• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lifting strength has a bit of a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andytrenom

She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
In the Lifting Strength page it says that Peak Human ranges from 227 to 454 kg

The rating after that is superhuman and the one after that is Class 1 and here's the strange thing, Class 1 begins from 454 kg which is the upper limit of Peak human implying that peak human and Class 1 should be next to each other in the list

Despite that there's an intermediate rating of Superhuman between these two which simply describes itself as being any unknown value above Peak Human...except as we've just seen, a value above peak human would at least be class 1. What is the purpose of this rating exactly? Is it supposed to imply that the character's lifting strength could be even above class 1 but it isn't certain? If so then "Unknown" would be more appropriate for such a situation. Anyway is there anything I'm missing or is this just as odd to everyone else as it is to me?

I most guess its an Unknown rating but with the exception that the character has Striking Strength levels superior to human's. Although I see it a little useless even with that description.

Even unknown characters typically have some minimum level of strength which we know they're above, so superhuman still seems pointless to me as a rating if the logic behind is "they are at least confirmed to be above peak human"

Welp, according to our reference for baseline 9-B rating, one particular human can hit with a strength of 1048 kgf, but that depends of what people refer to that level when the rating were made.

I always took SuperHuman lifting strength to mean 'an unknown value but definitely stronger than any human is capable of'.

It's not really useful though other than getting rid of an Unknow value on a lot of profiles.

@Damage3245 and @Andytrenom Unknown and Superhuman aren't equatable though. Unknown is unquantifiable, so they could lift planets or struggle to lift a chair and we wouldn't know, whereas Superhuman is useful because we know that they can lift more than Peak Humans, but to an unknown extent

It's also much cleaner looking and easier to understand at a glance than "At least Peak Human, possibly Class 1", or any other equivalent statement

Superhuman is a fancy way of saying "Unknown". Doesn't need revising as far as I know but there you go.

not sure why this was highlighted

It is just a quick way of saying "an unknown degree of above peak human lifting strength". It is a bit unnecessary, but does not do any harm, and it would require unspecified searching through thousands of pages in order to remove, so I do not think that a revision is required.

@Bambu Cause it would suggest mass revisions and because I was feeling ignored

@Ant I guess I can understand. Tho the task could be made easier if you used a script that selects "[ [ Lifting Strength ] ]: Superhuman" and gradually remove the instances unaffected due to being a different key.

Just a suggestion tho

Anttron224 said:
It's also much cleaner looking and easier to understand at a glance than "At least Peak Human, possibly Class 1", or any other equivalent statement
You would not use Superhuman for a situation like this tho. Superhuman says it is for characters who are above Peak Human and above Peak Human is class 1 at minimum

If you can provide a reasonable estimation for the strength level, you should obviously write that instead.

Superhuman is just a secondary Unknow lifting strength state, but with emphases that it's Class 1 and above. Superhuman is usually what I have to characters who can move large blocks, but haven't had a proper calc. Since you don't quite lift the entire weight of the object unless you move it with enough acceleration.

I'm neutral on what we should do for the Superhuman lifting strength as a stat, but I think it's preferable to keep it. To be fair, Superhuman is just a 2nd Unknown stat, but it is more popular than unknown given the numerous characters that are blatantly above Class 1.

Guess our guys are right. Btw should I remove this from the highlight thread? I was uncertain if it needed one to begin with

No, it can stay, but we should probably close this thread.

I don't really want to close it this early. Even if I am not pushing for a change I would still like to hear some opinions on this

Maybe update that bit of the Lifting Strength page to say something like this?:

> Superhuman: ? (Any level of strength clearly above peak human that does not have a known value. Effort should be made to calculate the Lifting Strength based on feats, but until then this is a placeholder.)

How's this?

Superhuman: ? (Any level clearly above peak human that does not have an exact value. Effort should be made to calculate the true value based on feats, but until then this is a placeholder)

Or this (Just sounds more professional)

Superhuman: ? (Any level clearly above peak human that does not have an exact value. Effort should be made to calculate the true value based on feats, but until then this is a substitute)

Anttron224 said:
How's this?

Superhuman: ? (Any level clearly above peak human that does not have an exact value. Effort should be made to calculate the true value based on feats, but until then this is a placeholder)
Actually yeah, this sounds better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back