• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Damascus Steel

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Currently Damascus Steel on the wiki only has one value: a Fragmentation value of 813.5 MPa (J/cc). Thing is, the value doesn't seem sourced. Based on sources, values for tensile strength range from 1068 to 1300 MPa. This, using the 0.75x tensile strength rule-of-thumb for steel, puts shear strength at 801 to 975 MPa.

Compressive strength, which we use for pulverization? 3000 MPa. So basically it's more like this:

Fragmentation: 801 J/cc
V. Frag: 975 J/cc
Pulverization: 3000 J/cc

Try looking around a bit more; you'll never know what you find on the Internet.

Normally I don't necro, but the Calc Group really likes to turn a blind eye towards new info for some reason.

That higher end seems to imply it's done via laser-printing said steel, resulting in higher physical endurance and hardness. I wouldn't, therefore, offer it as an end for any given instance of Damascus Steel. The highest figure I've found that doesn't mention laser-printing is 1145 MPa, and is even from a .gov site- that brings our upper end value to 858.75 MPa shear strength. This paper also gives statements on compression strength for said steel up to 4500 MPa.

Normally I don't necro, but the Calc Group really likes to turn a blind eye towards new info for some reason.
Me (omniscient) ignoring threads (I didn't know they existed and your ass didn't call anybody here despite the ability to ping) for fun (can't fathom a reason)

Try looking around a bit more; you'll never know what you find on the Internet.
why are you like this, man. c'mon.

I don't remember Damascus steel even being that special under the scrutiny of our more modern stuff so you'd have to give me more finding on the internet time to review the videos were I was tipped off on that

I don't remember Damascus steel even being that special under the scrutiny of our more modern stuff so you'd have to give me more finding on the internet time to review the videos were I was tipped off on that
from my own Finding On The Internet time in the past bit, it seems like metallurgists do agree it is somewhat exceptional compared to mass-produced steel, but not like incomparable. That said, I suppose one could always invest more Finding On The Internet time to find more things on the internet about it. Though, I'd like to ask, is this used for anything? I don't even remember when it was added to the table (probably some calc was approved with the value and someone asked to add it), but it feels strange to put such a niche value up here regardless. One feels as though it tempts the average user to then say "well of course, I will simply use Damascus Steel values for every calc where Steel fits".

Months of built-up resentment. It's a long story.
Contain it when you're tackling official matters. Shit's unbecoming and only serves to further resentment on either side. If you want to have a ******** contest with someone, I advise you do it privately and get it over with.

This isn't even a necro (at least I think so, pretty sure the time for a necro is like 3 months), but this holier than thou attitude is completely unnecessary. Way to make someone less interested in your thread...

I mean, the values themselves seem well-sourced so they're probably fine? But I've got similar concerns to Bambu atm, so I'll hold off on giving a definitive vote for now

Putting that second message aside, what is left to do here? Bambu and Clover seem to have rejected this and the former's point makes sense

Adjusting the values is not entirely without merit, but the values described in the OP seem to conflict with others to a point. With such wide variables on these values, though, perhaps it would be better to use lower-bounds of 'em to remain conservative in our estimates.

Back