• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Let's slow down a little (JJBA speed downgrade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuasiYuri

They/Them
VS Battles
Retired
I surprisingly never saw any kind of downgrade about this, but MFTL for everyone and their grandmother is kinda incoherent, so let's go see everything regarding this:

Polnareff and Hanged Man​

Basically the origin of the rating (since every others feats seems to be between FTL and FTL+); coming from Silver Chariot cutting Hanged Man, a light-speed stand.

And honestly, did people forgot about the fight while applying this? No offense, but the whole point of the fight was that light speed is too fast for Silver Chariot and that Polnareff needed to anticipate the trajectory by limiting it. (Ik one of them has a different translation, but it's more coherent overall + the official translation says basically the same).

Even the last cut was only possible because of the coin thrown by Kakyoin, since otherwise Polnareff couldn't predict and touch him (some can say "it's because he didn't want to hit the people", but that's sure wasn't what they said).

So a MFTL slower than a LS dude, needing to anticipate his movement and who can't touch it when he has more than one possible trajectory? Not really possible. A low FTL or something like that would however have some consistence.

I know there's a blog explaining it, but as far as analysis goes, they can't go against the work itself.

How fast is light speed for the people in the verse​

Might as well talk about the others feats, so let's look at them all to see if MFTL (or even FTL+) truly is consistent:

-Red Hot Chilli Pepper is considered impossible to keep up with for anyone but Jotaro because of being light speed. Note that it's related to how he's said to be the "fastest stand" in this part, which is heavily implied to be thanks to his time stop (it's even what we actually have on his profile).

-Joseph dodged a laser from the Red Stone of Aja , however they considered this very close, and without taking into account how ****** up perspective was at this time, the calc for it is only 2 times above baseline FTL, which is kind of acceptable.

-Another one I can think of is Kars "blocking" Stroheim's ray . The only thing I could truly be against is how the low and high end are separated (9 to 46c) without anything telling us the end we're using. Also there's a high chance that Kars didn't actually tried to protect itself, since not only would this be useless (Stroheim's ray ignores his durability) but his main goal was to not lose the Red Stone of Aja, which was in his hands.

-Then we have the well-knowninfo about FTL Star Platinum (some said that japanese vers. actually associate it with time stop which would explain the odd phrasing, but I don't really want to dig in this); considering how he's the "fastest stand" in the verse AND was stated to be able to keep up with RHCP, it's kinda logic.

-At last, there's deflecting The Sun's rays which I just can't find much to say about. I mean even when they're called "energy ray" they're pretty much rays produced by a big Sun and considered as such by Joseph. The result is very high in comparison to the others feats to (around 76c)

Just to add a little; some feats are one-time ones in a verse where we have tons of one time feats not consistent at all (Crazy Diamond punch speed, Weather Report slower than airplane; etc...). So we would need something with some consistence for the new rating.

New rating/Conclusion​

Overall, here's what I think:

I don't mind calc, they're great when you doesn't have much info or when they're backed up by statements. But Polnareff fight would have been a one-case one if we consider that he was MFTL during it. The whole point of it was "Hanged Man is faster than me" and it would be like ignoring a fight based on intellect and use it to scale two characters AP.

Now what would be better?

Personnally I think FTL more consistent overall, having 4 to 5 feats (if you take Kars' low end and Hanged Man who could give low FTL at best).

FTL+ seems pretty high for a random encounter such as The Sun's and could be put as an outlier, although I don't mind it that much.

Ik there has been a lot of issue with people saying "FTL Jojo is an outlier"; but I'm now wondering how "what's beyond FTL may be an outlier" will go.

I completely agree with the idea, MFTL is too much. Also I get the point in saying them but those Part II feats kinda don't matter to the scaling with Stands.

Certain people is going to try to deny this by nitpicking certain parts, like saying that SC cut HM twice, so I'm already going to say that the first was an imprecise cut done due to seeing HM beforehand and there were dozens of times where hitting him wasn't even possible. Also, the possessed SC vs Jotaro fight adds to nothing, SC was amped, Pol's profile explains that well.

GER's Infinite Speed is actually supposed to have another thread (because of how it was delayed from infinite speed whole removal cuz it's controversional), but I preferred to do this one first.

Also Part II speed kinda influence since Joseph is in both part. Didn't want to propose Relativistic+ because of how it seemed kinda low, but anything between this and FTL+ (although I really see it as an outlier) would work.

oof

I don't think Whitesnake should scale to Star Platinum in speed, he cleary caught him off gaurd

Made in Heaven after a bit of amping should scale

Also Part II speed kinda influence since Joseph is in both part. Didn't want to propose Relativistic+ because of how it seemed kinda low, but anything between this and FTL+ (although I really see it as an outlier) would work.
In practice, this is like saying that there's air in the planet in both Parts; it's true but it doesn't have to do anything. Old Joseph isn't as fast as young Joseph.

