• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"Knockback increase" upgrades in video games?

On my journey to bring the best video game series 🤓 to the wiki, I've discovered something that I'm not sure if I should list as an ability or not, and it's an uncommon ability in some games that aren't related to this one.

Basically, there's a blacksmithing mechanic in the game, where you can upgrade your weapons to deal more damage, or deal fire damage, and all that jazz, but there's also another ability you can apply to your weapon where it deals more knockback. So in the game you can have a weapon that deals little to no damage but deals ridiculous knockback, and vice-versa, or you can have a weapon that does absurd amounts of both damage and knockback. They increase the knockback of their weapon by giving it a specific type of life-force to it, so it's not like they built a massive weapon that they swing with ease, it's just the same weapon but made so it can send an opponent flying further. I want to know if this can be classified as some sort of ability, or if I should leave it as game mechanics.

This is interesting. There are some cases where some fiction separates knockback from like, power, force, or damage or such. It can be very nebulous which is doing which, though.
As I understand it, knockback is just physics, albeit, applied very loosely; Subject something to enough force, & it can be launched away... or blown to bits. I forget why exactly that happens, especially for things durable enough to survive it.

If knockback were an ability, I'd assume it'd be a subpower of physics manipulation, because it's just applying physics to move something away. Otherwise, it might be something like limited telekinesis or air manipulation??

Anyone else wanna weigh in here, please?

Lifting strength feat.

Although since its a specific game ability and less about strength. Limited vector manip sounds fine as bobsican said.

Back