• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Jack's Powers and Abilities Revision (BioShock)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys"

After replaying through BioShock again i've decided to somewhat revise the profile of the main character from the game, Jack.

Now i didn't revise the entire profile since i don't see the need in that, everything regarding things like stats, intelligence and notable attacks/techniques are perfectly find how they are. The only problem Jack's profile currently has is his awful Powers and Abilities section, this thread is going to rectify this problem.

As you can see in the blog i've linked, i completely revised his P&A's section, adding scans for all of his abilities, added new abilities/resistances and references. Basically making his P&A's section a thousand times better then what he currently has.

So after that rambling, let's get onto the voting.

Agree -

Disagree -

Neutral -

Alright so, I played the game a few months back, may be a bit fuzzy on some of it so forgive me if I get stuff wrong. Good work overall, though!
  • I don't think referencing Bioshock 89 times is necessary, you can just remove that and write something like "All evidence comes from BioShock (2007)"
  • There's some minor typos here and there, not too big of a deal so I'm not gonna be pointing them out
  • I don't think you're supposed to bold commas, "and" or "limited" in the bolded P&A format, just the P&A names themselves
  • We don't give Bodily Weaponry to people just for having normal teeth, if they're particularly sharp or something sure
  • I don't really think Cyclone Trap qualifies for Instinctive Action, just because it's an automatic effect in game
  • Why is Enrage durability negation?
  • I think given Target Dummy's clone is not tangible Illusion Manipulation is better than Duplication
  • I dunno about Liquid Nitrogen (and the wrench) counting as sealing, I think just Ice Manip covers it
  • I think Hacker's Delight counts as just absorbing the electricity, not transmuting it into something else
  • You can probably also list Natural Camouflage as "Camouflage" as well as limited Invisibility
  • Scrounger, idk about Probability Manipulation, I think the rerolling is already explained as Jack just finding more stuff (and becoming unable to get the previous stuff because videogame)
  • I think you can count Security Evasion as temperature manip too
  • Why does Jack scale above the Splicers in mind manip resistance?

Alright so, I played the game a few months back, may be a bit fuzzy on some of it so forgive me if I get stuff wrong. Good work overall, though!
  • I don't think referencing Bioshock 89 times is necessary, you can just remove that and write something like "All evidence comes from BioShock (2007)"
  • There's some minor typos here and there, not too big of a deal so I'm not gonna be pointing them out
  • I don't think you're supposed to bold commas, "and" or "limited" in the bolded P&A format, just the P&A names themselves
  • We don't give Bodily Weaponry to people just for having normal teeth, if they're particularly sharp or something sure
  • I don't really think Cyclone Trap qualifies for Instinctive Action, just because it's an automatic effect in game
  • I think given Target Dummy's clone is not tangible Illusion Manipulation is better than Duplication
  • I dunno about Liquid Nitrogen (and the wrench) counting as sealing, I think just Ice Manip covers it
  • I think Hacker's Delight counts as just absorbing the electricity, not transmuting it into something else
  • You can probably also list Natural Camouflage as "Camouflage" as well as limited Invisibility
  • Scrounger, idk about Probability Manipulation, I think the rerolling is already explained as Jack just finding more stuff (and becoming unable to get the previous stuff because videogame)
Pretty much agree with what ArmorChompy is asking.

I was going through my unfinished threads and realized I completely forgot about this one. @Armorchompy I'll respond to your points when I get the chance.

• It was more so a personal, visual choice for me rather than something I thought was necessary. I can understand people disliking how it looks but personally I like it. I don't believe there's anything forcing me to switch it up rule wise (could be wrong) so I'm still going to keep it how it is until I get told I can't.

• I should have cleared up most of the egregious mistakes but I could have missed some, I'll go through the blog again later and fix up anything I see.

• I was vastly less experienced in source editing and general formatting then, so I made some beginner mistakes like that. They've been removed and correctly formatted now.

• I agree, I believe I have already removed that but if I haven't I'll remove it later.

• I would argue it's applicable under Instinctive Action, specifically for the "like automatic magic that triggers on its own" example provided. It explains the ability is simply "the ability to act without the need for conscious thought", which is what Cyclone Trap does. It's similar to how something like a landmine would act. If we wouldn't consider a landmine as having Instinctive Action then I'm fine with removing it from the profile.

• I switched Illusion Manipulation out with Duplication

• I've seen other characters who have Sealing for similar reasons, so that's why I added it to his profile. I don't see anything on the actual Sealing page disagreeing with this so 🤷‍♂️

• I could see that interpretation, It's just the usage of "convert" that swayed me towards the Transmutation angle. Would it be better to just downgrade the rating to something like a "possibly" or maybe something like "Transmutation or Absorption" and explain why it's either this or that?

• I agree with you, especially since the actual flavor text given by the game just implies a heightened sense of discovery rather than you literally manipulating the probability of getting a new item or sumshit like that. I'll remove it from the blog later.

