• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Introduction to Calculations for Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assaltwaffle

VS Battles
Retired
Over the weeks and months I have noticed many users wish to delve into learning how to perform calculations, yet not knowing where to start or feeling overwhelmed at the information and confused at the scattered-ness of the calculation pages.

Here several users and I have talked about and looked over a possible composite page for a very in-depth yet appealing and user-friendly guide and reference page for the commonly used formulas and calculation options. This is what it looks like so far.

We currently have three separate calculation pages (I am actually wrong, we have more than three that I didn't know existed), and while they are all valuable assets, if you did not know what to look for, you may find only one. In addition, Calculation Guide is very outdated. It does not have our updated method of angsizing, and just generally smells of "old wiki". The link to the actual Calculations page is a tiny footnote, and the link to Calc Stacking, Explosion Yield Calculations, and more are missing entirely. For a guide it is lack-luster.

So I propose a page that is more encompassing and, as stated above, user-friendly. We need a better calculation page for any aspiring calcers to easily utilize and jump into. I would put this isn't Staff or Calc Discussions, but I really want to encourage normal users to speak here, as well as staff. Let me know what yall think!

That's an excellent idea, Waffle. When I came here two years ago, I felt as if the Calculation Guide never really helped me out, like, it had a little bit of information, but overall, didn't help at all. So I'm in full agreement that we completely remake it, into something more on the lines that you're talking about.

You already know my opinion, so I will go personal story.

I am a biochemistry major, and I like to think I am decent at math. Not the greatest, but good enough to do some basic calculations.

And the pages are just.. clunky.

I read through Assaltwaffles blog, and to boost his ego just a tiny bit, I learned way more from the blog then I have from both the calculation guide and calculations page.

Combined.

Sure, I might be hyperbolic, but too put it simply.

I think this is an issue we should focus on more, teaching people how to calc and not look for more experienced members.

Assaltwaffle has a life guys.

Darkanine has a life.

I HAVE a life.

I support this obviously for other reasons detailed earlier so woo hoo.

I agree and this is something that current calc group members like us can use, as well as anyone else who wants to recreationally perform calcs, or wants to join the calc group.

Oh and umr has a life.

I cant tell you how many times I spammed the calc request page, he answered before I started how to learn the basics of the scariest language on earth: Math.

In all seriousness, I think we should also consider just replacing those pages with this blog once done since it will likely be more concise and it is a step by step process basically.

Like a textbook, except for people who want to find out how strong/fast someone is.

I could have used this when I was trying to calculate the dang labrador. And I bet I can still use this as I want to try and calculate other characters. Approved.

On a side note, there should be blogs for values and such, I have a blog made that has a bunch of values for fragmentation, pulverizaing, melting, vaporization, atomizaton and freezing of water, of various materials, it helps so I don't need.to hunt down stuff like that. There should be a blog or page with a list of all that stuff and more for people to have access to so no searching through 50 Google pages.

Huh so there is, missing some values I've found But has a lot of other stuff.

Now if only the formula or multiplier for kinetic energy under water was there ovo.

Thanks for the support guys! What would you like to be added to my sandbox? Possibly more obscure formulas like rotational speed? More detail on mid-level calcs like angsizing and the like? I want this to be the best it can be if this is going to become a frequently visited resource.

I read through your sandbox (sorry it took so long, days been flying by) and it's great. A lot more informative then the official page (which at best has been a reference sheet for me when I forget values). Very easy to follow while still providing good information. A resource I would like to recommend is watchframebyframe, which I use to get almost exact timeframes for YouTube videos.

As for stuff to be added, here's some ideas:

• A list of common units of measurement and how they convert into each other (mph to m/s, tons to kg, g/cm^3 to kg/m^3, etc)
  • Latent Heat and how it works (I still have trouble following it since our section on it is so bare bones)
  • Mass-Energy Conversion and when to use it.

I don't want to sound like a humorless grandpa, but I would prefer that the thread doesn't get derailed with memes. At least not this early...

Assaltwaffle said:
I don't want to sound like a humorless grandpa, but I would prefer that the thread doesn't get derailed with memes. At least not this early...
yeah ok xD just cant help it

@Dark

I'll add watchframebyframe and the stuff you just recommended to it. Also, do we really need conversions? I just use Google's converter lol.

Assaltwaffle said:
@Dark
I'll add watchframebyframe and the stuff you just recommended to it. Also, do we really need conversions? I just use Google's converter lol.
Is it bad I do conversions by hand.

I just want to do all the steps so I know for sure I dont miss anything and at least I use my 'accurate' results.

But a conversion link in your blog seems like a good idea.

I think its an awesome Idea! I myself have noticed the current calculation pages aren't very informative, which has been a bit of an issue for me since I am still trying to learn how to perform calcs.

This seems like a good idea, as long as we do not delete the older pages, and keep this as a complement.

Maybe DontTalk is willing to help out? I will ask him.

I wasn't planning on deleting them. In fact, I have all of them linked in my current version. That said the Calculation Guide page will need to be updated with the extra step we are currently using while angsizing.

Antvasima said:
Okay. That seems fine then.
Can we consider posting this information blog tab when complete Ant or would that not work since it is not a blog post?

When grouped together, the three pages combined would be more then enough to do like, 80-90 percent of requests on here.

It can be a blog post or a normal page. I can simply copy everything with source editor and post it wherever it is needed, bolds, links, and all.

When the introductory calculation guide blog has been finished, the contents can be posted as a regular page, yes, but it is best to wait for DontTalk's input first.

Also, I have previously posted links to all of the calculation guide pages in the front page and the wiki navigation bar, so they should be easy to find.

Assaltwaffle said:
@Dark

I use their converter too. I ca convert by memory at this point, but that takes to long and their converter is just quicker. Convertanyunit is good too.

Yeah, I'm going to add some more links and resources tomorrow. Time for bed, though. I have a Psych test (for college, not for my mental health) tomorrow so I need to rest up.

I think you can just use the airburst radius formula instead of telling them to go to the Stardestroyer.net calculator and repeatedly change the megaton yield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back