• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Knights of Cerebus

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
TvTropes defines Knights of Cerebus in the following manner:

"In order to add more drama to a series which has been, up until that moment, lighthearted and comedic in nature, a villain (or antagonist of some sort) is introduced and is portrayed as a genuine threat, in contrast to the bumbling and comedic villains the heroes have faced before.

This villain's arrival is usually heralded by a sudden downturn in humor, to show the audience this guy means business. In other words, a catalyst for a drastic change in mood toward the dark and dramatic."

However, the category here seems to have swelled beyond what the term really means.

In some of the cases, the series or setting in question is not particularly harmless and lighthearted, and in others, the villain does not appear vile and dangerous enough, but in yet others, the definition is muddled to say the least. For example, the post-Crisis DC Universe may not have been consistently comedic and lighthearted, but it was certainly far less grimdark than currently, and Darkseid stood out as a particularly vile and serious threat.

Basically, what I am asking is that you help me to define which characters in the category should be kept, and which should be removed, or if I should remove the category entirely, given that it is frequently hard to define where to draw the line?

To be honest I didn't really understand why this category was even needed. So yeah I think that it's better to remove it.

Many of the shonen villains should be removed, for example, while Yhwach was portraid as a vile villain, bleach as a series already had Aizen before him, and even before him bleach wasn't lighthearted, same with obito and madara, maybe blackbeared still fits, though i never got that truly vile feel from him...

Fairy Tail has had several serious arcs before Acnologia, including with the Dark Guild that they fought right before.

Okay. I have tried to clean this category up a bit. Please inform me if there are any remaining characters within it that should be removed.

After a repeatedly warned poster continued to add inappropriate entries, I opted to remove the category altogether.

Back