• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Impossibly Massive Celestial Body Destruction Calcs are just Faster Than Light Kinetic Energy Calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, so how about the following text for the GBE page?

Limitations​

Gravitational Binding Energy only works as quantification for the destruction of things as long as they are not smaller than their own Schwarzschild radius. In reality objects of such a nature would always be black holes, but in fiction one frequently finds giant celestial objects which have not collapsed into such despite being inside their own Schwarzschild radius.
The trouble with such objects is that, according to proper physics, dispersing them should be impossible. I.e. their gravitational binding energy would be considered either infinite or just simply undefined. Hence quantifying the energy to disperse them becomes more difficult.
In case of actual black holes one would do it as described on the black hole feats in fiction page. In other cases there are several options to go through.

First, it is a good idea if there are other ends for the quantification of mass or size that are also valid and return physics-wise more reasonable results. The mass of rocky planets can, for example, be calculated by assuming they have a similar density to other rocky planets, like Earth or Mars. However, if the planet has a regular surface gravity another option is to quantify the planet's total mass via that. The planetary parameter calculator can, for example, be used for that purpose or the formula mass = (9.81 m/s^2 / gravitational constant) * (planet radius)^2. In some cases using density might give a very large result, while using surface gravity gives a more feasable one.

If all reasonable results still end of with the celestial body being inside its own Schwarzschild Radius, then two options remain. Either one quantifies the object like a black hole creation feat or one uses regular destruction values on the material the celestial object is made from.
Someone should check whether my formula for the mass is correct. I simply derived it using Newton's Law of universal gravitation, Force = mass * acceleration, the assumption that a planet's center of mass is in its center and that the observer is on the planet's surface.

[...or the formula mass = (9.81 m/s^2 / gravitational constant) * (planet radius)^2...]

Someone should check whether my formula for the mass is correct. I simply derived it using Newton's Law of universal gravitation, Force = mass * acceleration, the assumption that a planet's center of mass is in its center and that the observer is on the planet's surface.
The derivation of the formula for mass checks out, at least if using this original equation for reference lol
Can confirm with Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation as well
  • Force of Gravity On Object = (Constant G * Planet Mass * Object Mass) / Planet Radius^2
  • Force of 1 Earth Gravity On Object = 9.81m/s^2 * Object Mass
  • Therefore for Planets with 1 Earth Gravity...
  • 9.81 * Object Mass = (Constant G * Planet Mass * Object Mass) / Planet Radius^2
  • 9.81 * Object Mass * Planet Radius^2 = Constant G * Planet Mass * Object Mass
  • 9.81 * Planet Radius^2 = Constant G * Planet Mass
  • (9.81 * Planet Radius^2) / Constant G = Planet Mass
Your math checks out!

Thank you very much for helping out, DontTalk. Your text looks good to me, but I am not the best person to ask.

@Executor_N0 @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Mr._Bambu @Therefir @DMUA @Damage3245 @DemonGodMitchAubin @Jasonsith @Wokistan @Armorchompy @Migue79 @Psychomaster35 @CloverDragon03 @KLOL506 @Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment @Aguywhodoesthings

Would any of you be willing to help evaluate DontTalk's full suggestion, that I partially quoted above, please?

I will close this thread then. Thank you to everybody who helped out here, especially DontTalk. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back