• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mac Tries To Become A Literal Air Fighter (Little Mac VS Happy Balloon)

XitSign

He/Him
"Are you sure you wanna do this, Mac?" Doc Louis asked one last time while he and his protégé made their way to the ring. The roar of the crowd was deafening, everyone had turned out for this fight, a challenge from an opponent who represented everything Mac struggled with, everything that held him back, his weaknesses, his shortcommings.

Mac silently turned to Doc, nodding. He'd never been more sure. He needed to do this.

"Alright Mac baby, just keep grounded, stick to what you're best at and show 'em who's boss."

Mac's determination turned to a smile at Doc's support, turned back to the ring as he climbed in, rolling his shoulders as he stared down his opponent.

...A hovering balloon

---

Oooooooh the tiers lining up for this fight make me so happy. Lets do this! Will Mac overcome a physical representation of 'air fighting', or will he fail to pop his greatest flaw?

Little Mac VS Happy Balloon, 9-C Keys, Speed Equalized, and the fight is in a WVBA boxing ring

"You Ain't No Air Fighter, Mac!": 7

Wait the Balloon Scales to WHAT?: 0

These Fights Are Dumb: 0

Last edited:
They can one shot.

Mac even though upscales, but from a 114110 joules feat.
1,392,510.57215/114110= 12.2 times AP difference.

Meaning balloon is sadly one shots mac.

Well that's a yikes...yeah I don't think Balloon downscaling and Mac upscaling saves this then.

Does Classic Mac have any calcs, cause I can switch to 9-C Happy Balloon possibly

Seems the answer is no, but the 9-C feat for the Balloons is 1,090 Joules while baseline is 300 Joules

So 3.6x difference, and that's before factoring Mac likely upscales and the Balloon downscales. Changing to 9-C keys

What's the chance of the balloon using Pop! and blowing up before it can kill Mac? Cause with the AP advantage and paralysis inducement, it's not looking too good for Mac, depressingly enough.

"Pop!" Only triggers on taking a fatal blow, so Mac needs to beat it to death for that to even happen.

It's a 'I'll take you down with me' attack, not something it does normally.

Welp, I really can't see poor Mac winning at all, then. I assume it's a fairly strong attack, and Mac doesn't exactly have any long-range attacks so he can't really avoid it.

It's not actually super strong at all, pretty comparable to the Balloon's normal AP. It's actually a touch underwhelming in that sense, the Balloon's opponent needs to be weakened already for it to be viable.

But yeah, Mac will need to tank it if he manages to beat the Balloon, there's no avoiding that scenario.

In Mac's defense, the Balloon has almost no clear strategy or skill, just using it's attacks randomly without rhyme or reason, and the Paralysis is a random chance status effect, he absolutely outskills if the Balloon's Static fails repeatedly or it never boosts its own luck.

Well, it'd be pretty damn concerning if he didn't outskill a mindless object. Can the Balloon's attacks be dodged?

They can, the characters are able to dodge.

How one dodges a flash of static is beyond me, but it does happen.

I guess dodging attacks from stronger enemies is basically Mac's whole gimmick, so he may stand a chance.

Yeah, it's why I was relieved this key doesn't 1 shot. Mac's got an uphill battle thanks to the AP difference, Luck boosting, and Status Effects having a chance to shut him down, but I was pretty sure this could be viable thanks to Mac being Mac.

Disapointed that this can't be modern Mac, I like him more, but take what you can get I suppose

It boosts the chance of Status effects working on opponents and not working on the user.

So it will make Static more effective, but not really defend against anything since 'punch' is not a status effect.

Not too relevant, then, I think.

I dunno, Mac is good at dodging even pretty weird attacks but there's always a telegraph against a human character, a balloon wouldn't have one I feel.

Probably not, boosts how often Paralysis happens and that's it.

When it's ramming Mac can probably react almost like a punch from the other boxers, but for Static that's probably true, the attack happens in a 'flash' so less visual cues to look for.

Last edited:
Probably it's just turns into a boxer vs balloon?

If balloon attacks by projectiles his wining condition is probably to keep distance.

If both would fight in close distance Mac is skilled enough to avoid attacks.

Leaning towards Mac via skill for now, also sorry for not replying for so long here.

(I guess mostly it's fight in close distance so I think I would vote for Mac for now, he previously faced opponents that can even one shot him so I think he would be enough skilled to avoid attacks and do own combos)

Yeah they're projectiles, but the range is unclear. Besides I put the in the ring to avoid that messy area anyways.

And like mentioned before the projectiles do just 'flash' without a visual cue and cause paralysis, that's more the wincon than keeping its range.

I assume it just alternates between smile, static and tackling at random, right?

Yup, not much strategy, just spaming its three options willy nilly until the opponent is dead or it pops and dies.

Until I missed something I still think Mac can give a combos and take a win before he would got status effected.

The only issue is he's down around a 3x AP difference so it's a lot of punching he'll need to do, and Static doesn't have much of a visual tell.

If he does get flashed by it, especially if the Balloon smiles first, there's a real possibility he could get stunlocked.

Mac's skilled, ridiculously compared to a Balloon that might not even think, but that's still a possibility to consider.

Yeah, I dunno, between the AP disadvantage and the fact that punching a regular, 10-C balloon is basically fruitless, I can't see Mac doing any significant damage.

This match makes me think I should, one day, make a post talking about material properties. Armor just made me think about this.

I can't really see Mac winning. Hilariously, he is slammed by the happy(?) living piece of rubber, unless he finds a needle somewhere and punches it into the balloon and then... I don't even know-

I don't see why that wouldn't work given the context.

Sure a normal balloon has give when you punch it, but the VCRPG balloons take direct attacks from The Kid and still take the damage like a normal opponent, no reason we should assume Mac can't do the same in an equalized setting, though the AP different means he likely needs more punches than The Kid did.

...it is a bizare moment of clarity to talk about a professional boxer being physically weaker than a Balloon...I should've used Tyson for peak absurdity

Back