• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Let's get real about Baki

EliminatorVenom

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Okay, I feel like this is a discussion that should've been done a long time ago, but we need to discuss and put some really solid facts about Baki. I thought about making this into a CRT, but this isn't really a CRT, just stablishing some rules for a future CRT.

Baki has went through a cycle of revisions that, in retrospective, have been mostly the same cycle of upgrades, downgrades and some circular reasoning, and I don't exhempt myself from this, I should've been not only more cautious but more participative about things. First and foremost, I think that I need to apologize to @LordGinSama as I feel I've been unfair to him a few times, particularly on the Yujiro downgrade to 8-A, particularly after re-reading Baki. While I still think that 7-C/maaaybe 7-B Yujiro has some basis, now I recognize that it isn't nearly as solid as I thought it before. And the reason is the same for many revisions in Baki: Cherrypicking information, for the good and for the bad of whoever made said revision.

So, we need to talk about a few issues in Baki, which are way more important than scaling. We can do all the scaling we want, but only after we solve a few problems. And by solve, I don't mean a majority arguing for something, the minority standing down because they are the least-heard voice, the decision being pushed as official, and a few months or weeks later, after nobody cares about it anymore, the minority turn up again and bring back Baki to how it was before. I will try to be as honest as possible and cover as much bases as I can before arguing for anything, for both things that I personally approve and for those that I don't, because I feel like honesty and cautious adhering to the canon of Baki; not theory (even if well-supported), but first and foremost the facts.

1. Characters are wrong​

First fact that we need to tackle: In Baki, characters are frequently wrong about what they believe. I don't think any of them consciously lie in the series, but many are either overconfident, misinformed or were just wrong in their guesses. Sometimes they were correct in the past, are not anymore, but still believe that things are as in the past. This is an important thing to recognize, because I see too many arguments that depend heavily on the statements of characters, such as saying that "I am stronger than X", or that he is "powerful like an army", or whatever. We should not do that. Our main arguments should be based around a combination of factors, of which hard evidence should be first and foremost; character statements are a distant second.

Why I say that? Because:
  1. Gaia was described, many times, as being a better tactician than Yujiro, and at the time of his introduction, that he was as dangerous as Yujiro. That is wrong. He may be a better tactician or at least more willing to fight tactically than Yujiro, but for all his build-up as being as dangerous as Yujiro, he was easily wrecked by Yujiro, as shown before Baki and Yujiro's first fight with each other.
  2. Oliva was built up as an equal or at least close to Yujiro in some way or another. Yujiro clearly respected him in some measure, they seemed to stand in similar ground during the Vietnam War, Strydum believed that Baki, after beating Oliva in raw strength, was the biggest threat to Yujiro. That is wrong. Not only did Yujiro immediately shoot down Strydum for daring to compare him to Oliva, but he actively one-shot Oliva later on while holding himself back and using padded gloves. Yujiro also performed far better against people that Oliva couldn't deal with, such as Musashi and Sukune. Worse; this is something that Baki and Strydum himself had foreshadowed since the BEGINNING of Baki the Grappler: Yujiro grows continuously stronger, quite fast actually, by the day, and that the Yujiro that anyone had fought in the past is an entirely different beast from what he is on the present.
  3. Doppo, Gouki and many others believed that Ali Jr. would beat Baki after having given him the incentive to do so. They were wrong, Baki easily beat Ali Jr. up.
  4. A lot of people say that Yujiro wouldn't use a character's techniques, as he feels that is disrespectful to them. Yujiro did say that during his fight with Kaku, but he is either lying or, what I find more likely, trolling. In fact, I honestly don't know how people read that and missed how, just a few chapters ago, Yujiro incentived Baki to copy an opponent's techniques and use them against themselves just to "piss them off", and how, on the VERY BEGINNING of Grappler Baki, he said the same to Baki. Heck, the entire Baki V.S. Jack fight showed both Baki and Jack using the techniques of other contestants to fight. What does happen is that Yujiro uses the techniques that he copied, but he usually prefers to resort to his own brand of pure violence and skill, only using them as a mere option among many of taking a specific technique or to just, as he so eloquently says, piss his enemies off.
And I can go on, and on, and on. One of the characters that gets the most things wrong about Yujiro is Strydum, who is the one that should know him best, aside from maybe Baki. You can see that particularly well when you read Baki with a careful eye.

Am I saying that we should always consider the characters untrustorthy? No. Far from it, many of them give valuable input, and they are correct many times as well. It is just that you should never, by a rule, use a character's statement for a basis on any argument. Which ties to my second point.

