• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metafiction in video games: deciding what is timeline and what are game mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have Doki Doki , Bravely Default and Undertale use very similar arguments to decide what is a timeline.

In short, we decided for all of these verses that saves = timelines.

Generally speaking, I am for this idea.

BUT

We should make a rule about this whole idea in general and I am asking in particular what is game mechanics and what is a legit timeline?

This mostly applies to metafiction in game. This can be moved into staff discussion board or whatever, but this is an issue I think imo and I wanted to clear this up.

Edit: This could apply to more games, I am unsure about the ones, but I listed the ones I know best.

I don't think we can just arbitrarily make a rule for this.

No two games operate off the same logic, even heavily meta works like Bravely Default, Undertale, and Doki Doki Literature Club.

Reppuzan said:
I don't think we can just arbitrarily make a rule for this.
No two games operate off the same logic, even heavily meta works like Bravely Default, Undertale, and Doki Doki Literature Club.
I am more interested in the question to be fair, although a rule would be nice.

I guess my question without the B.S is what in a game that decides a Low 2.C feat involving saves?

I know BD, not so much about undertale, definitely not for imscared or doki doki literature club.

So clarification about the latter two would be nice (although i am tired so I will come back to this...later)

I think the "saves are Timelines" thing should be analyzed on a case-by-case basis, since they can be interpreted as anything from "checkpoints" that allow you to rewind time to a certain degree to alternate versions of real events that took place in the "main" world (a.k.a Timelines), which seems to normally be the case when coming to meta games with multiple save slots

I agree with Reppuzan and Ultima Reality. This has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back