• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

LGBT additions to the Vsbattles wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely what makes you

A: Think this will happen and not just immediately get shut down if it happens anyways

B: Be aided or caused at all by the creation of this category
A. Because it will happen for a while before being shut down. Not everything on this wiki is instant, and some people can rally up to try and go "No, a char is this instead".

B. You're seriously asking how adding the LGBTQ+ category will cause discussion about a certain char's gender, and whether they are trans or not or what they identify as?

Why just not put there the kindle for the fire? It's exponentially better to prevent the shitstorm from happening then to just try to quell it.
Tbf couldn’t it be argued finding the homophobes on this wiki and getting rid of them would in the long run be beneficial? There’s already stuff here that could bait out homophobes. Why do we have to protect bigoted people‘s “right” not to see anything that would provoke them to speak their hateful views?

I also think that we should split the category into "Homosexual Characters", "Bisexual Characters", and "Transgendered" characters instead, in order to keep the indexing process far more self-evident and straightforward to handle.
I think that'd actually be a bad idea, given the ambiguity of so many cases. At least LGBT Characters is vague; with a lot of characters, getting any more specific than that is gonna be difficult and the specifics will be heavily up to debate.

I also think that we should split the category into "Homosexual Characters", "Bisexual Characters", and "Transgendered" characters instead, in order to keep the indexing process far more self-evident and straightforward to handle.
I don't think indexing sexuality is necessary at all, as that would imply we create a "Straight Characters" category. At very best, I can see a "Transgender" category, but even that can be mostly rendered irrelevant with proper usage of "Male" and "Female". The only off-case would be non-binary and other more complicated cases, but there comes a point where we can't create a category for everything.

In fact, for brevity, can we have a simple tally of votes over who agrees the category should be allowed and who shouldn't? Leave a post, or if you don't want to do that, leave a like on this post specifically if you would prefer for the category to not be allowed. Naturally, leave a post if you want the category to be allowed.
Well, I personally think that you have made better arguments above, but I mainly just want the solution that minimises upcoming toxicity and division as much as possible.

I'm also generally against excessive categories and want a lot of them removed, so this one feels just unnecessary to me, even as a lesbian.
Wow this is great because it perfectly sums up my thoughts exactly.

Even outside of the whole issue of LGBT stuff, I just think the category is not really necessary? Doesn't really feel like it'd contribute much at all. This, along with ambiguous situations make me somewhat against this category, unfortunately.

A. Because it will happen for a while before being shut down. Not everything on this wiki is instant, and some people can rally up to try and go "No, a char is this instead".

B. You're seriously asking how adding the LGBTQ+ category will cause discussion about a certain char's gender, and whether they are trans or not or what they identify as?
Look, we’ve already had and completed the discussion of Bridget. We shouldn’t prevent ourselves from restating our stances because the initial creation of those stances was controversial, that’s a nonsensical mindset. It’s akin to banning the creation of any and all profiles for a verse if the road to applying its scaling or a certain rating was toxic and/or controversial because that would stir up more discussion about the already resolved issue

I think that'd actually be a bad idea, given the ambiguity of so many cases. At least LGBT Characters is vague; with a lot of characters, getting any more specific than that is gonna be difficult and the specifics will be heavily up to debate.
I don't think indexing sexuality is necessary at all, as that would imply we create a "Straight Characters" category. At very best, I can see a "Transgender" category, but even that can be mostly rendered irrelevant with proper usage of "Male" and "Female". The only off-case would be non-binary and other more complicated cases, but there comes a point where we can't create a category for everything.
Okay. Never mind then.

Look, we’ve already had and completed the discussion of Bridget. We shouldn’t prevent ourselves from restating our stances because the initial creation of those stances was controversial, that’s a nonsensical mindset. It’s akin to banning the creation of any and all profiles for a verse if the road to applying its scaling or a certain rating was toxic and/or controversial because that would stir up more discussion about the already resolved issue
You are acting like this will be a smaller scale thing and that it will happen on only a single verse. It's a possibly wide issue and I can see it happening to sexualities too.

I just don't think this wiki is civilized enough to have that, and not literally everybody that is part of one thread will appear on the 3468th thread about a char's gender or sexuality.

