• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MHA Pro Hero Profile Names

LordTracer

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
The profiles for My Hero Academia’s Pro Heroes are currently named after their real names and not their hero names, for the purpose of being consistent with the student profiles. But here’s the problem with that:

The students rarely ever use their hero names. The Pro Heroes almost always use their hero names. Aside from maybe Aizawa, I don’t think there’s a single example of a Pro using their actual name more often than their hero name. Some of their actual names (for example Best Jeanist, Kamui Woods, Edgeshot, Gang Orca and more) haven’t even been stated in the manga outside of author’s notes. The verse page even refers to the pros by their hero names and not their real names.

On top of that, a new user would be much more likely to search ‘All Might’ as opposed to ‘Toshinori Yagi,’ or ‘Mount Lady’ as opposed to ‘Yu Takeyama,’ or ‘Fat Gum’ as opposed to ‘Taishiro Toyomitsu’ (which I had to look up because I didn’t even know what his real name was).

And it’s not even that consistent to have several of the pros use their real names, because other pro hero profiles, as well as vigilantes and several of the villain profiles don’t use their actual names.

So, my proposal here is simple. Change the names of all of the Pro Hero profiles (with the exception of maybe Aizawa) back to their hero names, which would be more in line with how they’re referred to in the series. The same should be done for the few villain profiles that were also changed (Overhaul, Magne and Stain).

On top of that, a new user would be much more likely to search ‘All Might’ as opposed to ‘Toshinori Yagi,’ or ‘Mount Lady’ as opposed to ‘Yu Takeyama,’ or ‘Fat Gum’ as opposed to ‘Taishiro Toyomitsu’ (which I had to look up because I didn’t even know what his real name was).

Redirects exist for all of the pages which would take the user to the profile if they searched for them by their hero name.

And it’s not even that consistent to have several of the pros use their real names, because other pro hero profiles, as well as vigilantes and several of the villain profiles don’t use their actual names.

This is an issue that could be fixed by just updating those profiles.

Izuku is referred to as "Deku" more times than he is by his actual name in most of the manga. But just because that is what he is more commonly called, I wouldn't support changing his page name to be "Deku".

Being consistent with the student profiles isn't the sole reason why the heroes were updated. It's because it is also more accurate to refer to them by their actual name than by their hero code name. And it looks better in some cases too to avoid having the name of the verse after them.

I think "Nemuri Kayama" looks a lot better than "Midnight (My Hero Academia)".

We could just add their hero names to the search so it redirects them to the page.

Being consistent with the student profiles isn't the sole reason why the heroes were updated. It's because it is also more accurate to refer to them by their actual name than by their hero code name. And it looks better in some cases too to avoid having the name of the verse after them.
How is it more accurate when the actual manga refers to them by their hero name more than their actual name?
This is a simple solution, just format all the profiles like this...

"Endeavor (Enji Todoroki)"

Have their Hero names as the main name, then have their real name in parenthesis, that's what I do for my profiles
This could actually work, I like this idea.

We've done that already.
Actually, no we haven't. There are still heros that don't redirect when you type in their Hero names, but more than that, I believe I prefer Mitch's solution the most. The Hero Names is what most of these heros are known by and what's going to be looked up more often then not when searching for their profiles. So just use the Hero names for convenience of users

Using real name shouldn't take priority or we'd call Goku Kakarot. Son Goku is used more and people know him as Goku, so we call him Son Goku.

I don't think "looking" better should be a reason, the name we use should be the names people associate with them for the sake of user convenience. A good number of these characters don't even have their real names in the manga, but are revealed in guidebooks.

I like Mitch's solution as well.

Actually, no we haven't. There are still heros that don't redirect when you type in their Hero names, but more than that, I believe I prefer Mitch's solution the most. The Hero Names is what most of these heros are known by and what's going to be looked up more often then not when searching for their profiles. So just use the Hero names for convenience of users
Which ones? I thought I made sure to leave a redirect behind for every hero?

If we include both names as a compromise, I still think it should be listed as their real name first and then their hero name in brackets.

And we could even update the student's pages to match this so we have consistent naming scheme across the profiles of the verse.

Is this okay?

A good number of these characters don't even have their real names in the manga, but are revealed in guidebooks.
This. Like, aside from All Might, Aizawa, Gran Torino, Hawks and Endeavor, have any other Pro Heroes had their actual names stated in the manga?

