• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marth's stats NEED a revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lengthy, but important post. Try to read as much as possible, I've bolded it a little to help with the reading. I've summarized what needs to be changed at the very end.

So I've recently created a versus thread including Marth. To recap, there are many people who believe Marth to be way stronger than he actually is based on his character page. I see a lot of issues with scaling, and it seems flat out wrong in many aspects. (This should apply to more Fire Emblem characters, I just haven't gone too in-depth with them as I have with Marth.)

Let's start with his tier. He has two keys: one without Falchion (his sword), and one with Falchio .

Tier: 8-A | High 6-B

The 8-A part seems kind of off, but I'll get into that later because it revolves his other stats. It's the high 6-B I really have a problem with. His Falchion and him are high 6-B because he has slain beings like Grima and other beings comparable to his strength. Grima's attack potency is also 6-B, because his strength is equal to that of Naga. Now get this, why is Naga 6-B? According to her page, it's because her fangs make up Falchio, which is 6-B. It's just an infinite ******* loop. They make each other 6-B, and none of them have any feats of their own to back up their own strength. (Quick little note: Falchion is actually quite weak in terms of gameplay stats, there are way more impressive weapons.)

I also want to note, Marth has only killed 6-B draconian foes. Why is this important? Because in game, Marth's Falchion carries a specific status effect that remains the same from game to game: Deals bonus damage to dragon units. It's carried over from game to game (at least with this specific Falchion, there's more but I don't think I need to bring it up) and clearly it's meant to be the plot-key to allow Marth to defeat these godlike dragons. He himself has never defeated a 6-B non-dragon opponent, at least not without another convinent plot device that allows him to do so.

I'll now move on to his attack potency.

Attack Potency: Multi-City Block level (Can damage enemies capable of withstanding Bolganone) | Large Country level (Falchion can seal beings like Grima and defeated Dark Dragon Medeus)

First off, there's a few works of canon we can go off of to determine his attack potency. (He has an anime, though there's not a seperate character page for it, even though there's a seperate character page for anime Kirby and cartoon Mario. So basically he's a composite character at the moment.) We can count his gameplay and gameplay mechanics as canon and anything that can happen in normal gameplay would count as a feat, which shouldn't be the case. It's an RPG, we'd see a lot of variance between his abilities and it'd result in a shit ton of outliers, including him dying more times then not. Or, we can go based off of what he's done in the cutscenes, the story, and whatever scripted events he's been put in, which seems like the right option, since it's what the developers specifically curated for us to see.

Regardless, his personal attack potency is scaling from Bolganone, a spell that conjures up lava in the game. The calculation done seems accurate, but the problem is that Marth has never done damage to a foe that has withstood Bolganone before. Like I said, this is going from everything the developers have developed for us to see, and I'm including the anime continuity. Even if he did harm someone who withstood Bolganone, it's still a different type of attack altogether. One is literally an explosion of lava, and the other is a swinging/stabbing motion, it's apples and oranges. Durability isn't a one-size fit all linear description, if a character has suffered damage from Marth and withstood Bolganone, it's because something about their being or equipment is weak to that type of attack specifically. It's a Wonder Woman situation, like how she's able to take punches from Superman, but she's weak to stabbing/piercing motions and thus relies on her gauntlets.

I also want to bring up the fact that Bolganone varies in appearance from game to game. Sometimes it's just a spout of lava brought forth by magical runes , and other times it looks like just a leak of fire in the ground. So it's not true for every Fire Emblem character considering it's practically a different spell every time.

Moving on towards speed.

Speed: SuperHuman movement speed with Massively Hypersonic combat speed and reactions (Capable of dodging Bolting) | Massively Hypersonic

Again, I have not seen Marth canonically dodge Bolting in the cutscenes, story, or even the anime. Saying he can just because it's possible in game is inaccurate, because it also means he has a 0% chance to dodge it in thousands of playthroughs as well. Calculation seems right though, and it doesn't vary too much from game to game, so characters who have demonstrated an ability to dodge it should rightly keep this feat. Overall, I'm not too upset with this feat in general, because I believe he is fast in general.

