• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Maleficent Sleeping Beauty: New Abilities and other Edits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so this is not an overly major edit proposal, like a new tier, but I think it's noteworthy. Maleficent is my favorite Disney Villain and one of my favorite villains of all times and re-watching the movie, I think we can add some stuff to her profile.
Most of them come from the scene where Maleficent's hypnotizing Aurora so that she can make sure the curse will take effect.

First some abilities :

- Smoke Manipulation : Occurs during the creepy fireplace moment (you know how everyone has a scene from a Disney movie that traumatized them? That's mine). We have a large shot of the room Aurora stands. As the camera gets closer to the fireplace, the fire in it gets weird and suddenly disappears. The resulting smoke slowly rises up like it normally would and takes the shape of the orb that is at the top of Maleficent's scepter. Shown at 7s

- Light Manipulation : As she disappears, Maleficent conjures a hypnotic apparition resembling a green will-o-the-wisp. The fireplace is suddenly lit up and the orb becomes the only source of light in that part of the castle, providing the sickly glow green light for the rest of the scene. Shown at18s

- Sound Manipulation : The creepy tune we hear during the scene isn't simply the soundtrack, it exists in-universe. Flora actually hears the song and immediately guesses it's Maleficent. So the spell evidently produces the music, warranting this ability. Shown at 0:58s

- Matter Manipulation : As Aurora is hypnotized, she walks towards the ball of light in the fireplace and suddenly, the wall behind simply vanishes, only for Maleficent to make it re appear again when the Three Fairies try to follow her. They have to use their own powers to make the wall disappear again so it's clearly a case of Maleficent de-creating and recreating the wall. Shown at 52s (for the wall disappearing) and at 1:10 (for the wall re appearing).

- Invisibility : Shown (so to speak) during the scene when the curse is accomplished. Aurora is about to touch the spinning wheel Maleficent just conjured but for a split-second, actually manages to resist the spell and Maleficent tells her to touch it to control her again. We clearly hear her voice yet she's nowhere to be seen at the moment and the next scene (about some seconds after that), she's standing there as if she was always in the room yet couldn't be seen. Combined with the fact that she was clearly physically there in the fireplace and the will-o-wisp was formed from the orb at the top of her scepter, it's all but stated she can become invisible.

- Illusion Creation: This time, it happens during the scene where Maleficent taunts Philip after he was captured. During her speech, she uses the orb at the top of her scepter to show him images of King Stefan's castle and a sleeping Aurora. This isn't the same as what she shows him after (an elderly version of him), it's a case of her showing things that actually exist, not a possible future. Note that, while it doesn't seem to be enough to be called illusions, the wiki has other cases of Illusion Creation being used to show images, like Wong displaying images of the Stones in Infinity War.

Shown here

- Weather Manipulation: One that spans the entire movie but noteworthy. We know from the Three Fairies that Maleficent can cause frosts and snow storms, they discuss it in the scene where they get their plan to hide as mortals until Aurora's 16th birthday. After that, we have a scene on the Forbidden Mountain with the sky above it being covered with purple lightning bolts, the same ones Maleficent can generate, and the next shot we see purple light in the throne room along with thunder noises as if Maleficent could conjure storms out of sheer anger (and she's not visibly casting spells). At the very end of the movie, Maleficent conjures lightning bolts both from her scepter and the sky and even creates a small thunderstorm to caste her forest of thorns spell.

Also, I suggest her to have tabbers, namely one for her Fairy form and one as a dragon so the profile can get cleaner.

Finally, this is a matter of personal taste here but while it is acceptable (and official), the pic used for her profile isn't good enough for me. It looks a bit too colorful for one of the scariest villain Disney ever produced. I suggest we change her picture profile and get her something different, namely this one.

Last edited:
I'm neutral on the image change, the crow also being on it does turn it less preferable for a profile image for Maleficent in particular, however.

Looks more like Teleportation to me than Matter Manip, or at least less assumptive.

Everything else looks fine.

The crow is also on her current profile picture tbf

I don't really see how it's Teleportation, nothing suggests she moved the thing from one place to another, we see it vanishing and leaving no trace as if it had never been there (Teleportation would have left somee traces) and re appearing as if nothing happened to it.

Okay so assuming we solve the pic and wall stuff issue, could I proceed with the changes if you agree or do I need more intel?

Eh, fair, fully neutral then.

I'd advocate more to just state the event and not give it any power, matter manip generally requires more details to be claimed than merely making something "disappear" temporarily.

Usually you'd need at least one staff member.

I wouldn't say it was temporary, she just made it disappear and then re appear, it wasn't her spell that would only last for some time, but if that's too controversial, I can simply not talk about that

Do you have anyone in particular in mind?

Okay, I added the new abilities and tabbers and put a different pic, it's the same as the one I proposed but one that can fit in our wiki pages

Okay. It isn't a perfect solution, but I suppose that it will have to do.

Should I close this thread now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back