• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metal Gear Solid: Possible Striking Strength Upgrade

in the second cutscene of the Shagohod boss fight, Volgi gets out of said tank's cockpit, and proceeds to put his fist right through its armor. The Shagohod possesses City Block level durability for being able to withstand Snake's heavy weaponry, and Volgin manages to punch right through it with a single hit. And in the subsequent second half of the boss fight, Volgin himself displays the ability to take hits from Snake's RPG and keep going. If considered legit, this would upgrade Volgin to 8-B, as well as Big Boss, for being able to harm Volgin in CQC, and all those who scale to him, such as his clones, as well as the likes of Revolver Ocelot and The Boss.

Also, 4 Gekkos were able to restrain Raide, who is ~36 tons, making a single Gekkp something to the tune of ~9 tons, which is High 8-C, and Old Snake is capable of knocking them over by rolling into them

Indeed, the Shagohod withstood Big Boss's RPG-7, which utilized the 40 mm (1.57 in) Caliber Single-stage HEAT warheads; however, Volgi only seem to bear resistance (making it Building level+ due to the RPG feat ), whereas the Shagohod exhibits outright immunity (City Block level). Logically, characters capable of physically achieving a certain degree of energy output, must be able to at least withstand a comparable amount of damage, or their bodies would break apart from the strain and automatic counterforce, whenever they exert themselves. Nonetheless, if Volgin displays a Striking Strength that's approximately City Block level, then his durability should be roughly similar. The first law of thermodynamics simply states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, which is the conservation of energy. Thus, power generation processes and energy sources involve the conversion of energy from one form to another, rather than the creation of energy from nothing. Striking Strength doesn't automatically scale from Attack Potency unless there are Feats to support it.

Evidently, Snake affected Volgin's Stamina instead of dealing physical trauma. The Energy Conversion in Humans is the energy consumed by humans that is converted to work, thermal energy, and stored fat. By far the largest fraction goes to thermal energy, although the fraction varies depending on the type of physical activity.

I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Are you in favor of Volgin being CBL or think he should remain BL? Also, affecting stamina instead of health could be considered valid, since he's still managing to physically throw Volgin to the ground and make him grunt in pain several times. And in the end cutscene of the fight, Volgin demands for Ocelot to step in, sort of implying he's getting bodied pretty hard, since he's a ****** and enjoys getting to inflict pain.

I'm not in favor of Volgin being CBL, as his durability should match his Striking strength due to the first law of thermodynamics. He seemingly can't increase his Striking Strength if his body can't handle it (For example: RPG blast being CBL. Shagohod itself is impervious, while Volgin takes damage). Striking strength differs from Attack potency and you can recall that Volgin was powered by the voltage to boost his attack.

"Also, affecting stamina instead of health could be considered valid, since he's still managing to physically throw Volgin to the ground and make him grunt in pain several times."

Or Lifting Strength, definitely not Striking. You have to ask yourself why it evidently affected Volgin's Stamina bar, instead of his Health. You can't utilize anecdotal evidence to depict a certain narrative.

SolidEye234 said:
I'm not in favor of Volgin being CBL, as his durability should match his Striking strength due to the first law of thermodynamics. He seemingly can't increase his Striking Strength if his body can't handle it (For example: RPG blast being CBL. Shagohod itself is impervious, while Volgin takes damage). Striking strength differs from Attack potency and you can recall that Volgin was powered by the voltage to boost his attack.

"Also, affecting stamina instead of health could be considered valid, since he's still managing to physically throw Volgin to the ground and make him grunt in pain several times."

Or Lifting Strength, definitely not Striking. You have to ask yourself why it evidently affected Volgin's Stamina bar, instead of his Health. You can't utilize anecdotal evidence to depict a certain narrative.
1) I know Striking Strength =/= Attack Potency. I also don't see the point where Volgin gets boosted, and regardless his profile on here makes no mention of him being able to boost his striking strength with electricity.

2) It's winding him, and he's obviously feeling the hits

3) Striking Strength and Lifting Strength aren't mutually exclusive (that's why Big Boss is 8-C to begin with), and why exactly are you bringing it up? He isn't throwing some incredibly heavy weight, since Volgin is a 6'7 human.

