• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Something About Multi-Galactic Lifting Strength

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So, we currently have the border of Galactic and Multi-Galactic Lifting Strength at 6*10^43 kg, which is 3*10^13 solar masses. Here's the thing. The mass figure you guys got from Wikipedia for ESO 146-5 (claimed to be the most massive galaxy) has NO Citation. I literally went in to edit that galaxy's Wikipedia article to add a more reliable statement with a citation. Bear in mind, @H3110l12345I20 is formulating guidelines to ensure the reliability of real-world sources as we speak, so you peeps don't have a leg to stand on. Speaking of the article I cited, here it is: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2208.08843.pdf

This article, written by university researchers, puts the mass of ESO 146-5 at 2.7*10^13 solar masses, give or take 0.4*10^13 solar masses, but for our sake, let's use 2.7*10^13 solar masses. One solar mass is 1.98847*10^30 kg. Doing the math here, the mass of ESO 146-5 would be 5.368869*10^43 kg. Let's say for our sake this would be 5.369*10^43 kg. As such, the new border would be as follows:

5.369*10^43 kg
5.369*10^40 tonnes
5.265*10^44 newtons

Now that there's a figure with an actual reliable source backing it up, I implore you guys to change the border. Seriously, it's not hard to be accurate.

So, we currently have the border of Galactic and Multi-Galactic Lifting Strength at 6*10^43 kg, which is 3*10^13 solar masses. Here's the thing. The mass figure you guys got from Wikipedia for ESO 146-5 (claimed to be the most massive galaxy) has NO Citation. I literally went in to edit that galaxy's Wikipedia article to add a more reliable statement with a citation. Bear in mind, @H3110l12345I20 is formulating guidelines to ensure the reliability of real-world sources as we speak, so you peeps don't have a leg to stand on. Speaking of the article I cited, here it is: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2208.08843.pdf

This article, written by university researchers, puts the mass of ESO 146-5 at 2.7*10^13 solar masses, give or take 0.4*10^13 solar masses, but for our sake, let's use 2.7*10^13 solar masses. One solar mass is 1.98847*10^30 kg. Doing the math here, the mass of ESO 146-5 would be 5.368869*10^43 kg. Let's say for our sake this would be 5.369*10^43 kg. As such, the new border would be as follows:

5.369*10^43 kg
5.369*10^40 tonnes
5.265*10^44 newtons

Now that there's a figure with an actual reliable source backing it up, I implore you guys to change the border. Seriously, it's not hard to be accurate.
This should be a staff thread.

The way you’ve conducted yourself regarding our standards aside, this seems fine to me. Pretty straightforward change

I'm growing incredibly tired of your threads being constantly antagonistic towards your fellow staff, as though you can't control a tremendous superiority complex long enough to post like an adult.

None of the current calc group members made these standards. Do you realize what that means? We "don't have a leg to stand on". We. That means you, too. You are as much an avatar of a system made before we got here as we are. So I'll ask you one more time, to add to the pile of times I've asked you before: grow up and have at least a baseline level of respect for your fellow person. Is it your belief that you are the sole person working to better the wiki? Do you feel yourself better because you looked at some numbers you found on Google? We don't need or probably want this sort of shitty behavior day in and day out from a supposed team member. This is the last time I will ask before speaking about a removal from our staff for outright disgraceful behavior.

I'm growing incredibly tired of your threads being constantly antagonistic towards your fellow staff, as though you can't control a tremendous superiority complex long enough to post like an adult.

None of the current calc group members made these standards. Do you realize what that means? We "don't have a leg to stand on". We. That means you, too. You are as much an avatar of a system made before we got here as we are. So I'll ask you one more time, to add to the pile of times I've asked you before: grow up and have at least a baseline level of respect for your fellow person. Is it your belief that you are the sole person working to better the wiki? Do you feel yourself better because you looked at some numbers you found on Google? We don't need or probably want this sort of shitty behavior day in and day out from a supposed team member. This is the last time I will ask before speaking about a removal from our staff for outright disgraceful behavior.
Honestly, thank you for bringing this up. I’ve noticed this for some time now, even on some blogs (for instance, a Phix calculation blog that says, and I quote, “according to our mostly unreliable section on Meteors in the Calculations page”) and it’s grown increasingly tiring as time has gone on.

Know what? It's better if we both said "My time has come."

I cannot stress enough how much I agree with this statement.

As for the proposals, it looks okay.

As long as you're willing to put in the work of checking however many pages you need, to make sure that this 10% reduction of the border is applied properly, I don't mind.

But if not, I don't think it's important enough to justify a large movement of other staff's time.

Back