• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Light feat standards: Reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned previously, it would be best if we leave Bleach out of this thread entirely. Nothing in the proposal even mentions Bleach.
Edit: Jynxed again.

Anyway i think this thread is being too technical. Being realistic no one should be light speed cuz its scientifically impossible

Anyway i think this thread is being too technical. Being realistic no one should be light speed cuz its scientifically impossible
This is terrible, inapplicable logic on a website which indexes fiction.

Do we really need to be stricter about Light Speed? I mean at this point nobody's gonna be Light Speed...
The proposal is on the classification of light, not on Light Speed itself.

Do we really need to be stricter about Light Speed? I mean at this point nobody's gonna be Light Speed...
Its more so just to clarify on reflection and how vsb treats it. i got like different answers on it. A clarification would be nice. As for strictness, explosions seemed to have been removed on requirements. I personally think the requirements arent that strict

If the compressed and improved rule is accepted, a list of all the series that will be affected by it should be made, right? I remember that this wasn't done about stabilization skills
I'll be making that soon myself, as I already know a few other verses that can be put into question about it.

Just to make this little distinction.

Firstly, this isn't really relevant to the specific feat. The feat is blocking some beam, which is argued to be light by others. Light travels at the speed of itself. Secondly, we already do account for that not being physically possible. We don't do FTL KE calcs and shit, since it's just assumed that they aren't going to be following the rules of physics.

I agree. Story writers are generally simple thinkers. I called it light and I made it reflect. It is enough for this writer. I don't think that any writer physically cares where the light is reflected. just as they ignore and show the physical consequences of exceeding the speed of light

I think the issue with is that just disregards physics a bit too much
light speed is some thing special. Photons keep a constant speed and their are so many factors to why its that speed. Just going "its called light" for example opens the door to so much in fiction getting that speed slapped on, without further analysis

I agree. Story writers are generally simple thinkers. I called it light and I made it reflect. It is enough for this writer. I don't think that any writer physically cares where the light is reflected. just as they ignore and show the physical consequences of exceeding the speed of light
The problem with this argument is that it's inconsistent with our general site policy of eschewing the intent of authors in favor of what they've actually written in. The flash saves a city feat is a well known example, where narration calls a feat sub rel that's actually mftl+.

The problem with this argument is that it's inconsistent with our general site policy of eschewing the intent of authors in favor of what they've actually written in. The flash saves a city feat is a well known example, where narration calls a feat sub rel that's actually mftl+.
If we call an attack the speed of light, because it is the author's thought, we determine its speed according to the expressions in the story to show that the author's thought is the speed of light. I think the author's intention is the most important factor.

Yeah but that is not the argument. calling something light and saying its exactly light speed has a difference.

Take one piece for example.
Kizaru's light doesnt really behave like light, but is stated to be light speed

A thing being stated to be the speed of light isn't really the same thing. The issue with the author intent thing that I am bringing up is that it is inconsistent with the entire rest of the website. You'd have to argue why light speed standards should be an exception to everything else.

Just to throw another small crumb in, another reason why "beam of light!" claims should not =/= being MADE out of light is because light beams are not even generally made out of light.

Light can be produced and generated by tons of different energy sources and things that glow, shine, etc. but are not actual natural light. Saying a beam is made out of light for that reason is as big as me saying its made out of lightning, fire, spirit energy, whatever the case is.

Beam of light claims in my opinion should be dropped.

I'm not saying that just saying light is enough. If the author says that there is light and wrote the rule of reflection, which is one of the most obvious indications that there is light, I think there is no need to go into further detail because the light is reflecting straight away I think that any author did not do more to show that something is light.

Non-staff can comment on staff threads as long as they're on topic and not disruptive, according to what AKM told me.

Just to throw another small crumb in, another reason why "beam of light!" claims should not =/= being MADE out of light is because light beams are not even generally made out of light.

Light can be produced and generated by tons of different energy sources and things that glow, shine, etc. but are not actual natural light. Saying a beam is made out of light for that reason is as big as me saying its made out of lightning, fire, spirit energy, whatever the case is.

Beam of light claims in my opinion should be dropped.
Eh, this doesn't work so well. That emitted light is still going to be traveling at the speed of light. Just because it's coming from me setting a fire doesn't mean the light is suddenly moving slower.

Eh, this doesn't work so well. That emitted light is still going to be traveling at the speed of light. Just because it's coming from me setting a fire doesn't mean the light is suddenly moving slower.
It would if the light wasn't real natural light to begin with. That was what my point was gunning for.

That isn't actually how that works irl. The source of light doesn't determine its speed, the only thing you can really do to slow it down is make it move through a material instead of a vacuum. Light moves slightly slower in air than the SOL value, slower still in water, etc. Instead, the argument against "beam of light" sort of stuff is just that we don't consider that on its own a high enough standard of proof to get such a fast speed and that it's often contradicted with unrealistic properties.

Just a nerdy correction, light moves at the same speed no matter what, it just moves apparently slower through a medium due to internal refraction, aka the path is longer.
In the right conditions, within a Bose-Einstein condensate, it can get down to 1 mile/hr to virtually stopped entirely.

I don't think we need to make the reflection thing more strict. I mean, I understand that the OP is correct, but you can't expect authors to go into this much detail while making something reflect off something else. The standards need to be realistic.

I don't think we need to make the reflection thing more strict. I mean, I understand that the OP is correct, but you can't expect authors to go into this much detail while making something reflect off something else. The standards need to be realistic.
I understand that, but wouldnt it be better at the very minimum how the site defines reflection on the feats page?

As for the author point, I agree not every author has this in mind. But reflection is still a pre requisite set by this site. i think it should explored, as to better prove light as being viable in different fictional verses

In the right conditions, within a Bose-Einstein condensate, it can get down to 1 mile/hr to virtually stopped entirely.
*Practically 1 mile/hr. Each individual photon always moves at c, but in dense mediums it bounces around on the molecules, you can think of it like a dense material being a complicated maze that the light has to navigate through, while a vacuum is like a straight road.

I think that Wokistan and AKM both make good points. Should I ask DontTalk and some more calc group members to comment here?

Light should reflect in a realistic fashion to qualify, proving realism is the entire point.
However, one should apply that within reason. Let's remember that artists usually aren't physicists calculating out lightbeams.

As for the OP, I think one doesn't have to put quite that detailed of an explanation on the page. I suppose one could mention defusion as a separate thing from reflection, though.

Light should reflect in a realistic fashion to qualify, proving realism is the entire point.
However, one should apply that within reason. Let's remember that artists usually aren't physicists calculating out lightbeams.

As for the OP, I think one doesn't have to put quite that detailed of an explanation on the page. I suppose one could mention defusion as a separate thing from reflection, though.
i can agree with this

So do we need to change anything based on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back