Lifting time.

Lifting Strength: SuperHuman

This will be quick. There's no feat, even using gameplay mechanics, to suggest that he has superhuman lifting feats. Judging by his build and other characters general training regiment, he's probably Athletic Human (120 to 227kg) to maybe Peak Human (227 to 454kg). Again, this stat is based off of his build and other comparable characters training.

Going on his durability now.

Durability: Multi-City Block level (Can tank Bolganone) | Large Country level (Able to fight Medeus with the Shield of Seals)

I've talked about Bolganone before. Canonically, he has never been hit by the spell in any cutscene, story piece, or even the anime. I'd suggest a 9-A to 8-C durability level, though to be honest, I'm only basing that on his armor and general physical capability. I really have no clue what it should be, but like I said, there's nothing to suggest that he's Multi-City Block level durability.

Every other stat, I'm really fine with, as the rest aren't very relevant to most fights.

So to summarize:

- Marth and Falchion both need an updated page specifying that they are only stronger against draconian foes, and function normally against non-dragon foes. Falchion also needs an actual feat proving it's 6-B attack potency.

- Fire Emblem games Marth and anime Marth need seperate character pages.

- Marth's attack potency is incorrectly scaled and needs a new feat in its place.

- Marth's durability is incorrectly scaled and needs a new feat in its place.

- Marth's speed is incorrectly scaled and needs a new feat in its place.

- Marth's lifting strength has no feats and requires one in order to be superhuman.

>Falchion needs a page explaining that its only effective to draconians? What?

>Never been hit by bolganone?

We go by the assumption that bolganone isnt a special weapon, its a conventional high-tiered magic and nothing else. Something any strong fighter should be able to tank once. And Marth is top tier so...

Main awakening cast endured a expire from eog host of grima. Marth above 90 percent of the awakening cast hence obviously he scales thus problem done and most probably solved for durability and thus potency.

PaChi2 said:
>Falchion needs a page explaining that its only effective to draconians? What?
>Never been hit by bolganone?

We go by the assumption that bolganone isnt a special weapon, its a conventional high-tiered magic and nothing else. Something any strong fighter should be able to tank once. And Marth is top tier so...
Not sure what you're quoting me on. I said their page needs to be updated to reflect that the upgraded damage portion only applies to dragons.

And yes, I've yet to see him get hit by Bolganone, or any other comparable character for that matter. Just because it's generated/created from magic doesn't change what it is, it's still a lava explosion/burst. Marth is a strong fighter, but I see no feats that suggest he should be able to survive it.

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
Main awakening cast endured a expire from eog host of grima. Marth above 90 percent of the awakening cast hence obviously he scales thus problem done and most probably solved for durability and thus potency.
Unfortunately, there is no feats on Expiration. It's vaguely defined as "fell breath" or "dark spikes". So unless there's a calc on it, we can't scale him to Awakening cast.

JustSomeWeirdo said:
Let me go through this in a while, because almost this entire thing is wrong
Alright my guy, show me where I'm going wrong.

Alright

1. Falchion's Tier

We're scaling it to Alm's Falchion, there's no reason for it to literally be 700 billion times weaker when they're both fangs of Naga in the exact same time period, all because of the fact that Marth's just happens to be super-effective against Dragons instead of Terrors

2. Anime Marth

They don't share a page, we don't even have any statistics for Anime Marth, we just have an image for the gallery

I actually have been considering doing OVA pages though, and I guarantee they would be entirely separated

3 and 4. Bolganone

Bolganone is in his games and it also appears in games taking place in the same universe, nobody's been hit by a lot of things in cutscense, you are basically saying a lot of RPG verses should remain featless.

