• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MFTL+ Gasterblasters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, while looking through a vs thread and seeing Sans and his speed advantage that got me thinking, how fast is the gaster blaster, and well, the closest comparison to the gaster blaster is well, a laser, not just a regular laser, a high quality near government like laser, since the term Gaster blaster is assumed he worked with W.D Gaster who was the Royal scientist before Alphys, meaning he'd have access to high level technology and it brings me to my next point, real world comparisons. In 2000 of the real world, a laser created by the U.S government broke the speed of light record going 300 times the original speed of light which would place it's calc on par with MFTL+ speed levels and if the gaster blasters were created by Sans, or W.D Gaster, would mean they are highly advanced pieces of technology which could be comparable to our real world laser, I mean, hey, first time doing something like a calc

"In 2000 of the real world, a laser created by the U.S government broke the speed of light record going 300 times the original speed of light"

Whoa, whoa, whoa there. Cite that? I've never heard of such a thing, that sounds like it would be something people learn and talk about.

O_O...

Wow.

Well, you learn something new every day I guess. Not really sure how that specifically would affect Sans but I guess...?

Well since the government funded said scientific lab experiment, I have the feeling that the same connection could be had between the royal scientist and the kingdom of Undertale, just a complete hypothetical.

So a group of scientists apparently made a laser that went as fast as 310 times the SoL. Hmm, that's interesting and cool to know. *Nods*

I never thought I'd see the day light would be massively faster than light.

Anyway, I'm not sure we should uprgade Sans' attack speed to MFTL+ via Gasterblasters because of these reasons:

1. We're not sure if the Gasterblasters are made by Gaster himself of just named after him, for all we know Sans could have made them.

2. We're not sure if the Gasterblasters are actual tools created by Sans or Gaster or are just constructs created by Sans like Undyne's Spears.

3. Comparing the Gasterblasters' speed to a real life laser like this one wouldn't really work considering we don't know how fast the GBs are. They could be even faster or slower than the laser here.

We don't know much about the Gasterblasters and how they relate to Gaster so maybe we should hold up on the upgrade before doing anything hasty, just my two cents on this.

MarvelFanatic119 said:
I never thought I'd see the day light would be massively faster than light.
That's my joke! D:<

Anyway, on a serious note, not sure about slapping the MFTL+ label on it. It's definitely a lot faster than everyone else in the game who isn't immeasurable, but we don't know the exact extent. Still, appearing like an instant blast to rel+ characters is an achievement, and might as well be somewhere in the MFTL - MFTL+ range.

WHAT THE HECK!!!

MY TEACHERS ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT NOTHING CAN EVER SURPASS THE SPEED OF LIGHT!!!

SCHOOL IS A LIE!!! XDDD

Anyway, since the Gaster Blasters are named after the Royal Scientist himself, Doctor W. D Gaster, Im pretty sure that he created the weapons itself. Because when someone created or discover something, they always name that thing after themselves, its always like that. All my teachers always tell me this. Since the Royal Scientist, W. D Gaster knowledge is on par with Alphys, and also he was funded by Asgore's wealth, its no suprise if he created a technology that is on par, if not, surpass our laser technology today.

I strongly disagree. Most lasers in fiction don't even move at lightspeeds. Comparing it to a real life MFTL laser without a shred of proof is, in my opinion, highly fallacious.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Still, appearing like an instant blast to rel+ characters is an achievement, and might as well be somewhere in the MFTL - MFTL+ range.
Or it could be FTL. Or FTL+.

You don't need to jump 3 speed ratings to be faster than what someone can perceive, you can achieve the same feat and still have the same statistic. In fact, appearing as an instant blast tells me they still managed to perceive it.

TheMightyRegulator said:
Or it could be FTL. Or FTL+.
You don't need to jump 3 speed ratings to be faster than what someone can perceive, you can achieve the same feat and still have the same statistic. In fact, appearing as an instant blast tells me they still managed to perceive it.
FTL+, yes. I can definitely see that.

FTL, almost certainly not. Even something ten times faster than you shouldn't be completely impossible to react to or able to instantly touch you from a good distance, away. I'm also not sure how being instant means they manage to perceieve it, especially since there's literally nothing that can be done should it fire and Frisk is in front of it, regardless of distance from the muzzle or how close to the edge, they are.

The rule is that things with mass cannot exceed the speed of light so quantized bits of information like photons are somewhat exempt.

In truth, you couldn't apply a laser to this because the experiment showed that the 310x FTL wavelength was merely a propagation along the original combined beams. That is, they synced two beams of light together and observed that reading along the synced portion. So it doesn't propagate itself at that speed ergo it isn't an independent laser.

Quantifying speed from being invisible for a superhuman character in any way is generally not accepted. Calcing standards and everything.

That aside you guys should leave your hands from scientific articles we don't understand. From reading through a few more detailed articles on the topic group velocity is in the specific mediums used in the experiment does not equal signal velocity (something that btw. seemingly was already discussed 1910). In other words no information can be transmitted through it, which for one thing means that causality is safed, but also that such a laser will specifically do nothing to the target before the front of the pulse reaches it and the front ravels at Ôëñ c.

So physics is safed in such lasers have no advantage in battle.

DontTalk said:
So physics is safed in such lasers have no advantage in battle.
In other words, information is completely absent from the "MFTL" part of the laser, meaning it cannot really do any actual harm (were this the type of laser being discussed in a fictional setting in which it was used in combat, and so on), correct?

Basically that. If it could do harm after crossing something with that speed information would have been tansmitted, which is bad for causality.

It can also not be shot through air or vacuum btw. It has to be a very specific medium.

Firstly I'd want to make sure if the Faster-Than-Light laser is a legit thing.

It's an article from 2000 and we are in 2016 and nothing else surpasses the speed of light.

Wait, what?

Did we... did we just broke another law of physics?

lol

Maybe in the future we will have some Hoi-Poi capsules as well.

Buuuuuuuut... sorry to be a party pooper, but we cannot upgrade the skeleton just because of that, as there is no relationship between the gasterblasters and the MFTL+ laser.

@Matt

Yeah, DT and Alakabamm covered it up above. Essentially, information is not carried through the "MFTL" part of the laser, which means if someone did have something like this in combat, it wouldn't actually do anything meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back