can you show your derivation?

Rel.KE = (1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) -1) * m * c^2
KE = 0.5*m*v^2

Rel.KE/KE = 4
<=>
((1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) -1) * m * c^2) / (0.5*m*v^2) = 4
<=>
((1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) -1) * c^2) / (0.5*v^2) = 4

Speed of light = c = 299 792 458 m/s.
That gives v = 2.78988×10^8 m/s.
Ratio = 2.78988×10^8 / 299 792 458 = 0.93

Or am I mistaken at some point? Can you show your derivation?
just to clarify, your rel KE formula (what you wrote on the first line) is this, right?
3yOEMXP.png

Back