2. Exaggerations​

Baki characters exaggerate - a lot.

Now, I will be the first to say that there is often a kernel of truth on whatever they say, and often they have a good reason to believe so, but they often (quite realisticaly in fact) exaggerate the prowess of any given thing. Some examples to illustrate my point:
  • Doppo said, after Kasumi's introduction in Grappler Baki, that bullets and arrows wouldn't be able to do anything to him. No matter if you take that as a durability or speed feat, that isn't entirely true: As for durability, we have explicit evidence from characters who are stronger than he is in raw strength/durability, such as Hanayama, that were clearly perforated by bullets and affected by it. (Hanayama V.S. Spec 2) As a speed feat, not only was the Mach punch at the time, which was just a bit above the speed of sound in speed, treated as utterly undodgeable (in fact, in the profiles I've seen that people say of characters dodging the Mach punch, but I've never seen that before) and, heck, in general, characters in early NGB, who are considerably stronger than in Maximum Tournament, struggle to dodge bullets. However, there is a kernel of truth: Kasumi, due to a combination of sheer speed, durability and willpower, could likely tank a few bullets and arrows and reach whoever was trying to shoot him. That is consistent.
  • Baki states that Shinogi wasn't doing any damage to him, and that to really damage him, he needed to hit his vital points. That is an exaggeration; Baki was being bruised quite seriously by Shinogi's blows on his body, it is just that his sheer will, pain tolerance and stamina would allow him to keep being struck like that for a very long time with no problems at all. So, there's the kernel of truth: He probably wouldn't be KOed by him while he attacked the body, but he was clearly being bruised by Shinogi's blows.
  • A lot of times, characters say that they didn't take any damage from an attack... while bleeding profusely from the nose. From the top of my head, I remember Kaku saying that to Yujiro, or at least Retsu saying that of Kaku, after Yujiro landed an axe kick on him. That is an exaggeration, with a kernel of truth: Kaku bled from his nose. That is absolutely real damage. But it is true that it would be far, far worse and it is not even a significant injury for a Baki character at that level of fighting.
  • Oliva says that his muscles are impenetrable even by bullets, and that even bullets can't take him down. That is an exaggeration with a kernel of truth: Just watch Oliva's introduction. He was shot at point blank with a shotgun. He was clearly wounded by that, and the bullets dug into his muscles. It's just that they didn't go deep; but they did penetrate him. The exaggeration is saying that bullets can't affect him. The kernel of truth is that it really isn't an inconvenience for him, neither can the bullets pierce him deeply, nor is it hard for him to recover from that.
And I can go on and on. My point is that if a character is said to be able to do something, such as, say, tank a stab to the neck, what they are most likely to mean is that they can survive it, maybe do it without being seriously crippled, but given the record of such statements, it is fair to assume that the opponent would be able to stab into them and give a profuse bleeding. Neither character, nor narrator statements, are absolute: They are clues, but not an absolute statement about one's capacities.

3. Power Consistency​

This is a big one, so buckle up.

So, this is a concept that seems very simple to me, because I honestly analyse that kind of thing from a different perspective from a VS-centric POV, but I get why it is a problem to the VS community as a hard, specific rating is preferred in place of a plastic definition.

What I am going by this is that Baki simply isn't a consistent series. I know, shocking, most of fiction isn't, but Baki isn't in a very particular way that divides the base in basically two camps: People who take the highest shown feats that are not contradicted, with lower showings being either justified as narrative and plot devices, or sheer contradictions, and people who believe more on the lower, consistent ratings, with the higher ones being just Itagaki smoking crack not really realizing that the feats he is putting on the page are entirely different from the stuff characters usually do, with the odd one out that selects solely the absolute lowest showings and absolute highest showings and deride everyone else for it, but I digress.

What we need to do is to recognize that both kinds of rationales have their valid justifications, and that there is no way to cut it: Both kinds of feat happen, and we need to deal them.