Sorry for the random example.

Just my two cents, but it always gave me a laugh looking at JoJo profiles having not only MFTL Stands but also Stand Users with MFTL reaction speed.
I just can't imagine how Polnareff and Silver Chariot even had trouble dealing with J. Geil and Hanged Man when the former is MFTL while the latter is LS. They should've effortlessly stomped them with absolute ease. Hell, even if they were FTL they should've been able to do so.
Also, I can only imagine what a hellish experience it must've been for Yoshikage Kira when he died. I don't think his reaction speed would've slowed that much even after getting beaten down, so it must've been painfully long death getting run over by an ambulance with his MFTL reactions. It was probably annoying relying on Stray Cat as well, who has below average attack speed. Would've been frozen in time from Kira's perspective.

Now what I think

>Hanged Man and Silver Chariot stuff

Agree, but should be noted that the main problem for Polnareff is not the speed, but how the attack is: small and almost impossible to see, since when he knew where the attack was gonna hit, he could intercept it. Polnareff could be FTL or even higher.

>RHCP and lightspeed statement

It's weird. Crazy Diamond is consistent portrayed as fast as Star Platinum but got stomped by RHCP. Imo we should give RHCP a "At least Speed of Light (Stated to move at lightspeed), likely FTL", same for Crazy Diamond.

>Calcs and such

they should all be recalced. Most of them are from NarutoForums (90% of chance of being wrong), you can't see pixelscaling and such. We should recalc them using colored scans and maybe the anime if the manga panel is weird or can't be used to scale.

I do agree with most of the thread, and I think we should even revise the powerscaling. I doubt all Stands scale to the FTL calcs. They shouldnt be FTL while this id a rating for the "fastest stands".

And I agree with not scaling Young Joseph to Old Joseph. Part 2 characters are by far the strongest in terms of AP, Speed and such, since the main enemy of the most powerful Stand is a vampire. And vampires are fodder for Part 2.

It's weird. Crazy Diamond is consistent portrayed as fast as Star Platinum but got stomped by RHCP.
Not really tho, when they fought Josuke was amped via having his hair insulted but later states SP to be more powerful and that scan above says SP the number 1 in speed and power.

I'm not sure if this amps Josuke, it's more like a state where his morality changes, and he use Crazy D at full power (or himself at full power, like against Rohan). And when both fought, Jotaro commented about Crazy D's speed and had a bit of difficulty. Note that Jotaro fought against a amped Silver Chariot, but was impressed with Crazy D's speed.

>Hanged Man and Silver Chariot stuff

Agree, but should be noted that the main problem for Polnareff is not the speed, but how the attack is: small and almost impossible to see, since when he knew where the attack was gonna hit, he could intercept it. Polnareff could be FTL or even higher.
Not really, since as you can see in the scans he flat out says "Because of his speed my sword couldn't catch it". He never really talked about the size.

He never stated, yeah, but that's implied. Chariot could hit Hanged Man in mid flight because he knew where he was gonna hit, when he couldn't predict, he couldn't hit. That's why this feat is complicated to discuss. You have a statement X feat.

I'm not sure if this amps Josuke, it's more like a state where his morality changes, and he use Crazy D at full power (or himself at full power, like against Rohan). And when both fought, Jotaro commented about Crazy D's speed and had a bit of difficulty. Note that Jotaro fought against a amped Silver Chariot, but was impressed with Crazy D's speed.
Well, he later states SP to be more powerful, can't keep up with someone SP would keep up with and SP is stated to be faster. We're not told it's an amp but given context and how it nonsensically made him ignore his own sight, it would make sense if it gave him that gap in speed he didn't have against RHCP.

He never stated, yeah, but that's implied.
Did you look at the scans linked? "Because of his speed my sword couldn't catch it" is just me quoting what's said in the very first scan.

Well, he later states SP to be more powerful, can't keep up with someone SP would keep up with and SP is stated to be faster. We're not told it's an amp but given context and how it nonsensically made him ignore his own sight, it would make sense if it gave him that gap in speed he didn't have against RHCP.
I know he said that, but the statement is about power, not speed. When Araki want to make a stand faster than the other, he outright states "He is faster than X" and things like. I do agree that SP is faster than CD given the statement about n°1 in speed, but it isnt a huge gap, since both fought and Jotaro was impressed with CD speed. CD could get a "likely SP tier in speed", whatever.

