• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MAJOR Revisions for The Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
This profile came to my attention recently.

The Mask is currently rated at 3-C for being able to destroy a galaxy in both The Mask: World Tour and the Lobo VS The Mask crossover. Only problem is, in the latter (I have yet to read the former), Mask didn't destroy a galaxy. IIRC, he simply blew up the solar system. He also stalemated Lobo in that comic, and since the latter is Solar System level at his absolute peak, him destroying a 'solar system' rather than a 'galaxy' seems far more consistent.

There's also the matter of his durability. The whole 'invulnerability to any kind of assault' thing is not only an NLF; it's flat-out wrong. Each wearer's perceived immunity to attacks simply comes from A) being unable to feel pain, B) possessing ridiculous regen that heals them in mere moments, and C) running on Toonforce that bolsters their durability to an insane degree. Many of the wearers do in fact get injured by things; the above combination of pain immunity, regen and Toonforce simply allows them to not give a damn.

Speaking of the Mask's wearers, we need a couple of separate keys for this character, since the overall stats of the Mask are so inconsistent across owners that we can't reliably lump them all together into one key. The earliest incarnations were 9-A at best, and it wasn't until far later into the franchise's run that we started seeing any feats beyond that tier.

Point-blank, this profile needs work. I'd be more than willing to help out with the revision of this character, since I would really like for the profile to stick around the wiki. But the fact remains that this profile does indeed need to be revised.

I am fine with if you wish to revise the profile.

Alright then. Thanks.

I can find the comics online and look for feats on the character once I have more time on my hands. I'll compile a blog and a new profile setup once I've located enough sufficient info.

I've been set back due to my home internet being turned off for the moment, but I'm still working on collecting feats to use in order to quantify the different versions of the character. I have a number of them saved already and plan on returning to this thread once I have everything I need for a revision.

Collecting from every comic is mandatory, seeing as there are at least three separate comic book versions of The Mask with wildly differing statistics. (The original run, Adventures and World Tour) Why on Earth the initial profile treats them all as being the same thing is beyond me.

Also i've Read though the Lobo vs The Mask comic and at one point he and Lobo fly around the Earth a couple of times could that be a speed upgrade?

I'm not even sure why the profile is using Lobo VS The Mask as a source of feats, tbh. I thought we didn't draw feats/scaling from crossovers of that type.

Even then, such would only be applicable for that version of the character. The original run's Mask wearers were nowhere near capable of such a thing.

Almost certainly the latter. I actually plan on dividing all of the versions of The Mask into their own keys, but if making entirely separate profiles of them is more convenient, then I'm open to doing that instead.

If someone else feels like making new profiles for the other versions of The Mask, then I'd be fine with that as well.

Well if so That version of The Mask would probably be 4-B scaling from Lobo and given the ablites it demonstrated in the fight and comic

Yes, definitely. From what I remember, many of the abilities demonstrated in that comic were just absurdly stronger variants other powers The Mask has shown in previous comics (Toonforce, pocket reality manip, ridiculous regen, etc), but any abilities unique to that comic would be featured on the new profile/key as well.

We should preferably avoid scaling from crossovers, yes.

My guess is that we should at least make a separate profile for The Mask as he appeared in that crossover. We have one for Joker-Mask (which, sadly, needs to be revised at some point as well), so it would make sense for us to have one for the LvM version as well.

He would most likely be rated in the same tier as Lobo, yes. Not just because he outright fought with Lobo, but also because he blatantly destroyed a solar system later on in that comic.

Probably, yeah. It's a fairly overt speed feet, so it should yield some sort of worthwhile results for the profile.

Depends. I personally feel it would be safe to have as a backup feat, if only for the sake of completion.

Considering the fact that the two of them performed the same feat at the same time, it would serve as further justification of his scaling.

why should should the mask have reality warping in toon force style instead of just toon force,beacause you might not be able kill or hurt somebody permently with toon force and the mask isn't limited by that.I disagrea because of thisand this

Alright, so I've finally gotten somewhere with my task of collecting feats for this character. I think we can start doing the revisions on the current profile now, but before we do that, here's an overview of what we're looking at.

Initial Storyline (The Mask, The Mask Returns and The Mask Strikes Back)
This set of series should have its own key attached to it, for the simple fact that the end of The Mask Strikes Back marks a huge change in tone for the series due to later comics choosing to adhere closer to the film adaptation's portrayal of the character, as well as the fact that said later installments show a sharp increase in raw destructive power which wasn't present at any point within this trio of stories.

The general range of power here seems to vary between Wall level and Small Building level, with many of the successive wearers becoming stronger and generally more impressive than the guy before them. There are a few exceptional Regenerationn feats as well as a number of Toonforce showings. Notable feats here would be:

I don't see any of these feats straying past Tier 9, and only the later feats are anything I would consider to be 9-A. Speed feats are Supersonic+ at best.

Later Arcs (Everything After The Mask Strikes Back)
This is where the character manages to be come A) more powerful, and B) more Tex Avery-esque. Feats from here-forewards are difficult to really quantify due to being far less grounded in reality, but as far as my opinion goes, I would place them at around Building level at most. Possibly higher, but if so, not by much.

Best feats here would be:

Also, as a note, the "galaxy-busting" feat which supposedly happened in The Mask: World Tour does not exist in that comic. I have no idea where that comes from. At all.

In conclusion, I'm proposing that the main profile be updated accordingly, fixing the first key to reflect the first three comic series as well as adding a second key detailing those which came afterwards. I still haven't gone into Adventures of the Mask yet, but whenever I get around to that, I'll most likely create a separate profile for it. (Since it's contained in a separate continuity from the original comic franchise) I haven't read Lobo VS The Mask yet either, but that should have its own separate profile as well whenever I finally dive into it.

First key will be "At least 9-B. Likely up to 9-A"

Second key's rating will most likely have to be based on calcs, but I'm predicting "Up to 8-C".

Let me know if I've missed any marks here. I want this revision done right so that we won't have to revisit it again.

I'll put in a request for calcs on the more notable feats before I bother to update the profile. most likely won't get any results back until tomorrow at the earliest, but it's probably better to have them than not.

So, I wasn't able to get Mask's more notable feats calc'd due to the nature of their scans. Nothing to really scale things to, according to Kepekley23.

However, he believes the "building-shoving" feat to be within Large Building level territory, so we may be able to rate his second key at that level based on the scans alone. Doesn't seem too out-of-left-field, given the nature of everything else he did in the later comics.

I suppose that should probably be fine.

I can make the changes now, but I'd need the profile unlocked in order to do so.

Okay. I will do so. Tell me here when you are done.

I believe I've finished editing everything I need to. Added numerous powers missing from the profile which explicitly appeared in the comics I've read.

And I decided to delete the non-comic images from the page, seeing as the character will most likely be getting new profiles in the future which are based on the other adaptations/incarnations of The Mask.

Okay. I will lock the profile again then.

Should we close this thread?

Probably. Doesn't seem like there's anything else to go over at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back