Bolganone isn't an outlier anyways, there are more Tier 8 feats in the verse and there's a Low 7-C feat we could've scaled them to instead

5. Bolting

People in the same universe can avoid it, and we see Chrom dodge cloud to ground lightning in Awakening, and we could easily scale Marth to Chrom by scaling them both to Tiki (in terms of speed, of course)

6. Lifting Strength

Alright, this is something you might be right about

In all honesty, I don't know where this comes from exactly and it has been a thing for a long time, but I have a feeling it has to do with thrown weapons, such as Hand Axes, being thrown with one hand, and also the existence of Iron/Steel/Silver Blades

Might be wrong though

Expiration would obviously be above any magic that was used or made as the attack came from grima obviously way above a mid game mage with magic.

I think it's easier to scale everyone to Alm, given that we scale Grima from Naga and we scale Naga from Falchion which we scale from Duma

There is no reason to believe that Marth's Falchion is weaker than Alm's Falchion by over 700 billion times just because it does more damage to dragons

It's like saying the Omega Yato is only 7-B against Anankos because it partially bypasses Dragonskin, and that the Divine Weapons of Elibe are only 6-A/High 6-A against Dragons and that Echesacks is only 8-C for not dealing effective damage

Also, if OP really wants to use cutscenes for Base characters then everyone is now Small Town level+ scaling to Meteor

Despite most feats in the verse, not even including Bolganone, hit Tier 8 with the every now and then Wall level feat

1. Falchion's Tier

I'll address this so the majority of people can understand what we're talking about.

In Fire Emblem, the kingdom of Altea's national treasure is Falchion, and it's the sword used by Marth and his descendants. It was forged by the Divine Dragon ruler Naga for mankind in order to better protect themselves against the threat of rogue dragons. There does however exist another Falchion, commonly refered to as the Valentian Falchion. This sword, also created by Naga, was given to them as a tool to defeat another villain in the series.

What I'm suggesting is that BOTH Falchions carry special properties allowing them to defeat certain types of foes that normally wouldn't be able to be defeated by these weaker tier characters. Why would I suggest such a thing? Because the items stats and description literally tell us that it does deal bonus damage against certain types of characters.

This is Falchion's description in Shadow Dragon:

"Deals bonus damage to dragon units and Earth Dragons. Can be used as an item to restore 10 HP."

And this is Valentian Falchion's description in Shadows of Valentia:

"Deals bonus damage to Terror units. Restores 5 HP to the user per turn. Capable of killing god units. Allows user to damage Duma when he is using Oculus."

As you can see, both items descriptions clearly define doing bonus damage to certain types of enemies, all of which are the supposedly 6-B boss characters that they defeated. The reason these lower tiered characters canonically defeated them is because of the special properties imbued onto the swords by Naga. The reason they don't deal bonus damage to every unit is because Naga didn't create them with the intent to kill everything, only the specific threats previously mentioned.

So unless the two Falchions are used against a dragon type foe or a terror/god type foe, then the user won't be doing the higher damage output. In-game, they are clearly meant to function as normal swords against any other unit. (Thanks to convinent plot.)

2. Anime Marth

Fair enough. If anyone is going to use feats from the anime in the future, it won't apply to the standard Marth page.

3. Bolganone

Yes
, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's the exact same thing we did to fighting verses. Just because you put these two characters up in versus mode, doesn't mean they're close in power whatsoever. The problem is the entire verse becomes scaled off of one character who has demonstrated universe+ power, which is inaccurate, because we don't take that gameplay into account. We only take feats from cutscenes/canonical fights/any other canon piece of story when it comes to fighting games, why are we not doing the same thing for RPG verses?

Also, why not just scale them to these other tier feats? I suspect you won't be able to because of the same issues that come with this Bolganone dilemna.

4. Bolting

I can accept this feat. It has a calculation behind it, and it has a cutscene where it actually takes place. The scaling makes sense too, I think Chrom and Marth shouldn't be too far from each other in terms of stats, as there is nothing to suggest this. But the feat deriving from Bolting is incorrect, it should derive from Chrom dodging this lightning strike.

5. Lifting Strength

Well until I see a feat on this it's inaccurate as of now.

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
Expiration would obviously be above any magic that was used or made as the attack came from grima obviously way above a mid game mage with magic.
There's still no calculation behind it, so we won't be able to use it for scaling. It clearly acts differently from other magics, so even if it is more powerful, we don't know by how much or in what way.

