• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lifting Strength Via Throwing

XitSign

He/Him
I'm having a minor issue calculating Lifting Strength from throwing an object. I'm finding multiple methods people seem to use in various calcs, and I'm genuinely unsure which is the most correct method to use.

Especially because I'm getting VERY odd numbers. The character in question is throwing about 5000 kg into the air about 21 meters...and my final value seems to keep coming out somewhere in 'Peak Human' which I'm finding VERY hard to believe.

Can someone share proper methods to try to calculate a throw's lifting strength to help me out? Thank you!

F = ma is the best method to go with.

A = (Final velocity - Initial Velocity)/Time Taken

F = ma is the best method to go with.

A = (Final velocity - Initial Velocity)/Time Taken
Thank you so much, I'll attempt that.

There were a lot of suggestions, and a lot of them didn't seem to give very logical results...

I must be doing something wrong calculating initial vs final velocity, I keep getting a final velocity that's much lower than the initial speed.

Initial Velocity is this calculation from our page: "v = sqrt( R * g / ( sin(2 * a) ) ), where v is the initial launching / throwing speed, R is the distance the object is thrown, g is the gravitational acceleration (9.81 m/s^2) and a is angle between the ground and the direction the projectile gets launched in. Ensure that the angle is given in the same unit used for the sinus (i.e. either both degrees or both radians)." correct?

I must be doing something wrong calculating initial vs final velocity, I keep getting a final velocity that's much lower than the initial speed.

Initial Velocity is this calculation from our page: "v = sqrt( R * g / ( sin(2 * a) ) ), where v is the initial launching / throwing speed, R is the distance the object is thrown, g is the gravitational acceleration (9.81 m/s^2) and a is angle between the ground and the direction the projectile gets launched in. Ensure that the angle is given in the same unit used for the sinus (i.e. either both degrees or both radians)." correct?
Uhh, initial velocity of a body at rest is always zero

Uhh, initial velocity of a body at rest is always zero
I have seen a handful of recommendations that were NOT using 0 despite the object being at rest, which is where my confusion comes from...

Just trying to search topics by 'Lifting strength' and 'throwing' I've seen people all over the place, which makes me concerned that some calcs might be confused...

And I may still be doing something wrong, because somehow throwing the weight is getting a value in N that's lower than the weight of the object itself.

I may have just simply done this wrong to begin with following other threads...

I have seen a handful of recommendations that were NOT using 0 despite the object being at rest, which is where my confusion comes from...

Just trying to search topics by 'Lifting strength' and 'throwing' I've seen people all over the place, which makes me concerned that some calcs might be confused...
That's a problem then. So long as the body was originally at rest before being thrown then it's initial velocity should be zero. Unless the object was already in motion and they applied force to increase it's speed then there's no reason why it shouldn't be zero.
And I may still be doing something wrong, because somehow throwing the weight is getting a value in N that's lower than the weight of the object itself.

I may have just simply done this wrong to begin with following other threads...
Did you create a blog?

That's a problem then. So long as the body was originally at rest before being thrown then it's initial velocity should be zero. Unless the object was already in motion and they applied force to increase it's speed then there's no reason why it shouldn't be zero.
Definitely was either referencing feats that I shouldn't have or feats that have issues then...
Did you create a blog?
I do now. I moved everything I was working on into the bottom-most part of the blog. It's a little bit of a mess because I started rambling and trying multiple things based on things I was looking up. I'll try to clean it up but I'm a little tight on time today. Right now is basically everything from my notes.

Definitely was either referencing feats that I shouldn't have or feats that have issues then...

I do now. I moved everything I was working on into the bottom-most part of the blog. It's a little bit of a mess because I started rambling and trying multiple things based on things I was looking up. I'll try to clean it up but I'm a little tight on time today. Right now is basically everything from my notes.
Can't say much for the pixel scaling and other calculations but take initial velocity as 0. That's currently the root of the problem.

I see now. Not to be the bearer of bad news but this feat isn't gonna give you anything better than the weight of the shack itself, anything else will always be lower because the acceleration is lower than the standard gravitational constant (4.3188 vs 9.81).

W = m * g * h

m = mass of the object (in kg)
g = acceleration due to gravity (approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth)
h = height (in meters)

W = 5000 kg * 9.8 m/s² * 21 m = 1,029,000 Joules

F = W / h

F = 1,029,000 Joules / 21 m = 49,000 Newtons

Class 5 and close to Class 10

Can't say much for the pixel scaling and other calculations but take initial velocity as 0. That's currently the root of the problem.

I see now. Not to be the bearer of bad news but this feat isn't gonna give you anything better than the weight of the shack itself, anything else will always be lower because the acceleration is lower than the standard gravitational constant (4.3188 vs 9.81).

Okay so then I did get it right trying things out eventually. I was genuinely baffled I was getting a lower value for a throw, I didn't realize that was a natural result you can get.

Yeah that's okay then, I just didn't realize a throw could get a value lower than the weight itself. Unless anything changes I'll just cut the throw from the blog then.

Thank you everyone!

Back