• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is overcoming a Time Stop through speed a quantifiable speed feat?

I've heard that it sometimes depends on the context from a few staff on more than one occasion, like how it's treated in-verse apparently

How is it time resistance if it’s just through pure speed? Resistance are abilities, not stats like speed.

Depends on case-by-case I guess.

Although, I do recall it being quantifiable for infinite speed back then. Not sure if the standards changed or not. Although IMHO if it was done by speed alone, then that seems infinite speed to me.

Infinite speed cannot be given to characters who can move within stopped time, as infinite speed characters still need time to pull stuff off; everything just happens within infinitesimal time. Infinite speed characters will be perceived as completely stopped by immeasurable speed characters, but immeasurable is a rating given to those who's movements are beyond linear time. So, moving in stopped time isn't infinite speed, because not even infinite speed characters can move within it. Neither is it immeasurable speed, because said characters are still bound by time. So, it would be inaccessible speed, or something like that

Infinity*zero=undefined
Therefore, it can not be concluded that moving while the time factor is zero is infinite speed.
When math becomes undefined, it is almost always because hax or resistance to hax is involved, and so we assume resistance to time-stop.

I'm not sure if resisting time stop through sheer speed is calculatable.

Not at all quantifiable, since I'm pretty sure both fully stopping and moving within stopped time are utterly impossible (at least for any character with mass) within our understanding of physics. It can however be judged by qualities. In that regard, it would be Infinite speed, since a basic qualifier for such a rating is the ability to move in a T = 0 context, such as moving some amount of distance in a timeframe that is precisely 0 seconds, 0 milliseconds, etc. etc. down to the attosecond, Planck time, what have you, moving in a timeless void (and not having it labelled an outlier, plot convenience, etc.), or, in this case, moving in stopped time without use of hax resistances

Not at all quantifiable, since I'm pretty sure both fully stopping and moving within stopped time are utterly impossible (at least for any character with mass) within our understanding of physics. It can however be judged by qualities. In that regard, it would be Infinite speed, since a basic qualifier for such a rating is the ability to move in a T = 0 context, such as moving some amount of distance in a timeframe that is precisely 0 seconds, 0 milliseconds, etc. etc. down to the attosecond, Planck time, what have you, moving in a timeless void (and not having it labelled an outlier, plot convenience, etc.), or, in this case, moving in stopped time without use of hax resistances
No.
Speed is distance over time. Anything over zero is undefined, NOT infinity.

It would be a immunity (outside of bypassing), so they would need to be totally unaffcted by it, moving around normally like a walk on the beach.

No it ain’t Yuri, we agreed it can be a speed feat if treated that way.
Do you have a link ? Last time I saw standard get changed, Time Stop didn't count as speed feat.

Except if ofc there's a huge precision like "if you go FTL you bypass it", but that's exceptionnal stuff.

If there's no time-resistance shenanigans and it really is through just speed, and it's actually a move that stops time, it would be infinite via moving in 0 time.

If you move so fast that time doesn't even pass, that's infinite speed at least
S=D/T
So, T=D/S, Any number divided by infinity = 0, so if speed is infinite then time is zero.
However in the other direction, any number divided by zero is undefined, so if time is zero then speed is undefined.

If you have infinite speed, you are correct that time might not pass while you move, however it cannot be proven the other way around.
The only way to mathematically prove infinite speed is with infinite distance, not zero time.

Infinite speed is literally gained through infinite distance divided by infinitesimal time, meaning the time still has to be there for Infinite Speed characters to even move at all

Or an instantaneous action, no? An action that happens in 0 time would could as infinite.

"Infinite Speed (Able to travel anywhere instantly, or move an infinite distance within a finite amount of time. Teleportation does not count. For further information, see notes 4, 5 and 7 below.)".

Movement in 0 time via speed is infinite speed

Or an instantaneous action, no? An action that happens in 0 time would could as infinite.

"Infinite Speed (Able to travel anywhere instantly, or move an infinite distance within a finite amount of time. Teleportation does not count. For further information, see notes 4, 5 and 7 below.)".

Movement in 0 time via speed is infinite speed
You know what infinitesimal is right? It's the closest value to 0, but not actually 0. Infinite is this idea of endlessness. Infinite speed being given due to moving in absolutely 0 time would go against what infinity is in the first place

I don't see why that's relevant? It's not a "time stop" if there's still even a miniscule portion of time, It's just an extreme time slow. I'm referring to specifically a "time stop".

I don't see why that's relevant? It's not a "time stop" if there's still even a miniscule portion of time, It's just an extreme time slow. I'm referring to specifically a "time stop".
Officially stated on the page "Speed" of the VS Battle wiki: "Note 4:

Timeless Voids, i.e. areas within a setting that lack time or exist outside of the flow of time, cannot be used to grant Infinite speed. One might be tempted to apply Speed = Distance/Time and say that time equals 0 in this situation, thus moving through this type of void should result in Infinite speed. However, in a Timeless Void, time does not exist, making Time = Not Applicable.

So in short, Time = Nonexistent or Not Applicable and Distance/Time = Undefined and cannot be determined under these conditions."

To say that moving while time is stopped is infinite speed, is to say that a number divided by zero is infinity, which is literally not true.

...it's 0 time, though. If it stops time, then the time = 0.

It doesn't matter if it "functions the same", time just not existing and time "functionally not existing" are not the same thing.

To say that moving while time is stopped is infinite speed, is to say that a number divided by zero is infinity, which is literally not true.
It's an instantaneous movement, which qualifies for infinite in our standards.

...it's 0 time, though. If it stops time, then the time = 0.

It doesn't matter if it "functions the same", time just not existing and time "functionally not existing" are not the same thing.

It's an instantaneous movement, which qualifies for infinite in our standards.
Also stated per the "Speed" page of VS Battles Wiki: "Note 5:

Time Stop does not grant a user infinite speed"

"a user" I'm not talking about the user. I'm talking about someone who's affected by the time stop. Please, do not misconstrue my argument.

"a user" I'm not talking about the user. I'm talking about someone who's affected by the time stop. Please, do not misconstrue my argument.
Even infinite speed characters who are affected by time stop can't move at all. Infinite speed characters are still bound by time, and thus will still need time to pull anything off

Let's entertain your argument, and say their speed is infinite.
How then could they move at all?
Distance is speed times time.
If speed is infinite, and time is zero, then ∞*0 = undefined.
Do you see where the problem lays in your assumption?

S=D/T
So, T=D/S, Any number divided by infinity = 0, so if speed is infinite then time is zero.
However in the other direction, any number divided by zero is undefined, so if time is zero then speed is undefined.

If you have infinite speed, you are correct that time might not pass while you move, however it cannot be proven the other way around.
The only way to mathematically prove infinite speed is with infinite distance, not zero time.
Because thats inaccessible speed actually. Just not on this wiki

An instantaneous movement literally qualifies on the speed page. If you disagree with movement in 0 time which would be instantaneous being infinite, you can revise Speed.

Even infinite speed characters who are affected by time stop can't move at all. Infinite speed characters are still bound by time, and thus will still need time to pull anything off
^ Is not a 100% confirmed fact

Back