Also I take back that speed statement, the cutscene doesn't make sense on second thought. I'll prove why after I see JSW's lengthy response though :p

What. Expiration would absolutely shit on all magic below god tier explicit outright actual godly fighters same way a death beam above the moon destroyer from dbz without a calculation for aoe.

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
What.
Expiration would absolutely shit on all magic below god tier explicit outright actual godly fighters same way a death beam above the moon destroyer from dbz without a calculation for aoe.
You're using a fallacy right now, specifically number 11 and maybe a little of number 16. There's no feat for Expiration nor is there a way to accurately scale it to other magics, since they are clearly functionally different.

>Grima had weaker magic than an weak mage despite being a god tier fighter.

He literally ended naga and expiration his best attack.

1. Fun fact, Alm's Falchion does not deal bonus damage to Duma, it does bonus damage to TERRORS, it's just that Falchion allows Alm to get through Oculus, which is why you need it in gameplay

Putting 2 characters up against each other in a versus mode is a false equivalency, this isn't having Dan Hibiki go up against M. Bison, this is more like having Character A and Character B actually canonically face each other, there are enemies who use Bolganone and Bolganone is usable by allied mages, facing the enemies with Bolganone is a canon event that cannot be avoided

4. Everyone canonically survives and enemies canonically use Bolting, I have to go with my reasoning for Bolganone here, facing enemies with Bolting is something that always happens in every playthrough of the games it appears in

A response to both 3 and 4.

Under the same logic, we're going to be downgraded many, many, many RPG verses, Final Fantasy immediately comes to mind

And no, I'm not saying if we go against attack animations for one verse that we should go against them for all verses, but that we do accept attack animations as feats when they aren't outliers, if you want to disprove them, then prove them to be outliers

5. Agreed with J-Man, Chrom jumping with Falchion has to be higher than Peak human for sure

1. Falchio

I'm unsure what your stance on the matter is now. The fact is, the swords have a special property imbued by Naga that allows them to harm certain beings, and the Valentian Falchion specifically allows you to get past this higher tiers enemy attack while no other weapon allows you to do this. It even plays a special death animation if you kill him with it. And the same weapons don't perform these special feats against every single unit, just these selective units. (Also, in FE: Heroes, the Valentian Falchion DOES do bonus damage to dragon units, though the canonicity of FE: Heroes is questionable.)

2. Bolganone

Sure, I can concede that the items your enemies carry are canon. But it still doesn't mean that Marth canonically gets hit by Bolganone. There's no canon scene or story telling that implies he has been hit by the spell before. The same holds true for allies using Bolganone. Sure, it implies that they use it against the enemy units. But we don't know if those units have actually survived being hit by it either. This means we don't know if Marth's sword can deal damage where a lava explosion cannot, and even if it did, they're still two different types of attacks and damage so his attack shouldn't be equal to Bolganone. Like I said, it's a Wonder Woman situation.

3. Bolting

Like I said before, there's no canon scene or story implying that Marth has had the bolting spell specifically casted on him and he's able to dodge it, therefore it cannot be used as a feat of his speed. Chrom was only able to dodge that lightning because he saw the conductivity beforehand, so he's clearly not hypersonic and neither should Marth be. He wasn't even able to stop his sister from falling from what seems to be roughly 400m away at max, so not hypersonic movement speed either, and not even superhuman. (It took 35 seconds from the time we saw Chrom and Emm in frame and could roughly judge the distance to when she hit the floor. He's probably Peak Human, considering the world record for men is 43 seconds.)

Just because it inconvinences other verses doesn't mean it's not the correct way of going about it. Let's focus about Fire Emblem for now, and I'll get to other RPG verses later.

And yes, Chrom jumping with Falchion is borderline superhuman, strength/lifting feat.

"Can get past Oculus, so it is only High 6-B against Duma"

Being able to attack Duma when he has Oculus active has nothing to do with AP, we treat that as a Resistance

"Special Death Animation"

But, that doesn't prove anything? I don't know what point you're trying to make here

"It's effective in Heroes"

Heroes isn't canon to the main series

"What if Marth wasn't the one to be hit by it?"

