• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Puss in Boots Intelligence Upgrade

Puss is a highly skilled combatant, and I think that he's even more skilled than his profile on the VS Battles Wiki currently describes.

Puss should have "Stealth Mastery" listed on his profile, because he was able to slip out of enemies dogpiling on him without even being seen.

Puss should have "Pressure Points" listed on his profile, because of his "Spanish Splinter" technique. A lesser fighter would've slashed the top of the giant opponent's thumbnail, but Puss was sure that he would jam his sword in a very particular and narrow spot, even though he was launched by a different character. Although Puss only demonstrated this technique during the movie Puss in Boots: The Last Wish as far as I'm aware, it should apply to his earlier key, since it's implied that he already knew the technique before the movie; he already had a name for it and he already had great precision skill.

Puss was able to tell that the big bell that the Sleeping Giant of Del Mar was using as a weapon would get caught around its antlers and hit its face, as indicated by Puss saying "Hey, do you wanna see something cool?" before it happened. This is already regarded as Weapon Mastery, but it also demonstrates an extra type of intelligence, that Puss has a keen understanding of how physics work, or at least that his spatial awareness is great.

All of the above, in addition to what's already on Puss' profile on the VS Battles Wiki, leads me to even believe that he should be regarded as having "Genius Intelligence". He casually demonstrated that his combat skill is superior to that of professional blade wielders, and that he has extraordinary spatial awareness, which he uses in fighting and for acrobatics. This is especially revealed by how Puss had never been touched by a blade throughout his adventures of earning his title as a legend, until his fight with Death. It literally took a supernatural avatar of the universe just to even land a hit on Puss.

Death, being more skilled than Puss, should also be considered as having genius skill. Death's own feats alone should be enough to reach this conclusion anyway, considering the fact that he's meant to deal with everyone without the possibility for failure. The only reason why Death didn't easily win against Puss is because Death was enjoying scaring Puss, and when Puss ended up valuing life, Death decided to spare Puss. If Death were fighting unconstrained ever since the beginning, then he would've easily won against Puss.

Puss should have "Stealth Mastery" listed on his profile, because he was able to slip out of enemies dogpiling on him without even being seen.

Puss should have "Pressure Points" listed on his profile, because of his "Spanish Splinter" technique. A lesser fighter would've slashed the top of the giant opponent's thumbnail, but Puss was sure that he would jam his sword in a very particular and narrow spot, even though he was launched by a different character. Although Puss only demonstrated this technique during the movie Puss in Boots: The Last Wish as far as I'm aware, it should apply to his earlier key, since it's implied that he already knew the technique before the movie; he already had a name for it and he already had great precision skill.
Seems fine

Neutral on the intelligence upgrade

I don't think pressure points are really valid, just having great precision isn't enough, it'd require being able to deal great damage to someone by striking specific points in the body and stabbing under one's fingernail isn't really that. Rest seems ok

I dont think u can be genius at all if not counting your deaths in single digits isnt possible

The abilities here all look great, but I can't agree Pressure Points (for Armour's reasons) or with Puss being a Genius Combatant. His feats just aren't at that level of combat intellect, or general intellect as well

Does the disagreement about Puss being a genius combatant also apply to Death's skills, even though Death has better evidence and context of it?

Also, for the record, can someone please share what else they think Puss would need to do in order to prove himself to be a genius combatant? I understand why people disagree with the notion, but at the same time, to me it doesn't seem like there's much that Puss could improve on, at least based on his demonstrations during Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.

Also, for the record, can someone please share what else they think Puss would need to do in order to prove himself to be a genius combatant? I understand why people disagree with the notion, but at the same time, to me it doesn't seem like there's much that Puss could improve on, at least based on his demonstrations during Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.
There's not really a "bare minimum feat" for genius combatant. A good example are opponents who can perfectly replicate the moves of other fighters after having only witnessed them once, or those who can take on and defeat those capable of the aforementioned feat. But thats just an example, this isn't really like Tier 2 or Tier 1 stuff where there are very specific requirements for this rating in regards to combat

Just because one seemingly can't improve on their skills doesn't make them a genius fighter. Standards are different for fiction and as silly as it sounds, some fighters just don't have it in them to reach higher levels of skill

Yeah I wouldn't say Puss has genius levels of combat. Genius needs either a proper inverse statement that is trusted or it needs an actual proper feat like casually steamrolling several professional martial artists despite comparable AP or copying techniques perfectly after seeing them once. Another potential example is perhaps the skills to dodge immense danmaku that moves as fast as them but that'd be just support at most.

Either way unless you can dig deep into the animated series and find evidence, I'd say that Genius intelligence is not something that Puss has. He is certainly gifted though.

Back