This isn't about characters with Tier 7 feats doing mostly Tier 9 to 8 feats on their day-to-day life. That isn't a problem. Doing higher feats do not forbid you from doing lower ones, particularly if you have enough control over your own power to control the amount of damage you do to the environment. This is about Baki characters that on any given page may have different standards for power. A few examples to illustrate my point:
  • Arizona State Prison arc is FULL of this. The same Baki that was dodging bullets from rifles from multiple points at a distance and believed that he could probably dodge a few bullets in point blank range, and who fought Oliva at speeds too fast for anyone watching the scene to even see anything, was treated as doing a punch in 0,1 seconds (Chapter 70, Baki: Son of Ogre) as utterly impressive (that is slower than real life punches of people like Muhammad Ali) and capable of blitzing Oliva, and that Yujiro, Guevara or Oliva moving at more than 50 mph being astonishing. Oliva was going around, breaking down multiple walls, and from even Grappler Baki alone we had characters capable of taking out tanks and armiws by themselves (Gaia and the other super soldiers), but only three men in the USA were considered to be more dangerous than a machine gun: Yujiro, Oliva and Guevara (Chapter 26, Baki: Son of Ogre). Someone like Kaku could be justified as being considered a secret or simply not deemed dangerous enough, but someone like Gaia was absolutely known by the US.
  • Raitai is also full of this. The same Yujiro that caused a localized earthquake with a punch in the Raitai arena is the same that, with a full force kick, could only drive the glasses of Kaku into a wall. The same Kaku that was described as too weak to lift even chopsticks could hammer a nail through the hands of three men with a single palm chop.
  • Maximum Tournament: Yujiro was knocked out by a team of armed men firing at him with tranquilizer darts, and slowed down by people throwing a net with weights at him. Without even trying to scale him to later arcs, let's remember that, on that very same arc, Yujiro tore apart a few dozen centimeters thick steel reinforced door. Darts shouldn't be able to break the skin of someone like him.
  • Heck, even the Convicts Arc. Yanagi's Vacuum Palm could break a glass that was described as being utterly bulletproof and capable of tanking even a missle from a rocket launcher, and Baki could take it to his face and just be KOed by the oxygen deprivation. I... don't think I need to explain how that defies all other times in the manga that bullets can wound even people like Pickle (!) but he can tank an attack that obliterates bulletproof glass. Heck, Spec shoots through his own cheeks with a gun just to prove a point.
Again, I can go on. Baki is not only full of contradictions, but what is defined as strong, as fast, or as anything is prone to change all the time, particularly if you take different series from different time periods, such as Grappler Baki with Baki Dou. Heck, Son of Ogre is already quite different on their standards compared to Baki Dou.

I'll tackle the Yujiro/Nuke comparison later as I am bit busy at the moment, but this is a good start.

Very good thread, I agree in large part. I will add, though, that for point 3, when Papa Ali asks Baki why he went absolutely ham on Ali Jr, Baki responds that he had to go that hard on him from the get-go or risk getting folded by a mere handful of his punches.

Then in regards to speed and inconsistencies therein, I may have missed it, but I don't think you mentioned 0.5 second unconscious, and just how incongruous that it is with the higher levels of speed displayed in the series, especially the 0.5 seconds part, and the fact that it can on occasion somehow work against someone who can blitz the user, such as in Baki's first fight with Yujiro.

Very good thread, I agree in large part. I will add, though, that for point 3, when Papa Ali asks Baki why he went absolutely ham on Ali Jr, Baki responds that he had to go that hard on him from the get-go or risk getting folded by a mere handful of his punches.
Oh yeah, I remember that. In fact, people shit too much on Ali Jr., and once I do get a scaling revision in, he's getting upgraded. Jr. is incredibly strong, and is at least Doppo-tier in performance at that point of the series, probably even stronger. His weakness, as explained by Baki (and is fitting with what he has shown up to this point) is that he still isn't mentally ready for a true fight, which weakens him a lot when faced with a serious fight.

Which is true even in real life - from my experience in boxing and bujinkan, I can tell you that 80% of someone's strength comes from their confidence and trust on themselves. Without using me as an example, I've seen plenty of people that do well, way better than most when just hitting the pads or doing very light, technical sparring, but being utterly beat up by even kinds on a serious match, and people who do very well inside the ring, but are reduced to utterly incapable outside of it. Jr. is a fighter, but not a warrior - on any scenario that has clear rules and restrictions on both of them (heck, the restrictions could be even heavier on him than on his opponent), he is even stronger than someone like Doppo. On a free for all, however, he is far weaker.
Then in regards to speed and inconsistencies therein, I may have missed it, but I don't think you mentioned 0.5 second unconscious, and just how incongruous that it is with the higher levels of speed displayed in the series, especially the 0.5 seconds part, and the fact that it can on occasion somehow work against someone who can blitz the user, such as in Baki's first fight with Yujiro.
I thought about mentioning it, but really, I decided to limit the amount of examples, but that is definetly there too.

