• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minecraft Addition: Creative Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Let's wait a bit for the others then. Thank you for being reasonable.

Just giving my two cents, but it's kind of moot arguing "canon" in Minecraft, when the only thing that was part of the "canon" was recently discarded.

I suppose I should phrase it like this, rather than combat minor points.

I believe god mode, cheats, in-game hacks and glitches, etc aren't a situation where any objective ruling can be had. The argument will always exist- "but I can do it". Sure, this I do not deny. But the argument itself boils down to whether or not we can interpret this as an honest showing of the character in the game or a consequence of game design (or something similar, I'm not great with words).

In my opinion, no, no cheat/god/debug/what have you mode will be an honest to god actual showing of a character. This simply will not happen because it represents a slippery and, frankly, rather silly slope, one in which I can give the 7 Days to Die protagonist legitimate Existence Erasure because it does, in fact, have commands to do that.

So I do not think I can be convinced of the argument in favor of Creative. I'm afraid I'm going to remain firm on this. I am sorry if you greatly disagree.
Animal Crossing Villager has Time Travel...

Now, I won't pretend to be particularly savvy with Animal Crossing, but like...

Don't the NPCs in Animal Crossing acknowledge things like ******* with saves? I haven't played since the Game Cube but I assume Resetti is still in the game, or however the hell his name is spelled.

In what sense does the book invalidate our loreless gamemode? Spectator mode actually does get chosen without, I believe you can do so after dying in Hardmode. It is a "legitimate means of playing", is it not?

These aren't particularly relevant to the point, I'm just baffled why we're leaving out pieces of the game we don't like when under that argument ("all are valid ways to play"), literally everything should be taken into account.
How do you mean "invalidate"?

You can "spectate" a hardcore world, but that's literally the opposite of a legitimate way of playing. The whole point of spectator mode there is that your game is essentially over, and you can't interact with anything in the world.

This isn't about "liking" certain gamemodes, I've already addressed why I'm adamantly against Adventure and Spectator mode being added to the profiles, and I'm surprised this keeps being brought up on a Creative mode CRT.

Also, Gyro said "Thank you. While it is less direct than other game's guidebooks, it does support Creative Mode as a legitimate way to play.", so I am pretty sure he's on board with the addition.
I'm not on board, I think there's arguments either way so I'm neutral.

How do you mean "invalidate"?

You can "spectate" a hardcore world, but that's literally the opposite of a legitimate way of playing. The whole point of spectator mode there is that your game is essentially over, and you can't interact with anything in the world.

This isn't about "liking" certain gamemodes, I've already addressed why I'm adamantly against Adventure and Spectator mode being added to the profiles, and I'm surprised this keeps being brought up on a Creative mode CRT.
Spectator mode is a gamemode you are able to access without glitches, codes, etc. Dare you imply that one gamemode is more legitimate than the other? Or is it possible, just maybe, that you're saying we can use common sense to determine that one gamemode is most likely the more valid indicator of the character than the other?

That is the entire point. I don't give a **** about liking one gamemode over the other, to imply that was my point is to miss my point entirely. Frankly I prefer Creative Mode, I'm a rather decent builder if I do say so myself. But Creative mode is not a legitimate showing of the character.

Thank you for understanding, now.

Or is it possible, just maybe, that you're saying we can use common sense to determine that one gamemode is most likely the more valid indicator of the character than the other?
God modes separated by game mechanics should not be considered a legitimate showing of a character. The notion is silly.

Bambu has been extremely adamant about this the whole time, I find it unlikely anything is going to change.
If the others don't show up in the next 24 hours, then I'd be fine with finally closing this thread.
There's other threads I'd like to make as well, and I'm not great at multitasking. Plus I want to help with some profile images.

Are... are you assuming I'm unaware that Minecraft is a video game?

God modes separated by game mechanics should not be considered a legitimate showing of a character.
Which character?

No, seriously. All arguments are "this is cheat mode" and "this is not canon". And this comparison to spectator mode, which you can't access without actual cheats (or... you know, until the hardcore game is already over), is absolutely stupid.

The player character.

It isn't. I think I've highlighted the reason for the comparison reasonably well. If you consider Spectator Mode stupid, then you have literally zero reason to consider Creative Mode better. Spectator Mode is accessible without cheats, and is just as existent in the game as Creative Mode. Unless you admit that there is an actual point where one can say "alright, it is unreasonable to say this is a showing of the character, I can discern this via common sense or whatever, we're not including this" (which is my opinion, for the record), then the two are equal.

I agree with Bambu and Morit personally. I would personally be fine with it if there was some justification in the actual game for the abilities granted by creative. All abilities granted by survival make sense in the context of the other aspects of the verse but stuff like Passive Empath hax because mobs suddenly no longer wish to harm you doesn't have any lore/character based reasoning for occurring other then them being game mechanics.

The player character.