If we include both names as a compromise, I still think it should be listed as their real name first and then their hero name in brackets.

And we could even update the student's pages to match this so we have consistent naming scheme across the profiles of the verse.

Is this okay?
The students almost never use their hero names though, aside from Deku and technically Shoto.

But if you were to do that, the name they’re referred to the most should be first. For example, All Might would be ‘All Might (Toshinori Yagi)’ but Ochako would be ‘Ochako Uraraka (Uravity)’

The students almost never use their hero names though, aside from Deku and technically Shoto.

But if you were to do that, the name they’re referred to the most should be first. For example, All Might would be ‘All Might (Toshinori Yagi)’ but Ochako would be ‘Ochako Uraraka (Uravity)’
That kind of inconsistency looks really bad to me.

What's wrong with keeping it as their real names first, and their code names in brackets? It's not like new users are idiots.

That kind of inconsistency looks really bad to me.

What's wrong with keeping it as their real names first, and their code names in brackets? It's not like new users are idiots.
Because their real names are almost never stated, unless they’re a student.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t name the profiles after the name they’re most frequently called.

Just put both names with the codename in brackets, but redirect if either is typed in the search bar. I don't see the issue with that.
Okay but why would the codename that they’re always referred to be in brackets, as opposed to the actual name that is never stated once in the manga?

Mitch's suggestion should be fine, I don't care what's in brackets or first. (I'd prefer the name their usually referred to as to be first but I won't argue about it)

But using just their real names, which almost no one calls them by, is rather odd. Like I said by that logic we'd call Goku's page Kakarot.

Mitch's suggestion should be fine, I don't care what's in brackets or first. (I'd prefer the name their usually referred to as to be first but I won't argue about it)

But using just their real names, which almost no one calls them by, is rather odd. Like I said by that logic we'd call Goku's page Kakarot.
While I get your point, Goku is his actual current name and not a codename. Kakarot is just his birth name.

I think that either creating redirects from the real names to the hero names (meaning using All Might as the main page title, for example) or Mitch's solution seem best. However, I am very overworked, so I have to unsubscribe from this thread after this.

Other examples exist where we do this as well.

There's no reason to put Tsunagu Hakamata, without Best Jeanist when his real name has never been stated at all. Same with so many other characters, Aizawa being call by his real name is fine, but why is Fat Gum called Taishiro Toyomitsu instead of the name everyone calls him by?

I say use the name they're most commonly referred to, and only that name. With a redirect for any other name.

Like we do for literally any other character with aliases. (Think marvel and DC or any other superheroes)

Aizawa and Overhaul could be the only exceptions here, because they are actually referred to by their real names most of the time.

It's really just a matter of preference, but whether we format it like this "Endeavor (Enii Todoroki)" or like this "Enji Todoroki (Endeavor)", we need to be consistent with all the profiles, so we need to pick whether the real or hero name goes first and which one goes in parenthesis

Personally I agree with Damage with putting real names first and hero names in parenthesis and we apply that to every profile

Personally I agree with Damage with putting real names first and hero names in parenthesis and we apply that to every profile

Thanks.

If this is acceptable, I can apply the renaming to all of the Pro Hero, Student and Villain pages.

Well, why just stop at my hero profiles then?

Why not change all superhero profiles to fit that naming format?

For now, let's focus on MHA since it is the purpose of the thread.

I'm totally okay with renaming the students to have their codenames after their real names in brackets, and updating the hero pages to match that. Even if they're less used, the student's codenames is every part of their superhero identity as it is for the Pros.

For now, let's focus on MHA since it is the purpose of the thread.

I'm totally okay with renaming the students to have their codenames after their real names in brackets, and updating the hero pages to match that. Even if they're less used, the student's codenames is every part of their superhero identity as it is for the Pros.
I agree that it is important for the students, but it’s much less important than the Pro Heroes, who are almost always called their hero name.

I should have enough spare time this afternoon to through all the profiles and rename them.

Is it okay if I do it today?

Hopefully I didn’t miss anyone, but here’s a tally on how the formatting should look.

In favor of Hero Name (Actual Name): 7
  • LordTracer
  • Jackof_noTrades068
  • Cropfist
  • YungManzi
  • TheRustyOne
  • Antvasima
  • Duedate8898

In favor of Actual Name (Hero Name): 4
  • Damage3245
  • DemonGodMitchAubin
  • Ionliosite