• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Call Beyond Calc Conflict

Epyriel

He/Him
Multiple calculations have been done for the AP of the Bloodborne item A Call Beyond. I have opened this thread to host discussion on which one should be used as per the editing rules.

Old Calculation: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:ThePerpetual/Bloodborne:_A_Call_Beyond

Currently Used Calculation: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:WeeklyBattles/Bloodborne:_Recalc_of_A_Call_Beyond

New Calculation: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Epyriel/Bloodborne_-_New_Recalc_of_A_Call_Beyond

I believed a new recalculation was needed due to 3 major flaws in the currently accepted calculation:

1) Inaccurate Volume Assumption:

The current calculation assumes the item summons a star literally in between the hands of the user. This is likely inaccurate as the source of the star is from another plane of reality, and the Japanese translation (as pointed out in the old calc’s comments) seems to specify it is the explosion of a small star, not a small star itself, summoned by the item. The star itself is likely to rest within the ‘lofty plane of darkness’ and not between the user’s hands, with only its explosion being pulled through the item. This is reinforced by the fact a star so small to fit within the user’s hands would instantly collapse into a black hole as determined in the new calc.

2) Dubious Temperature Assumption:

The current calculation assumes the star’s temperature as being uniformly equivalent to the core temperature of the Sun. This is exceedingly implausible, as star temperatures can vary massively, and (ignoring black hole physics) one compressed to fit within the user’s hands would be far hotter than the Sun’s core, and a small star located in the other plane would likely be a red dwarf (by the ‘small’ designation of the item’s description) which would have a temperature far lesser than Sun’s core and distributed extremely unevenly between the core and the surface.

3) Dubious Explosion Modelling:

The current calculation uses the Stefan-Boltzmann Law to calculate the star’s energy release by assuming the explosion can be modelled as a 1 second long emission of blackbody radiation. This seems questionable as the visual depiction of the star’s explosion seems to show a scattering of the star’s mass rather than a sudden flash of radiative emission. Nor does it last a second.

The new calculation fixes the above issues by using Gravitational Binding Energy to determine the minimum edge and likely case of what constitutes a ‘small star’ located in a different plane only whose explosion is brought forth by A Call Beyond. Therefore I propose the new recalculation should be used in place of the current one.

As I said before, I agree with points #2 and #3, but I'll stay on the fence about point #1 for now until some calc group members can give more input.

Back