About the amp, it's what said, his morality changes, only that.

Did you look at the scans linked? "Because of his speed my sword couldn't catch it" is just me quoting what's said in the very first scan.
Yeah, and did you look the scan where Chariot intercepted Hanged Man? Feat X Statement, as I said.

I'm not fully sure if I agree with everything but this should be kept in mind
Now I think you should be able to see the difference in our fighting experience. Once your opponent starts to boast of victory, he has already lost. This is how Joseph Joestar does things. I guess I just get better with age!
~ Joseph, to the Empress

I know he said that, but the statement is about power, not speed. When Araki want to make a stand faster than the other, he outright states "He is faster than X" and things like. I do agree that SP is faster than CD given the statement about n°1 in speed, but it isnt a huge gap, since both fought and Jotaro was impressed with CD speed. CD could get a "likely SP tier in speed", whatever.

About the amp, it's what said, his morality changes, only that.
Josuke said it out of nowhere in context, there was no reason to say anything about speed too, and power can refer to it. The gap is huge enough for CD to not keep up with someone SP could, a the speed of light, which SP is faster than and CD isn't. Should it be an amp then it makes sense for Jotaro to be impressed with CD's speed.

If it was just a morality change it wouldn't remove his own sight to make him ignore mind hax.

I'm not fully sure if I agree with everything but this should be kept in mind
Now I think you should be able to see the difference in our fighting experience. Once your opponent starts to boast of victory, he has already lost. This is how Joseph Joestar does things. I guess I just get better with age!
~ Joseph, to the Empress
This is just a catchphrase in an episode/chapter dedicated to Joseph. He stopped training Hamon, and this training is not just breathing, it is physical training. He keeps the same physique, even old, because it is an art style from Araki + that can be justified with Hamon I constantly entering in his body with each breath he takes.

That doesn’t make it an amp. He was just able to ignore HD because of his mental state of sorts. More of a weakness from HD rather then an amp on Josuke’s part.

That doesn’t make it an amp. He was just able to ignore HD because of his mental state of sorts. More of a weakness from HD rather then an amp on Josuke’s part.
Yeah, IIRC Heaven's Door's original function is that you had to see Rohan's manga in order for it to work on you. Rohan insulting Jauceke made him "blind with rage" that he didn't really see the manga pages, or it didn't qualify as seeing it based on its function (probably requires certain amount of focus/attention on it).

Josuke said it out of nowhere in context, there was no reason to say anything about speed too, and power can refer to it. The gap is huge enough for CD to not keep up with someone SP could, a the speed of light, which SP is faster than and CD isn't. Should it be an amp then it makes sense for Jotaro to be impressed with CD's speed.

If it was just a morality change it wouldn't remove his own sight to make him ignore mind hax.
I'll answer this later, because I'm having issues with internet and can't download some scans now, but just to let you know that I really disagree with CD not scaling to SP.

Except that the statement explains how he does the feat. Hanged Man is faster, so he needs to anticipate. That's basically all there is to it for their fight.
He needed to anticipate the direction and trajectory, Silver Chariot didn't move before Hanged Man. You still have a Feat X Statement. Chariot could anticipate, attacked while HM was some centimeters from the coin. It would still require speed to do the feat.

I'll answer this later, because I'm having issues with internet and can't download some scans now, but just to let you know that I really disagree with CD not scaling to SP.
You may disagree, but saying that Crazy Diamond was consistently portrayed as fast as Star Platinum was just wrong.
He needed to anticipate the direction and trajectory, Silver Chariot didn't move before Hanged Man. You still have a Feat X Statement. Chariot could anticipate, attacked while HM was some centimeters from the coin. It would still require speed to do the feat.
We know that. But you're wrong, it's not just the feat and the statement, but also all the anti-feats of them not being able to hit it. Putting all those showings in a graphic and having their MFTL feat there too would be the most basic showing of what an outlier is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Silver Chariot moving after Hanged Man left the random dude's eye was an anime-only scene, and should either be not considered as manga takes precedence, is an outlier, or is just a rule-of-cool brought upon by the anime, or all of the above.
Polnareff's exact lines where "With all that in mind, I was able to figure out its trajectory. Once I had my sword up and ready... slashing him... was very easy! And with the scene in question, it looks like Chariot was already in position to hit Hanged Man, and it is very likely that Polnareff just timed the sword slash with the moment the random dude closed his eyes. Either way, doesn't really require FTL speeds IMHO (and like, the whole point of this fight was overcoming the speed gap by strategizing against Hanged Man's weakness).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back