However I do want to say that all of the tier 9/8 feats are done extremely casually as well which is crazy to thing about. But these points are extremely well.
It depends on the feat, actually - it is hard to give ya a single example from memory alone, but Baki is really, really inconsistent on what is described as impressive or not. There absolutely are Tier 9 feats that are treated as much more impressive than some that are easily on the high 8 rangue, and that require way more effort from the characters.
Yeah, I get the idea - and I can understand what the author meant by the technique, as not exactly being about the 0,5 second timing, but rather that the body's electrical receptors don't need to send the signals for the characters' bodies to react to danger, (So, basically... somewhat like advanced IR) but at times it had been treated as a timing thing. Which is problematic, as a 0,5 pause between reactions or at least to start the initiative is far, far too slow for the speeds that Baki characters go at.
As someone who hasn't read too much of Baki, this was a very fun and interesting read.
Thanks!

• Baki states that Shinogi wasn't doing any damage to him, and that to really damage him, he needed to hit his vital points. That is an exaggeration; Baki was being bruised quite seriously by Shinogi's blows on his body, it is just that his sheer will, pain tolerance and stamina would allow him to keep being struck like that for a very long time with no problems at all. So, there's the kernel of truth: He probably wouldn't be KOed by him while he attacked the body, but he was clearly being bruised by Shinogi's blows.
Actually i have seen that the VSBW put Kureha in 9-B and Kosho in 9-A via this mention, Kureha was multiple times stated as stronger than Kosho and even in their fight Kureha shows pretty superior, so yeah, this is completely ridicolous.
Yanagi's Vacuum Palm could break a glass that was described as being utterly bulletproof and capable of tanking even a missle from a rocket launcher, and Baki could take it to his face and just be KOed by the oxygen deprivation.
This probably has an explanation, since to be a destructive technique Yanagi needs to charge vacuum in his hand and use it to put pressure in a specific point, he didn't try that with Baki's face.

Anyways i agree with everything, this thread should be saved for reddit ppl who wants 8-C Yujiro lol

Actually i have seen that the VSBW put Kureha in 9-B and Kosho in 9-A via this mention, Kureha was multiple times stated as stronger than Kosho and even in their fight Kureha shows pretty superior, so yeah, this is completely ridicolous.
Yeah, this one of the scaling things I need to take care of after clarifying just one more thing about Baki. Kureha is absolutely stronger than Kosho; even Yujiro considered him one tier above the other Maximum Tournament first round contestants. Iron Mike should be buffed as well, he dominated his entire fight with Shiba, and breaking the hands on someone's forehead is more of a feat of your own strength than of their durability or AP. Ali Jr. should be upgraded too, as well as Ali; in fact, the boxers of Retsu arc either need to be downgraded, or the earlier ones need to be upgraded.

The last thing I need to talk about Yujiro's comparison to nukes and quakes, which is the most controversial aspect of scaling in Baki, but it'll take a while to do because I need to upload all of the scans and study them carefully.
This probably has an explanation, since to be a destructive technique Yanagi needs to charge vacuum in his hand and use it to put pressure in a specific point, he didn't try that with Baki's face.
Even with minimal charge up, he could put a large hole on a very large brick wall. In fact, that happened moments after the scene in which he KOed Baki, sort of to show how potent it was.
Anyways i agree with everything, this thread should be saved for reddit ppl who wants 8-C Yujiro lol
Actually, this thread is for both people who think that Yujiro is Tier 9 to those that believe him on 7; While I do believe that Yujiro fits the best at tier 7-C/B, it isn't as consistent on either end as I've seen thrown around.

Baki characters subscribe to a sort of "plastic" durability and AP, as opposed to combat-centric verses that have mostly static AP and dura.

In Baki, it is incredibly common for characters that can survive attacks of much higher tiers still be significantly wounded by low tier 9 attacks, and for them almost arbitrarily struggle with way inferior feats. Heck, if you ask me for hard evidence right now, for 90% of the Baki characters, any tier that you choose have almost as many contradictions as there are feats supporting them. And Yujiro does have plenty of those. Mostly related to scaling, but in a few feats too. And that's even without considering the first Grappler Baki series, because that is the most contradictory one to Yujiro's standing in the rest of the series.