Tbf couldn’t it be argued finding the homophobes on this wiki and getting rid of them would in the long run be beneficial? There’s already stuff here that could bait out homophobes. Why do we have to protect bigoted people‘s “right” not to see anything that would provoke them to speak their hateful views?
If LGBTQIA+ content on this wiki exists, and is raided, vandalised, or otherwise attacked by bigots, and your plan of action is to remove/silence the content, rather than ban the bigots, it speaks volumes about your priorities between protecting the “peace”/avoiding “controversy” and protecting the LGBTQIA+ members of this wiki

You are acting like this will be a smaller scale thing and that it will happen on only a single verse.
We’d have to have these discussions anyways when deciding how to list their gender on the wiki, from there it’s just reaffirming a stance we have already made

I can see it happening to sexualities too.
Please give me an example where this could get messy in terms of sexual orientation. I guarantee you it’s not as complicated as you think
I just don't think this wiki is civilized enough to have that
I do, agree to disagree
the 3468th thread about a char's gender or sexuality.
If it ever actually got that ridiculous (which it won’t) then we have discussion rules for that kind of stuff

not literally everybody that is part of one thread will appear on the 3468th thread about a char's gender or sexuality.
As I mentioned above, if we keep the category in question, I think that we should have an ongoing general discussion thread that we link to within the category page, in which ALL suggested LGBTQIA+ characters should be evaluated and accepted before the category can be added to them. Without edit summary box links to the posts in this thread that the additions were accepted, the category should be systematically removed.

However, there is a big risk that the thread itself would likely turn into an ongoing disaster area, as our community unfortunately largely just isn't balanced and mature enough to handle this more serious topic in a calm and reasonable manner, given that even versus discussions between superheroes and Goku tend to recurrently turn too toxic, for example.

Last edited:
That will just be more work with more categories. Even one is too many to handle.

I still stand by my initial reaction upon seeing the thread. Seriously deleting it will prevent a lot of inevitable headache for practically little gain.

And I feel like people here are not mature enough to discuss these topics. Many are too quick to jump on "oh you're LGBT-phobic, wiki bad" train and many are too quick to just be LGBT-phobic. People can't discuss it like adults. The last few threads are examples of that. Accusations, controversy, hot takes, etc. We need to spare ourselves of this pain.

Last edited:
Disagree entirely, this just adds more categories to the mix when it's already being argued on whether one is even necessary.

As for my previous posts, I'm changing my vote (are we having a vote) to a hard no, in light of what Mori brought up which I hadn't considered at the time. Much as it sucks, people can be really twitchy and aggressive over certain topics, and there ain't much that gets people going quite like gender issues, on either side of the divide.

Personally speaking, I was around when the whole thing about Yamato from One Piece was happening (still might be happening) and even just being exposed to that second-hand was tiring. I'm not willing to have shitfests like that happen over a single category, especially when we as a wiki, conceptually, shouldn't give a **** unless it's pertaining to the indexing of the character in a relevant manner.

This kinda sucks for me to say, but I'm on Mori's side.

The fact that there's 3 pages dedicated to debating whether or not we should add LGBT categories to the wiki really says a lot.

We're obviously not ready for this kind of stuff.

Oh, so they can censor any bad thing about themselves even if it's barely nothing, but are all capable of protecting bigoted comments because ''freedom of speech'' or whatever bs?
It was deleted because it's inciting shit where everyone can see it and is completely irrelevant to the thread. Ant may have said something somewhat off-kilter, doesn't mean you have to jump on his throat about it.

That, and I'm not certain you have permission to be here. Again, STAFF THREAD people. Right up there, in the category.

Understood.

TL;DR I agree with Moritzva and I would like it if this topic were banned in the future, as we routinely ban certain vsbattles matchups due to them being too dramatic and bringing up too much controversy, meanwhile discussions on even a single character (Yamato) have cost the wiki two staff members for no reason.

Topic banning this is even worse than straight up rejecting it. We're really saying that this community can't be respectful enough to include just one category? Like, this exactly what I mean by this sending a bad message.
That's not what we're saying and you're twisting my words.

Topic banning this is only to prevent massive controversies being stirred up over nothing. This isn't something unique to the vsbw; I've seen a lot of otherwise casual communities eat themselves alive for a short while due to something becoming suddenly 'political' (see: Percy Jackson) and the end result is always the same: a topic ban so that those communities do not become overrun with endless controversy over stuff that doesn't matter.

I'll repeat it again, the amount of toxicity that Yamato alone has generated on this site is astonishing. I am literally rebooting the entirety of the Pokemon verse and that thread was a lot less hostile than the decision to give Yamato a category.

@Ayewale I'm not twisting your words though. Your very response says it as well. I don't see how us saying its too controversial to have a category for LGBT characters is anything less than saying our community can't handle it, and how that inadvertently sends a bad message.

@Ayewale I'm not twisting your words though. Your very response says it as well. I don't see how us saying its too controversial to have a category for LGBT characters is anything less than saying our community can't handle it, and how that inadvertently sends a bad message.
I disagree.

It's not about sending a message. It's about recognizing that the community made up mostly of teenagers that debate if the plastic space man can beat the sparky sparky boom boom man maybe isn't the best place to be talking about such a controversial issue.

For the record, I think topic banning entirely is unnecessary, but I can understand why someone would suggest it.