He can be hit by it, and so can his allies, who are comparable to him, everyone scales to each other in base

"Wasn't specifically used on him"

We're saying that Marth is comparable to people who can dodge it, we're saying he's comparable to people who can, not that it was specifically used on him, because it's never specifically used on anyone, it's something anyone can do

"Saw conductivity"

I'm literally only using it as somewhat of a supporting feat anyways

"Peak Human because he couldn't catch Emmeryn"

Actually, we don't scale Bolting to movement speed, this is literally on every single page, it's only Combat and Reaction Spee

"I'll do the other RPG verses too"

I guarantee that it will go even worse for you for other verses than what's happening here

For example, I honestly think the thread would be closed by now

1. Falchio

Duma can only be defeated by Alm's Falchion. This is because he lacks the strength to do it his own, and the sword provides him with the ability to do it.

Marth's sword does BONUS damage to dragon-kin. This allows him to fight and kill 6-B dragon opponents. He isn't strong enough to fight them himself.

Both swords carry special properties, and in-story, we are told that these swords were enchanted with Naga's power in order to keep these specific villiains down. This is why these swords are only 6-B against certain opponents.

Also, quck side point, Medeus cannot be scaled off of either. He's large country level because he's scaled off of Duma, which is scaled off of Falchion, and he's stated as large country because he was described as being a "threat to the whole world" by Gotoh, like, that vague statement is supposed to carry 100% accuracy and describes how he's a threat to the world. This means none of the 6-B characters as of now have any feats of their own on their pages, they all just scale off of each other with no originating feats. And Duma 6-B because he created a continent...? How does that make him 6-B?

There's no note of FE: Heroes not being canon either, and considering Fire Emblem started as a video game series, it's perfectly reasonable to assume it takes place somewhere within the universe.

2. Bolganone

Just because he can be hit by it, doesn't mean at any point he ever was hit by it. Chrom was canonically hit by a lightning spell of some sort in the intro cutscene. The same doesn't hold true or apply to Marth, at least with Bolganone. I'd like to refer you to this page on the wiki. I think it's relevant to this argument anyway.

3. Bolting

Same applies for bolting. Chrom has canonically dodged a lightning bolt, even if he was provided notice beforehand. Marth has never canonically dodged lightning or bolting in anyway.

I really don't care about the other verses right now, so it doesn't matter how long you stick to that argument, we're focusing on Fire Emblem right now.

"Falchion can kill Duma"

That proves your point...how?

"It gives them the power to fight them"

Exactly, that literally does not support your case whatsoever

"Scaling"

What? The "Threat to the world" is only on his Dark Dragon form, which is stronger than his Earth Dragon self anyway. We scale Medeus from Duma, and that's because they both go against their continent's respective Falchion.

His allies, who are comparable to him, could've been hit by it

Do you even know what powerscaling is?

"Game Mechanics"

You are literally using the AI choosing who to attack as an argument

But the thing is, they canonically engaged in combat with somebody

Somebody who is comparable to Marth

He scales

I'd like to refer you to a sentence in the very page you so kindly linked for me: "Game mechanics are considered non-canon, and using them in an argument is considered fallacious."

Literally the same as my argument for Bolganone, just replace "Bolganone" with "Bolting"

You're misreading. Duma can ONLY be killed by Falchion. (and Nosferatu, but that causes major graphical bugs during the end cutscene and doesn't fall in line with the story, so it's cleary not meant to be canon.) This means that if Alm had any other weapon, he wouldn't be able to kill Duma, and that's because Falchion is enchanted with special properties. I'll rephrase, the sword gives them the ABILITY to fight these SPECIFIC types of characters, not because it gives them strength persay, but maybe because it allows them to pierce their hide/scales, or something to that effect.

You CANNOT scale them to Falchion, because Falchion is scaled to Naga, and Naga is scaled to Falchion. Falchion is also scaled to Grima and Medeus, who again, either scale to Naga, or have no feats of their own.

