• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel character speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadicalMrR

VS Battles
Retired
So should Hulk,Sentry and anyone around this range in Marvel scale to Thor's FTL+ combat speed rather than Spiderman's?

Also Should the Hulk have MFTL travel speed since he can jump from planet to planet though this might just be a misconception I had?

Though Hulk, Sentry, and whoever are scaled via the databook, i actually feel that the FTL+ is more preferable if anything.

Then again, i suppose this may also be because that Spiderman has shown able to at least keep up with HulK which would make him FTL+? IDEK what i'm saying on that....

Hulk can keep up with them as 4-B so i'm guessing we wasn't sufficiently enraged when fighting spidy.

@Radical: That can make sense. Sufficiently enraged FTL+ Hulk (capable of keeping up with Thor and Silver Surfer)? Also i recall seeing a scan of Hulk tagging Quicksilver one time which iirc we have him as high as FTL+ here too like Thor having his FTL+ scale.

Not sure if that last part helps to this, tho. Just randomly throwing it out here.

Hmm. Now that i think about it, wouldn't this also apply to characters like Odin and Zeus of Marvel to have this as well? I know that Zeus curbstomped Hulk. That's a fact. Not sure if he did anything speed-wise there when that happened.

It was probably due to having higher AP at the time since the only time Hulk to my knowledge has been able to keep with these guys was in WWH.

Oh okay nevermind then.

But still it seems strange to have like say, Hulk and Sentry, FTL+ from Thor yet not have it for the more stronger Marvel gods like Mikaboshi, Odin, and Zeus. Well you did say "anyone else" so...yeah.

I mean FTL+ is slow for them in Tier 3 but at least it's better than having them at MHS+(?) speeds...

CrossverseCrisis said:
I mean FTL+ is slow for them in Tier 3 but at least it's better than having them at MHS+(?) speeds...
Pretty much my thoughts when I saw MHS+ Hulk,Sentry,Odin,etc.

I know it's a result of Marvel being inconsistent forcing us to use the handbooks,which are unreliable at best.

^Indeed, man. But that's literally what we have to scale them by at the very least else we may, at worst, have to put them at unknown. Which is very bad as all heck....

Well if the Marvel handbooks are saying hulk and thor are MHS then cant we take the FTL feats of Thor as outliners. There are plenty of occasions when thor has been speed-blitzed by street level characters. Also unlike DC Marvel makes a clear distinction between combat speed and travel speed.

-BANLK- said:
Well if the Marvel handbooks are saying hulk and thor are MHS then cant we take the FTL feats of Thor as outliners. There are plenty of occasions when thor has been speed-blitzed by street level characters. Also unlike DC Marvel makes a clear distinction between combat speed and travel speed. It's up to the staff and antvasima to decide on this one but I support the FTL proposition, and I hope my comment can help to further elevate it.
But it's not like their FTL feats are inconsistent, hulk has been able to rest or attack Thor,silver surfer, Hyperion, sentry and other incredibly fast beings. Take for example in the world war hulk issue #4 I believe he was able to punch sentry while sentry was going super fast flying towards him. You also have to remember that in the comics Thor has explained and stated he alswys holds back on earth and mortals. This has been repeated multiple times. Same with the hulk, hulk has always held back on almost literally everyone, one issue even had Amadeus cho state that hulk mathematically in his head controls where his attacks go and hit to make sure no civilian around him is hurt. When the hulk finally being dead serious on fighting the FF he broke the things arms, the point is the comics give simple by reasonable reasons why sometimes lower level beings can fight them on occasions, theirs also the fact marvel likes to be inconsistent and PIS with its character fights.

Marvel characters are almost impossible to scale. They are generally displayed at far lower speed levels than we currently rate them at, yet we go by a few higher feats, that are likely outliers in the most cases.

The problem is that Thor is only rated at "Superhuman" speed in the handbooks, along with an awful lot of other characters. Even rating them as Massively Hypersonic by scaling from a very unusual feat from Spider-Man is debatable, but rating them all as FTL+ seems extremely outlandish.

For more information you can check out this page.

Basically, with the second speed ratings for Thor and The Silver Surfer, we admit that the handbooks may have placed them in the wrong speed tier.

The Sentry may very well be comparable to both of them though.

I think it's better to scale Thor with character who can perform MFTL+ feats casually,Sentry,Odin,Mikaboshi,etc, where as other like Rhino,Green goblin and such should scale to Spidy as they haven't shown to be able to ever even get close to these levels of speed on their own.

Well, the problem is that Spider-Man is consistently shown as able to avoid most attacks from the Hulk during confrontations, who in turn is consistently shown as comparable in speed to Thor and the Sentry.