Great thread, I think you have proved what you wanted to say and I accept your words, but I had problems with a few parts

Yujiro, Guevara or Oliva moving at more than 50 mph being astonishing
Astonishing for whom? This speed is very fast for ordinary people, one may even be surprised at a lower speed than oneself, If I had the speed of lightning and realized that someone was moving faster than a bullet, I would still be surprised, because moving faster than bullets is also impressive and uncommon

Oliva was going around, breaking down multiple walls, and from even Grappler Baki alone we had characters capable of taking out tanks and armiws by themselves (Gaia and the other super soldiers), but only three men in the USA were considered to be more dangerous than a machine gun: Yujiro, Oliva and Guevara (Chapter 26, Baki: Son of Ogre). Someone like Kaku could be justified as being considered a secret or simply not deemed dangerous enough, but someone like Gaia was absolutely known by the US.
Regarding this part, I have to say that in the story, it was said that no one in the army was able to see Gaia and the other super soldiers or hear anything from them, so in fact, they destroyed the army through stealthing and likely bombs, mines and rockets, so maybe the reason Gaia is not on the list is that he will pursue his goals with stealth techniques, but people like Yujiro will defeat machine gun directly and in a more conventional way, Yujiro is the one who will dodge or tank machine gun bullets directly and then kills user, but Gaia will kill machine gun user from behind

Also I will not say that Gaia is really a well-known person, because Strydum did not know him and Strydum is a US army general, even an veteran who knew more about Gaia was misinformed about him and thought that atomic bomb can not kill Gaia, so my interpretation was that the US military had very poor information about Gaia

Maximum Tournament: Yujiro was knocked out by a team of armed men firing at him with tranquilizer darts, and slowed down by people throwing a net with weights at him. Without even trying to scale him to later arcs, let's remember that, on that very same arc, Yujiro tore apart a few dozen centimeters thick steel reinforced door. Darts shouldn't be able to break the skin of someone like him.
We do not know the power or type of bullets used on the Yujiro, they were highly prepared to stop Yujiro and used so much doses of anaesthetic that it could anesthetize a blue whale, so why should we think that the structure and damage of the bullet was normal? when even ordinary arena walls had concrete reinforced steel

I mean, if the level of doses of anaesthetic was abnormal and even the structure of the arena was abnormal, why should we think that the bullet power that was supposed to hurt Yujiro was normal?

Last edited:
Even with minimal charge up, he could put a large hole on a very large brick wall. In fact, that happened moments after the scene in which he KOed Baki, sort of to show how potent it was.
This is not a problem, we can say that: Since Baki face is not uniformly flat, charging vacuum on his mouth is harder and for that the pottency is far lower, which is consistent with real life where you can only make this kind of stuff with uniform spherical shapes.

Great thread and I agree with your main 3 points. Some of the sub points are a bit off but that’s not really a big deal to me.

We all need to be aware of these points with any future Baki crt’s. Baki is a very unique verse in regards to just about everything and this thread gets that point across perfectly.

I have a question, were these feats calculated?

1, 2, 3, 4
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
I calculated both but didn't make a post about it (And since NotoriuSoda said he's gonna do it i think i will just wait), if my calcs are correct the first one is baseline Building level and the second one is Large Building.

What is the second one even supposed to be lol, is he setting the walls on fire with a punch?

Is only being FTL at Tier 0 even possible under our standards? If so Baki getting shoved in a locker by all the other Tier 0s 😭😭😭
Still solos all other verses that aren’t tier 0💪

Also gonna say for the next CRT I don’t wanna here shit from y’all who don’t read the manga. You can comment(obviously) but please at least admit that your knowledge on this series isn’t great

Still solos all other verses that aren’t tier 0💪

Also gonna say for the next CRT I don’t wanna here shit from y’all who don’t read the manga. You can comment(obviously) but please at least admit that your knowledge on this series isn’t great
With that actitude i expect some bullshit crazy like tier 6 baki or MHS

With that actitude i expect some bullshit crazy like tier 6 baki or MHS
Nah man

There’s gonna be so good ass upgrades it’s nothing crazy. It’s literally just people think they know about Baki yet don’t know shit about the verse. Like the guy who went from 7-C to make Yujiro 9-A. Shit like that is what I don’t want to deal with💀

Nah man

There’s gonna be so good ass upgrades it’s nothing crazy. It’s literally just people think they know about Baki yet don’t know shit about the verse. Like the guy who went from 7-C to make Yujiro 9-A. Shit like that is what I don’t want to deal with💀
I honestly believe most people haven't even read the manga

There’s actually a surprising number of people who think Yujiro is 9-A or 8-C. Kinda funny seeing their poor attempts at debunking the multitude of feats above that level.
Doesn't agree with my opinion = outlier
ooga booga

This seems to make sense to me. What do you suggest should be done here then?

Okay. My mistake then. I checked for the Grappler Baki tag in order to find another thread, and noticed this one in the process.

What do we currently need to do here?

Back