It isn't. I think I've highlighted the reason for the comparison reasonably well. If you consider Spectator Mode stupid, then you have literally zero reason to consider Creative Mode better. Spectator Mode is accessible without cheats, and is just as existent in the game as Creative Mode. Unless you admit that there is an actual point where one can say "alright, it is unreasonable to say this is a showing of the character, I can discern this via common sense or whatever, we're not including this" (which is my opinion, for the record), then the two are equal.
Hmm, if only we had some evidence that Spectator Mode is not a mode for actual playing. If only....

The player character? So, you need an in-game "showing" for creative mode? In a game with no canon? Interesting. What would you consider a legitimate showing of a character then?

I think it's funny that Jeb wasn't even sure about Survival Mode when it was added, and now people swear on their life Survival was always the intended way to play.
Except thats not what people are saying, people are saying none of the abilities granted by Creative Mode have any justifications as actual showings of the characters abilities nor any in lore justification (Monsters stop attacking Steve on Creative because of X Y and Z mechanics in the lore would be one) which only really make sense in the context of survival.

Except thats not what people are saying
That is what they were saying.
orangutan_1f9a7.png

Except thats not what people are saying, people are saying none of the abilities granted by Creative Mode have any justifications as actual showings of the characters abilities nor any in lore justification (Monsters stop attacking Steve on Creative because of X Y and Z mechanics in the lore would be one) which only really make sense in the context of survival.
That is what many were saying. There is no lore.
I don't understand how Creative Mode abilities aren't showings, but Survival Mode abilities are. This seems like blatant cherry-picking when both modes are equally full of game mechanics.

What justifications? What lore? People are under the assumption that Survival is the only "canonical" mode. Except there is no canon. -_-

That is what many were saying. There is no lore.
I don't understand how Creative Mode abilities aren't showings, but Survival Mode abilities are. This seems like blatant cherry-picking when both modes are equally full of game mechanics.
I dont really care enough to argue this but creative is clearly for the purposes of removing impeding factors of survival to make building easier (I understand creative came first) and survival mode is actual showings of the character in the context of abilities with the express purpose of fighting mobs within the world in a context where you can die/fight things properly.

A mode where you are invulnerable and fly/mobs dont attack you makes no sense as actual showings of the characters abilities and are clearly intended to be settings placed onto the world itself to make building without interruption by mobs/with access to every block without needing to farm them.

survival mode is actual showings of the character in the context of abilities with the express purpose of fighting mobs
Implying the purpose of the character is fighting mobs, which it really never was. That's more of a third-wheel in a game titled after the two actual most important aspects: mining and crafting. Debate can be had if building is part of crafting I guess.

Implying the purpose of the character is fighting mobs, which it really never was. That's more of a third-wheel in a game titled after the two actual most important aspects: mining and crafting. Debate can be had if building is part of crafting I guess.
I'm not talking about the purpose of the game, I'm talking about the purpose of the wiki of indexing characters for the purpose of them fighting. I fundamentally disagree with the concept of a creative mode profile itself, not what the purpose of the game modes actually are.

Im not debating there isn't a version of Steve that can fly etc in creative mode I'm saying there is no purpose to indexing a creative mode version of Steve for the purposes of him fighting other characters (however please disregard this as I am somewhat derailing and turning the argument into more of a meta discussion)

Hmm, if only we had some evidence that Spectator Mode is not a mode for actual playing. If only....

The player character? So, you need an in-game "showing" for creative mode? In a game with no canon? Interesting. What would you consider a legitimate showing of a character then?
None. I would not consider godmode legitimate. I've stated this multiple times.

Yeah, we also have a Word of God. And we don't disregard it just because some people think they know better.

Yeah, we also have a Word of God. And we don't disregard it just because some people think they know better.
Actually we regularly disregard Word of God. Dunno how you came to the conclusion that we don't.

Actually we regularly disregard Word of God. Dunno how you came to the conclusion that we don't.
We don't always though. That's how the End Poem got rejected in the first place.

I am absolutely clear on how the End Poem was rejected. I was there, Gandalf.

With that said, even disregarding the fact that we do, in fact, most often disregard Word of God (in fact, that is precisely the "Death of the Author" thing I posted above), this isn't even like a legitimate Word of God statement lol. This is a game dev considering what would be more fun to play.

With that said, even disregarding the fact that we do, in fact, most often disregard Word of God (in fact, that is precisely the "Death of the Author" thing I posted above), this isn't even like a legitimate Word of God statement lol. This is a game dev considering what would be more fun to play.
Sorry, I don't remember it at this point.
I recall posting an interview, blacking out, and then waking up to it on the Discussion Rules page with Low 2-C Minecraft nuked.

Joking, but I do agree with you on that last part. That's why I never used it as evidence, I just thought it was funny.

Last edited:

We all were.

Bambu, how can you put you own personal interpretation (Creative = godmode = cheat) over an actual officially published book?

And we disregard Word of God if it "heavily contradicts, rather than complements, reliable in-story statements or feats", not our case at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back