Marvel does not make any sense whatsoever, and I am constantly scratching my head wondering what we should do with the statistics, as they turn out badly, no matter which approach that we take.

I agree Ant however due to nature of the line "The madder Hulk gets the Hulk Stronger is" arthur's make the Hulk as strong as they want him to be and even then Spider Man already has Relativistic reaction speed.

I understand if wish to keep the speed as it though.

Why don't you make the speed MHS, possibly FTL for all the characters scaled to Thor.

Well, I suppose that might work.

Although, officially, according to Tom Brevoort, Thor is currently considered as slower than Wolverine... despite that the handbook says that he is not.

Still, I suppose that it might be an idea to scale Beta Ray Bill, Hercules, Hulk, Sentry, Odin, and Zeus to Thor, and the Heralds of Galactus, and some Elders of the Universe to the Silver Surfer. Have I forgotten any?

Just remember, that officially these characters are not supposed to be very swift at all. Barely superhuman in fact.

Antvasima said:
Although, officially, according to Tom Brevoort, Thor is currently considered as slower than Wolverine... despite that the handbook says that he is not.
"Sigh" Why do you this Marvel...

Yes. But we need a more complete list.

I'd think we should scale cosmics, higher beings to Thor in FTL+ speed, including Odin, Sentry, BRB, Thanos, Bor, Chaos King, Hyperion, Surtur, Champ of the verse, Those who park their asses in the shadows, Galactus (though it won't be noticable since Galactus is huge)...

Scaling to Surfer's FTL maybe lower cosmics, Planet level and beyond threats and space-guys like: Gladiator (when sufficiently confident), Herc, Loki, Destroyer, Hulk (when sufficiently enraged), Nova, the other heralds, Mangog

Maybe we can have something like: Handbook scaling speed, Potentially maybe logical powerscaling speed

Anyways, yeah. That's my opinion of how to make sense with it. And I for one ignore Brevoort entirely since his answers are weird and often not answer the question entirely if at all, but that's just me.

Well, an alternative future version of Gladiator has a very MFTL+ speed feat, and our power-scaling from Thor and the Surfer should probably go by which characters that are able to consistently keep up with them, but I suppose that "Handbook Scaling speed" and "Power-scaling speed" might work.

As for Brevoort, I don't like him as a person anymore (see the history in my Tumblr blog to see why), but he is still the person who actually gets to decide which characters that are officially stronger or weaker in comparison to the rest, so we have no choice but to listen to him to a degree.

I don't like Brevoort one bit, but he's official so I just get the barest idea from him, but I take what he says with a sack of salt. There should've been other people before him that judge that stuff right?

Well, if we go by listening to him, then all Asgardians get MHS+/FTL+ scaling from Thor since when I asked him once about how fast Thor's reflexes are, he answered to me that "He's about as fast as an average Asgardian." Well, that or Thor scales down to an average Asgardian in speed.

On that note, are we really scaling them from Spidey's actual reflexes, or Spider sense reactions?

Anyways, shouldn't we have an Alter future Glad tab in his profile? Or is that version one with too many unknowns?

Brevoort is the one who has been Marvel's go-to continuity expert for over two decades. Before him, it was the late Mark Gruenwald.

Thor and the Asgardians actually are of comparable speed according to the handbooks, and most of Thor's fights with them.

We are scaling them from one of Spider-Man's highest combat speed feats.

Alternative future Gladiator was at least thousands of years older, and only appeared briefly in one story (the same one in which Galactus almost started to consume the entire timeline).

Iirc, correct me if I'm wrong, but most of Thor's biggest speed feats is from before 20 years ago right? Well, other than the whole prayer thing where Thor flew 48,880,800,000,000,000c.

So, Potentially FTL+ Asgardians then?

I see, so Future Alter Glad is too obscure/unknown/uncared for to be added, yes?

Possibly, although again, this is Marvel. Almost every single character is automatically scaled down in every way to almost match whoever their opponent happens to be at the time.

According to Walter Simonson, this is even a policy, or at least it was when he was working at Marvel.

Future Gladiator is an extremely redundant derivation, yes, and as such not remotely notable enough to get his own profile.

Well yeah. Stupid Marvel. So, handbook scaling then potentially scaling to their logical equals then?

@All: Yeah this is why i never get into comic debating and scaling. I've had so many talks with Ant about this to know that no matter what we may come up with for this verse, it becomes a mess. Like equivalent to cleaning out a warehouse.....yeah.

Anyways i think we could get into a compromise of this by using Gemmy's idea. Logically speaking despite the massive inconsistency that is Marvel itself, it doesn't feel right to have someone like Odin (for example) be slower than his own son Thor if you look at their pages. Same with Zeus and Mikaboshi. So something that Gemmy proposed earlier sounds good enough in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back