It still sends a message regardless. I know no one is intending on sending such a message, but that doesn't mean we won't send it. And what really makes this not a good place for it ends up being when we as the admins decide that we won't let it be. If the staff is unwilling to even try and let it be, then of course this won't be a good place for it. But it can be, if we give it that effort. And it looks like we're going to be saying no to it.

After reading the above, especially Ayewale’s since deleted post, I have to say that this category seems to be far more complicated to apply than I had anticipated. Though I love the idea of this category on paper, and ultimately find this a sad reflection on our community, it is possibly more than we seem capable of handling to simply categorise characters confirmed as either LGBTQIA+ or not.

Consider me neutral for now

I disagree with a thread ban massively. We as a community can grow and change for the better, and also wording it wrong could lead to disastrous levels of censorship of LGBTQIA+ topics and prevent members from expressing an important part of their identity.

After reading the above, especially Ayewale’s since deleted post, I have to say that this category seems to be far more complicated to apply than I had anticipated. Though I love the idea of this category on paper, and ultimately find this a sad reflection on our community, it is possibly more than we seem capable of handling to simply categorise characters confirmed as either LGBTQIA+ or not.

I disagree with a thread ban massively. We as a community can grow and change for the better, and also wording it wrong could lead to disastrous levels of censorship of LGBTQIA+ topics and prevent members from expressing an important part of their identity.
I'm basically with Pika here.

Though I lean more towards disagree because of Mori's comments.

However, a thread ban is something I'm 100% against. Our wiki/community can most certainly grow, so to just thread ban is stupid.

Like, weren't Superman vs Goku threads banned because of how controversial and toxic they can get? But guess what; We ended up doing Supes vs Goku and it ended up being a success after having many doubts of it initially, and it's looked back on by many as one of, if not, their favorite thread they participated in.

Correct me if my logic is flawed, but I'm 100% against thread banning this.

Oh.

I thought the last one didn’t send…

my bad-

That will just be more work with more categories. Even one is too many to handle.

I still stand by my initial reaction upon seeing the thread. Seriously deleting it will prevent a lot of inevitable headache for practically little gain.

And I feel like people here are not mature enough to discuss these topics. Many are too quick to jump on "oh you're LGBT-phobic, wiki bad" train and many are too quick to just be LGBT-phobic. People can't discuss it like adults. The last few threads are examples of that. Accusations, controversy, hot takes, etc. We need to spare ourselves of this pain.
This seems to make sense to me, and it seems to have much greater support here, but I would much prefer if LGBTQIA+ staff members systematically remove and delete it, while inserting links to this thread, as it might give a very bad look for our community otherwise.

Amelia has left specifically citing that thread as the reason, and the_impress was demoted because of the same thread (and then she said she'd leave).
That is not corrrect. Our Human Resources group decided to demote Impress for her very aggressive behaviour in the thread wherein we decided to get stricter personal pronoun standards than Fandom uses, combined with a long history of preceding bad behaviour that I had almost consistently protected her from the consequences of due to that she was an otherwise very productive member.

After that, and due to me not being able to express myself in a manner that makes my intentions properly understood about a controversial topic, Amelia decided to quit, and blame me for all of her grievances over the years and deliberately ignite a lot of controversy, despite that I had unwisely decided to give her many second chances for her very bad behaviour toward me and AKM as well over the years, and now here we are, unfortunately.

Oh, so they can censor any bad thing about themselves even if it's barely nothing, but are all capable of protecting bigoted comments because ''freedom of speech'' or whatever bs?
It is not BS.

I am virtually incapable of being dishonest due to a lack of mental filters. I genuinely did believe that if all of society cracks down too harshly on people who are even slightly bigoted, they will just gradually get grudges that eventually turn into hatred and much more extreme bigotry, which can cause violent conflict and require increasingly authoritarian measures to crack down on, which is extremely dangerous, as it causes constant escalation.

So I generally much prefer if people can get the chance to verbally get to know each other, learn that the other side is not composed of horrible malevolent monsters, and become genuinely tolerant of each other instead.

However, this is not society as a whole, just a forum, and sensible staff members have told me that I have had the wrong approach, so I may very well have been mistaken, and need to adapt to using harsher measures.

Also, I have not deleted any of your posts here.

Seeing as the comment was deleted Ant, there wasn't a need to respond to it. Nor do I think this is the right place to do so.
Okay. My apologies about that. I seem to have a compulsive need to explain myself if I think that somebody severely misunderstands or distorts my intentions.

Carry on please.

Yall

Don't bring up Yamato here.

Like even speaking of Yamato in the wrong way by accident is bannable by fandom. So let's not.
Is the situation that extreme? I thought that they simply require us to use proper pronouns in our wiki pages.

Don’t “both sides” homophobia or transphobia, please. Even if it’s bigotry you personally find minor
I was thinking of progressives and conservatives, and nationalists and globalists, actually, as they increasingly hate each other in society as a whole, and largely want to use more extreme measures as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back