Yes, they canonically engaged in combat with these tome users. But nowhere does it say that Marth was hit by a Bolganone, therefore you cannot scale him to Bolganone's strength. For all we know, the canon way the fight went down was Marth and his party struck them down before they could throw down their abilities. Same goes for Bolting.

What are you even talking about?

You are proving my point with Falchion killing Duma, you are saying that because Falchion allows Alm to attack Duma, that he's somehow only High 6-B against Dragons

This makes absolutely NO SENSE, it doesn't even fall in line with your argument for Marth's Falchion only being High 6-B against dragons

You are saying that Alm's Falchion is only High 6-B...against Duma for getting past Oculus? Except Rudolf used it to defeat Mila, unless you're trying to say it's only High 6-B against Dragons, which is wrong, going by your very own reasoning that Marth's Falchion is only High 6-B against Dragons for being effective against them.

Naga scales from creating Falchion, note the "FROM", this isn't "Falchion is this strong for being created by Naga" it's "Naga is rated this way for creating Falchion" the only people who scale to Naga are Grima and Loptous.

And your argument against Bolganone and Bolting are literally gameplay mechanics, the fact is they CAN get hit by Bolganone, and therefore, they scale to Bolganone, if you want to disprove Bolganone and Bolting, prove it to be an outlier, and stop using game mechanics for the entirety of your argument

Now, until you stop repeating these arguments, I'm done here

I'm really tired of going in circles with you. The logic is clearly going over your head each time I try to explain it, and I'm not sure it's my inability to clearly convey it anymore, so ill quickly recap, and wait for more input to see if I still need yo further clarify.

- Both Falchions carry special properties against particular types of enemies, allowing them to be 6-B against those types, not everyone.

- Marth has went up against foes with Bolganone and Bolting, but there is never any confirmation in any canon cutscene, story piece or anything that shows him actually being hit by either spell, (admittedly, Chrom has survived a lightning spell in a cutscene) so scaling him to the move is incorrect.

- Falchion is scaled off of Grima, Duma and Medeus, and both of those characers scale from Naga. Naga is scaled from the Falchions. There exists no feat of their own to suggest 6-B, except for Duma creating a continent, which somehow puts him at 6-B attack potency. Creation=/=Attack Potency.

- The two Falchions shouldn't be equal. One has received nultiple blessings, and them being equal just because they both arrive from Naga's teeth ignores how she may have enchanted them with varying power due to the different situations they were used in.

I think it's just a communication error between us, because I'm not suse what there is to disagree with. But like I said, I'll wait for another person's understanding/argument.

Oh hey, a new argument for the very first time in this thread

Actually, we do use creation feats, like, all the time

Prove it to be an outlier, not say that it isn't a feat entirely

I'm also tired, tired of debunking the same arguments over and over again, that is, so I'm just done, if I see nothing new, I'm just closing the thread, seeing as it's all been concluded at that point

Leave the thread open for a bit more because I want to see someone other than us meaningfully contribute.

You've yet to address my counter-counter arguments but the whole thing is a bit hard to follow, so I'll touch on the points again after someone else comments on the matter. As of we are both partial, so an impartial commentator should hopefully spread some insight.

Just a couple of questions.

Did Marth defeat Medeus? Cause the description makes it seem like someone with Falchion did it, not him

Why are we assuming Medeus is comparable to Duma?

Marth defeated Medeus when he was both an Earth Dragon and as a Dark Dragon

It's more of that we consider both Falchions to be equal, and we scale Falchion from Duma, I'm not the one who wrote that justification though, fixing it because it is a bit misleading

Even if the two swords are comparable, that doesn't mean the wielders are. For example, the Master Sword in Zelda is High 4-C, but not all of Links are High 4-C (most are High 5-A)

JustSomeWeirdo said:
Via scaling to Camus, Palla, Est, and Catria, the former of which both can defeat in combat, and the fact that they both fight alongside all four of them, Alm and Marth are comparable in strength
This is okay. Should you add it on Marth's oage as a supporting feat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back