• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Assalt

Yes, indeed. It's what I've been saying as well. I didn't express myself well, sorry =P

What I was trying to say is that we can't assume the explosion, in the japanese version, began where the sun would be located because the american animation shows that (given they are different attack animations altogether and all). While not pinpointed due to the faraway shot, it could be right where Sephiroth is (and would make sense).

@Matt: Given how overblow FF can be, oh yeah. And it will look awesome!

I took a look at the Japanese version of Nova, and not only is the epicenter unclear, it's also unclear if he really did it himself.

He could've teleported the party to a world where the sun went supernova on it's own, WITHOUT aid from a comet. Stars explode on their own all the time

This is the vid I watched, sorry for the quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWcFUQ0THJ0

EDIT: I also just read that the International version of FF7 uses the longer version of Nova, and the IV is exclusive to Japan. So it's possible that the original Nova was retconned in the IV

@Jake

He teleported to a star that was going supernova that just happened to have an iron core planet that looks like Venus and a gas giant that has Jupiter's iconic planet-sized red storm? I think that is quite a bit of a stretch, don't you?

@Jake:

Issue is, there are several issues with that idea: how can he guess where there will be a Supernova in the right moment? Seph doesn't have any sort of psychic power to scan the universe; why would he transport the party faraway from the explosion when he could put them right in it?; and the attack begins with a close up of him before showing the faraway explosion, there aren't any stars, just planets and space, you can see the explosion begins in a black area, not in a star. It actually comes as less likely to think the factors just happened to be there.

@Assaltwaffle

I probably didn't word it right. It's possible he teleported the party to an alternate version of our solar system at the precise moment the sun exploded. Hey, Seph has dimension warping powers, anything is possible

@Jake

Our Sun isn't going to Supernova. It isn't the kind of star that can do that. Also is it really more likely that Seph can peer into the future, find the exact moment that a scientifically impossible event will occur, and then go to that time, just to hit them with the blast?

Is that really that much more believable than him just being SS level? Honestly being able to jump to any point in history or the future instantly would actually be stupid broken. Just bring someone to the Big Bang or the Big Rip/Heat Death/Other end of the universe. Enemy gone.

Kinda what I said, Sephy doesn't have any sort of precognition or psychic abilities to observe the universe like that, much less alternate dimensions. He also doesn't have any dimension warping powers beyond dragging enemies for the Supernova itself, giving him the ability to pinpoint specific space time and travel or warp others there would be giving him an ability he doesn't have, wouldn't it?

And as Assalt said, our Sun can't go Supernova (not enough mass), it will turn into a red giant.

Also, as I said in my previous post, if you look closely at the video, you'll see that there aren't any stars when the explosion occurs, just some planets, it actually starts in empty space. Stars show up when the explosion is almost done.

@TartaChocolate

In order for anyone with dimension hopping powers to use them effectively, wouldn't they need to be able to "see" into alternate dimensions, so as not to accidentally warp into the sun's core, an active volcano, etc?

@Jake

Most people who can jump between universes just end up in the exact same location, or a random one. I can't think of many that pre-plan their destination, and Seph has not shown to be able to do this. The rationalization bridge has to keep getting longer for "Seph is not SS level" to work.

@Jake:

Not necessarily. It would be ideal, but characters have traveled dimensions without knowing where they end up. And there's a rather big difference between seeing where you'll be ending up right away and scanning the universe for this particular phenomena. It also clashes with his objectives in advent children where he outright says to Cloud he plans to use the planet as a vessel to search for a suitable one. Why would he need any of that if he could just search the universe and teleport there?

And as I've insisted, in the video, there aren't any stars where the explosion occurs, just a black void.

The only thing that needs to be adjusted is the calculation of the japanese attack, as it originated from earth not the sun, it's still megafoe 4-B regardless and the calc uses the whole surface area of jupiter rather than the cross sectional area which is the standard meaning the result is higher than what's initially estimated.

@TartaChocolate

Because that's not really Sephiroth's plan, but Jenova's. Jenova IS a parasite that feeds off of a planet's life energy, after all.. There is debate over whether Seph's actions were his own in FF7

mere speculations on whether Sephiroth was the mastermind or not doesn't change the fact that this feat is legit.

@DB Fan

You're making baseless assumptions to insert a possibility that isn't there.

Sephiroth calculates the force required to set off the Supernova and does it.

Even if his base form does this in Dissidia.

Just stop, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back