• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lifting strength has a bit of a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anttron224 said:
Or this (Just sounds more professional)

Superhuman: ? (Any level clearly above peak human that does not have an exact value. Effort should be made to calculate the true value based on feats, but until then this is a substitute)
This seems fine to me.

With the class 5 thing I just find it weird that we don't rate peak human strength as peak human. If the reason for not changing that at this point is that it's too much of a hassle that's just how it is I guess but it seems really weird that real people are apparently past the bounds of what is humanly possible by up to 3 tiers.

@Wokistan What would you even name the tiers after renaming Class 5? You would have to put Superhuman lower to fit the new list as well, and way too many pages would need revisions (i.e. Pages with the old Peak Human, Superhuman, Class 1 and Class 5). I don't think it's worth the effort.

• Below Average Human:
  • Regular Human:
  • Above Average Human:
  • Athletic Human:
  • Peak Human: to Athletic Human +
  • Class 1: to Uber-Human
  • Class 5: to Peak Human
  • Superhuman:

I think Damage's description looks good, but I'll address something else.

@Wokistan, another problem is that we do rate lifting strength based on the ability to lift something in general, and not specific on a lifting method. Obviously there is a difference between backlifting and bench pressing. Keep in mind, most people unless they're bodybuilder level can't really bench press their own body weight, and on average people can only bench press roughly 40% of their body weight. But our baseline for normal humans is lifting their own weight because that's how much they can carry.

As for the Class 5 stuff, that has always been via backlifting and no one has ever bench pressed quite that much. Our baseline for Class 1 is based on the world record for bench pressing which is 454 kg iirc. I still think the superhuman lifting strength rating is fine as a lot of feats do involve lifting with just their arms; implying it would be even higher if they back lifted. Plus, I prefer if Class 1 and Class 5 are still here.

Medeus is correct about that our baseline for Class 1 is based on the world bench pressing record.

Antvasima said:
Medeus is correct about that our baseline for Class 1 is based on the world bench pressing record.
And that is dumb, as that record is only achievable by the use of extra equipment.

The world raw deadlift record in my opinion should rather be used, as it's typically what is thought of when people think "lifting" something off the ground. And in that case, Benedikt Magnusson's 460 kilo lift is the heaviest on record with no use of extra equipment.

40% of body weight seems really low for an average bench. Is there like an article for this or whatever because that means the average person can't bench 72lbs. Is this for reps?

Bench pressing means they use nothing but their arms to lift something, as opposed to lifting something and using literally every muscle in your body to support the weight. Usually when people lift an object of the ground, they're also using their legs as well as their arms. And keep in mind that average human wouldn't just include athletes, but also physically impaired humans and or nerds who simply aren't physically fit. It would be average based on all humans who live.

I forgot where the article said that, but actually, I think it said that's how much a person should be able to lift without injuring themself. And I think it said something about that they can lift it above their head using just their arms.

Benching's mostly chest, and given that just the bar is 40 that seems like an awfully low estimate. This is sorta off topic though, the class 5 thing was more just my personal musings

Benching also has triceps just gonna slide that in

Crabwhale said:
And that is dumb, as that record is only achievable by the use of extra equipment.

The world raw deadlift record in my opinion should rather be used, as it's typically what is thought of when people think "lifting" something off the ground. And in that case, Benedikt Magnusson's 460 kilo lift is the heaviest on record with no use of extra equipment.
I am fine with if we change the limit to 460 kilograms instead.

I have updated the definition for superhuman lifting strength based Anttron's wording, and I also updated the Class 1 lifting strength's baseline to 460 kg for reasons above.

Okay. Thank you. Should we close this thread then?

I suppose we can given the main topic has been taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back