• Alright, I'll add that later as well.

• I believe it should probably be downgraded to a "likely" or "possibly" rating since the argument is more abductively proven rather than deductively proven. My argument for him scaling above those Brute Splicers is because of his higher total and actual usage of Adam compared to them; the logical explanation behind why they're capable of resisting the Level 1 usage of Hypnotize in BioShock 2 is most likely because they've consumed more Adam and such are more resistant towards abilities which are gained through Adam, such as Hypnotize. I believe the fact that the opponents with the most amount of Adam usage are generally the strongest and most resilient in game, be it the Brute Splicers, Big Daddies or Big Sisters. I believe this is supportive of this theory since Adam directly alters the genetic code of the user, which would explain why more Adam riddled opponents are capable of resisting Level 1 Hypnotize as it's weaker and less advanced ability compared to more Adam intensive abilities like Level 2 and 3 Hypnotize.

It was more so a personal, visual choice for me rather than something I thought was necessary. I can understand people disliking how it looks but personally I like it. I don't believe there's anything forcing me to switch it up rule wise (could be wrong) so I'm still going to keep it how it is until I get told I can't.
References are supposed to help people determine what part of the work the feat is from, for the sake of giving extra context if needed and to replace the scans if whatever they're being sourced from doesn't go down. While I agree they look nice they're not an aesthetic choice.

Also BioShock is a linear enough game that you could do proper referencing.
I would argue it's applicable under Instinctive Action, specifically for the "like automatic magic that triggers on its own" example provided. It explains the ability is simply "the ability to act without the need for conscious thought", which is what Cyclone Trap does. It's similar to how something like a landmine would act. If we wouldn't consider a landmine as having Instinctive Action then I'm fine with removing it from the profile.
I don't think we do that, no. Basically all mechanisms of this kind trigger when sprung by an external input, it's not different from a gun firing when the trigger is pulled or something.
I've seen other characters who have Sealing for similar reasons, so that's why I added it to his profile. I don't see anything on the actual Sealing page disagreeing with this so 🤷‍♂️
There's a lot of bad profiles on this website but even then I've never seen that myself, no. It's just ice manip, by this logic putting a big heavy rock on someone is Sealing.
I could see that interpretation, It's just the usage of "convert" that swayed me towards the Transmutation angle. Would it be better to just downgrade the rating to something like a "possibly" or maybe something like "Transmutation or Absorption" and explain why it's either this or that?
I mean it's just textbook absorption, it could technically count as transmutation in the same way that fire manipulation is energy projection but like, it's absorption.
I believe it should probably be downgraded to a "likely" or "possibly" rating since the argument is more abductively proven rather than deductively proven. My argument for him scaling above those Brute Splicers is because of his higher total and actual usage of Adam compared to them; the logical explanation behind why they're capable of resisting the Level 1 usage of Hypnotize in BioShock 2 is most likely because they've consumed more Adam and such are more resistant towards abilities which are gained through Adam, such as Hypnotize. I believe the fact that the opponents with the most amount of Adam usage are generally the strongest and most resilient in game, be it the Brute Splicers, Big Daddies or Big Sisters. I believe this is supportive of this theory since Adam directly alters the genetic code of the user, which would explain why more Adam riddled opponents are capable of resisting Level 1 Hypnotize as it's weaker and less advanced ability compared to more Adam intensive abilities like Level 2 and 3 Hypnotize.
I suppose that's fine.

Last edited:
References are supposed to help people determine what part of the work the feat is from, for the sake of giving extra context if needed and to replace the scans if whatever they're being sourced from doesn't go down. While I agree they look nice they're not an aesthetic choice.

Also BioShock is a linear enough game that you could do proper referencing.
I don't agree with you here, but I don't want us to delve into the semantics of our rules and terms like "proper" and shit. So I'm fine with changing up the references.

I don't think we do that, no. Basically all mechanisms of this kind trigger when sprung by an external input, it's not different from a gun firing when the trigger is pulled or something.
I'm not entirely sure I agree with this or not, but I'm fine with removing for brevity sake.

There's a lot of bad profiles on this website but even then I've never seen that myself, no. It's just ice manip, by this logic putting a big heavy rock on someone is Sealing.
I don't like the presumption that the profiles I'm referencing are "bad" or "out-of-date". The profiles I have seen are generally well done and current with our standards, explanation-wise. Regardless of this, I'm fine with removing it for brevity sake.

I mean it's just textbook absorption, it could technically count as transmutation in the same way that fire manipulation is energy projection but like, it's absorption.
Sure, I'll change it up later.

I suppose that's fine.
Alright.

Read everything, and this should be good to go when all the changes that were agreed upon are implemented in the sandbox. But, yeah, great job all in all. It's definitely a massive improvement over the current profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back