SheevShezarrine said:
SolidEye234 said:

1) I know Striking Strength =/= Attack Potency. I also don't see the point where Volgin gets boosted, and regardless his profile on here makes no mention of him being able to boost his striking strength with electricity.
2) It's winding him, and he's obviously feeling the hits

3) Striking Strength and Lifting Strength aren't mutually exclusive (that's why Big Boss is 8-C to begin with), and why exactly are you bringing it up? He isn't throwing some incredibly heavy weight, since Volgin is a 6'7 human.
1) Evidently, you've neglected the First Law of Thermodynamics, whereas energy can neither be created nor destroyed, which is the conservation of energy. Attack Potency wasn't the only point I've demonstrated. Undeniably, he seemingly can't increase his Striking Strength if his body can't handle it (For example: RPG blast being CBL. Shagohod itself is impervious, while Volgin takes damage ). Nonetheless, under no condition was I ever involved in the establishment or modification of his profile.

2) Conversely, you're eluding the concept of a Stamina Bar, which was impartially displayed in the link you've sent me and the video's own title. Please don't be the archetype of both confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.

3) CQC (Close Quarter Combat) is a system that incorporated various grabs, chokeholds, strikes and throws to disarm and disable opponents. One powerful CQC slam could knock even the strongest opponent unconscious . CQC closely resembled other martial arts such as judo or jujitsu. Substantially, making both Snake and Volgin 8-C, whereas Volgin is Low 7-C with the Davy Crockett Launcher and 8-B with The Shagohod ; Snake being 8-B with weapons .

"Evidently, Snake affected Volgin's Stamina instead of dealing physical trauma. The Energy Conversion in Humans is the energy consumed by humans that is converted to work, thermal energy, and stored fat. By far the largest fraction goes to thermal energy, although the fraction varies depending on the type of physical activity."

1) Being unable to amp his striking strength past his dura is more related to Newton's 3rd Law than the law of conservation of energy.

2) Drop the insults

3) Uneccessary vivdness, Davy Crocket has 0 to do with this, and a description of CQC is needless. In addition, Lifting Strength still has zilch to do with it outside of its already implicit and unremarkable involvment, so it was still needless to bring up

4) Misleading vividness again. Just about everyone grasps the concept of stamina

SheevShezarrine said:
1) Being unable to amp his striking strength past his dura is more related to Newton's 3rd Law than the law of conservation of energy.
2) Drop the insults

3) Uneccessary vivdness, Davy Crocket has 0 to do with this, and a description of CQC is needless. In addition, Lifting Strength still has zilch to do with it outside of its already implicit and unremarkable involvment, so it was still needless to bring up

4) Misleading vividness again. Just about everyone grasps the concept of stamina
If you're self-assured on creating multiple assertions without displaying any decisive evidence or a basis to support said premise then I'm happy to conclude this discussion.

I didn't came here to drop an Ad hominem, but to criticize and simply give you feedback on the Thread you've created. Yet, you simply cannot grasp the concept of criticism and only rely on things that are anecdotal, instead of empirical-based evidence.

Congrats, it's actually both Newton's 3rd law and the law of conservation of energy. Volgin can't increase his striking potential, whereas he's still capable of being damaged by Snake's RPG. Regardless, if Snake alone is capable of harming Volgin it would only be around 8-C, instead of the desired 8-B.

> self-assured (insult)

> congrats (derision)

> you simply cannot grasp criticism (roundabout insult, essentially calling me stupid and/or frail-egoed)

Remind me again what I said?

Also, insults aren't always the same as ad hom

If you're willing, we can go back to square one, I'll drop the stamina thing since you clearly are tired of arguing it, and revise my stance using more objective evidence. But if you intend to conclude the discussion, so be it

> It's winding him, and he's obviously feeling the hits (Style Over Substance)

> Relationship between Volgin and The Shagohod with durability (False Equivalence)

> Volgin's Stamina and Health Bar (Confirmation Bias)

Do you know the reason why I'm frustrated?

Please revise your original thread and share this to the other users. My original intention wasn't to insult you, which I'll only recommence if others join in.

Back