• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

LGBT additions to the Vsbattles wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the situation that extreme? I thought that they simply require us to use proper pronouns in our wiki pages.
To be completely clear, using anything besides he/him pronouns in reference to Yamato will be considered misgendering and will result in local wiki and global bans.
Bans for misgendering, a form of bullying and hate speech, have been enforced on the Fandom platform for years. Willful misgendering of Yamato or any character on the Fandom wiki platform will be met with the consequences I've described. I hope this response clears up any confusion or ambiguity.
As for my previous messaging on bans for misgendering, my intent was to remind this community of the policies that have existed for a considerable amount of time and that they will be enforced as they always have been. Fandom as a platform is a space where users can make mistakes and grow from them, but this can only happen when everyone is engaging with each other in good faith on the platform. Ignorance is forgivable, but not excusable and anyone who insists on misgendering Yamato will receive local and global bans of varying lengths depending on the severity of their edits and posts.

It's that extreme. That's why I don't even like talking about Yamato anymore on fandom

Oh, that is very harsh, yes, considering that it isn't an actual person, just a fictional character.
I can get why some would be opposed to stuff as strict as mentioned above but not for the reason of “it’s just a drawing”. Misgendering can very easily be an intentional form of hate speech and it still speaks volumes about your character if you perform an act only on a fictional character, as very rarely if at all will that be where the line is drawn with the user

I can get why some would be opposed to stuff as strict as mentioned above but not for the reason of “it’s just a drawing”. Misgendering can very easily be an intentional form of hate speech and it still speaks volumes about your character if you perform an act only on a fictional character, as very rarely if at all will that be where the line is drawn with the user
Well, I think that consistently treating others in a draconian manner will likely create grudges and a bad circle of increasing escalation from all sides, as I mentioned previously, but let's return to the main topic please.

Can we stay on topic?

This is about the category and its place on the wiki. It's not the space to air your own personal political beliefs or grievances. Enough about it.
Okay. I hope that we can all manage to shut up about it now, including myself.

Regardless we should start tallying votes from staff, and staff should start voting.

I vehemently agree with Mori's views on the topic.

We can barely have a civil conversation without people's intentions getting assumed to be ____phobic.

I see no heavy reason to bring this to a powerscaling site. We've lost productive members and staff over the lightest discussions about this, and this thread is proof of how many people would troll innocent members of said community.

It's like fishing for chaos.

I apologize to anybody I might've offended with that, but I'm agreeing with Mori for now.

I also agree with Moritzva, as I mentioned previously. Is somebody willing to count the votes so far here please?

I really don't think we need to be discussing how to write the Gender section of a character profile in this thread. That's a whole other ballgame, and if I am not mistaken has been handled elsewhere already.

Also, AGAIN, STAFF THREAD. Get permission to comment. I'll be deleting any further comments from people who haven't been here since the beginning and haven't gotten permission from now on with no warning.

It still sends a message regardless. I know no one is intending on sending such a message, but that doesn't mean we won't send it. And what really makes this not a good place for it ends up being when we as the admins decide that we won't let it be. If the staff is unwilling to even try and let it be, then of course this won't be a good place for it. But it can be, if we give it that effort. And it looks like we're going to be saying no to it.
This is a very dramatic response, no offense.

We are not screaming into the abyss. We are preventing a category's existence to save ourselves the headache. It is a purely neutral, practical course of action, that saves us and regular users a lot of spite, rage and effort. If people choose to take that as a problem, then they are free to do so.

I am in agreement with Moritzva. This idea initially sounds like a harmless addition that makes the wiki seem more inclusive, but as AKM and Mori have mentioned, it's not worth the effort for the constant arguments and headaches it will inevitably cause in the future. Even in this thread, there's been back and fourths on whether or not to include the entire LGBT acronym. Which, speaking of, could cause a lot of confusion over lots of different ambiguous terminology, leading to a rapid increase in heated arguments.

Overall, it's a very minor gain in the grand scheme of things that risks separating our wiki and members further. It isn't worth it, and so I believe the category should be deleted. That seems to be the best decision given the circumstances.

This is a very dramatic response, no offense.

We are not screaming into the abyss. We are preventing a category's existence to save ourselves the headache. It is a purely neutral, practical course of action, that saves us and regular users a lot of spite, rage and effort. If people choose to take that as a problem, then they are free to do so.
You can say so, but I believe it disingenuous to say this is a neutral response. A neutral response would be simply not commenting on it, which still says something as well.

But, I've see minds have been set, so go ahead.

I don’t think a vote count is needed to see staff are very much against this category all in all
Okay. Understood.

@Abstractions @Andytrenom @Moritzva

Would any of you be willing to completely remove and delete the following category please? I or AKM can give Moritzva temporary content moderator rights for the task if necessary.

You can copy-paste the following justification in the small edit summary boxes while you are removing it if you wish:

"After a long discussion we concluded that this would risk to cause too much controversy for our community to be able to properly handle: https://vsbattles.com/threads/lgbt-additions-to-the-vsbattles-wiki.141431/post-5044460 "

I would need content moderator rights to do so, yes. If others would like to clear out the category in my steed, they are welcome to, but I can step up otherwise.

Well, it seems safest if a staff member who is LGBTQIA+ themself handles the issue, in order to minimise the controversy.

I will give you temporary content moderator rights then. Thank you very much for helping out.

Okay. I will give you admin rights instead. Amelia mentioned earlier that mass-editing scripts do not work well for content moderators.

I have done so now. Tell us here when you are done please.

It's done.

I can't add justification text through the MassCategorization script. People will get the idea from the past edits or will have it explained to them.

Unrelated side note, is Promezwein still operational or nah. I know KavBot got repurposed even after Kavpenny left.

Thank you both for helping out. It is very appreciated.

Should I remove your extra staff rights now then, or is it safest if you keep them to remove possible new additions of the category in the coming few days first?

Feel free to remove it, someone else can handle that.
Unrelated side note, is Promezwein still operational or nah. I know KavBot got repurposed even after Kavpenny left.
Promezwein is still functional and under my control, just not doing much on VSB as opposed to elsewhere.

Okay. I will remove your staff rights then. Thanks again for helping out.

Feel free to contact me via PMs if you want my help with something or to give me instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back