• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lightning's Return Stroke

Assaltwaffle

VS Battles
Retired
While digging through lightning speeds (I got on a universe size and speed comparison kick) I realized that lightning has something known as the Return Stroke. This phase of lightning moves at around 1x10^8 m/s, nearly three full orders of magnitude higher than our current average lightning speed.

Is this stroke ever featured or used in fiction? Any lightning experts who would like to chime in? This is pretty interesting, as this return stroke is around 227x faster than 4.4x10^5 m/s.

Hehehehe....man people miss stuff like this when it comes to lightning~

HEHE~

In serious tone, there is this guy maybe? From what i can recall, he first does a stepping ladder than, going by what i can somewhat recall of looking up on lightning properties, goes hella fast which is what i think is the return stroke effect of his speed as you can see on his page.

For other fictional examples, i can't say as i don't think this has ever been mentioned aside from normal lightning feats.

So the return stroke, unless specifically mentioned, isn't really usable?

Also that big boi needs to be straight-up Relativistic. 1x10^8 m/s is about 33% c, which is well within the bounds of Relativistic. Oh. I know why. He is missing a 0. The Return stroke's speed isn't Mach 30,000, it is Mach 300,000 (well 291545 but close enough).

Hey, how's it going lol

I would assume so, yes. In all related versus threads either through here or outside like at animevice or spacebattles or even just on calc's like from the OBD that i've seen and/or can recall/remember, nobody ever mentions this aspect of lightning. So the verse in question may have to mention it specifically like Tengu's case for it to be used...at least that's how i see it.

For Tengu again in his case here...ehh, idk. I think it's supposed to be Mach 30k according to what the author put. Even the Toriko wiki on his page mention/note it to be just Mach 30k, which is odd from what i've seen otherwise of an IRL RS (Return Stroke).

Here:

"Brunch has the ability to generate and control large amounts of electricity. It is strong enough to completely incinerate the Gourmet Corp.'s Beasts, and even scorch and stun Elg, hinting it would be fatal to the latter if he were not immortal. Brunch's body contains electricity-producing organs like an electric eel, but each of his cells also act as amplifier circuits. He can produce over 100,000 amperes of electricity with an average potential of 100 million volts, rivaling the power of a lightning bolt. Since the time needed for discharging it is only 0.1 seconds, his attacks are virtually unavoidable. When preparing a long-distance attack, he first makes the path in the air, the Stepped Leader (ÕàêÚºåµö¥Úø╗ (Òé╣ÒâåÒââÒâùÒâêÒâ¬Òâ╝ÒâÇÒâ╝) Sutepputo R─½d─ü), to lock on his targets, then unleashes the offensive discharge, the Return Stroke (Õ©░ÚéäÚø╗µÆâ (Òâ¬Òé┐Òâ╝Òâ│Òé╣ÒâêÒâ¡Òâ╝Òé») Rit─ün Sutorōku). While the first part goes at the speed of 200 Km/s (Mach 600), the second is much faster, traveling at 10,000 Km/s (Mach 30,000)."

Edit: I would assume that the author might have been a number off of the Return Stroke speed part.

Yeah, looks like he forgot a zero. Also didn't you used to have a green name? I would look at your profile but the Wiki glitches for me sometimes and doesn't show Group labels.

Perhaps so, but this is the only example of a character having such explicit mention of a return stroke done in their verse.

Edit: If anyone else got an example aside mines that's probably the closest to a mention of this aspect of lightning, they're more than welcome to it here.

About that, i use to but that's because i'm no longer an admin (and i prefer not to considering i didn't feel like doing shit anymore with how trashy the environment was months ago). So i'm just a content mod which is a lot better and more convenient for me to do. Hence the yellow name tag color.

Back