• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Intangibility Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sera_EX

She Who Dabbles in Fiction
VS Battles
Retired
Hello lovely VSBW community. I realized we don't have types of intangibility like we do for immortality and Regenerationn. So, I've written up some types:

Type 1 - "Limited Intangibility" - refers to characters whose bodies are composed of an immaterial or energy substance (eg, fire or light), which recovers its shape in the event it is damaged. This intangibility can be overcome by opposing elements or (often) using special abilities. Also this level is vulnerable to certain effects such as sound, gravity but direct physical contact can be ignored due to unspecified levels of Regenerationn. However, this level of intangibility does not have the ability to pass through solid objects.

Examples of characters with this type: Logia users, Kabuto Yakushi

Type 2 - "Intangibility via existing in a different dimension" - refers to characters whose body is entirely or partly transferred to another dimension / plane / reality that allows them to ignore some of the effects of the ordinary world. There may be attacked by dimensional manipulation or those powers that continue to apply to them (sound or gravity). Attacks using the properties of similar abilities also affect such a being in partial transition.

Examples of characters with this type: Obito Uchiha

Type 3 - "Intangibility via energetic existence" - refers to the characters that exist in the form of intangible energy (for example, soul, quantum foam, magical form, or just particles that do not have clear links between them, and are able to pass through solid material). They can ignore almost any exposure, excluding special abilities that relate to them (a soul wouldn't be able to ignore soul manipulation for example.)

Examples of characters with such abilities: Sasaki Kojiro (in astral form), Michael Roa Valdamjong (in between reincarnations), Post Retcon Beyonder (Cosmic Cube)

Type 4 - "Intangibility via Abstraction" - refers to those characters who are completely devoid of any specific material or energy, such as existing in the form of information or aspects of reality itself. These beings are immune to any effects other than the reality warping and cosmic powers. It is worth noting that such creatures still are part of the normal dimensional universes and timelines and therefore are not immune to the effects of higher-dimensional beings.

Examples of chatacters with this type: Phoenix Force, The Endless, the Living Tribunal

Type 5 - "Intangibility via Meta-abstraction" - refers to meta abstract characters, which among other things, are independent of the concepts of space, time and dimensions, or the reality of multi-layered universes. They possess an intangible immunity to even reality warping on the levels of the dimensional universe, and they are vulnerable only to effects from the same level or higher existence.

Examples of characters with this type: the Chousin, Nyarlathotep (Demonbane), Kawahara Sakuya

I am open to suggestions and improvements :)

Type 1 should be called fluid intangibility, but I have no problems with it. Though this may be too big of a project for now.

The longer we wait, the more pages we will have and the longer it will take. I'm not looking for a big wiki project, just clarifying different types of intangibility because the page is locked.

Fair enough. Just pointing that out because it's the same reason we didn't do how long it takes to regenerate for Regenerationn.

Seems pretty nice to me, It would help for people to understand what sort of intangibility a character has (I've had to explain this sometimes in Vs Threads, when defending a character or another).

However, I'm no staff member so I can't say how much work it would take to specify this on the intangibility users. You have my support anyways.

You have my support in this.

I've looked at the amount of profiles, and there's about 400 pages that will need to be changed if this is agreed upon.

Even if we don't change all the profiles immediately, it would be good to implement this so that future profiles can be written better. I support this

Well, we will be extremely busy with more important wiki projects within the near future, so I am afraid that we cannot do more than simply edit the explanation page, and hope that people gradually start to use the templates.

Types 4 and 5 overlap heavily with our definition of Non-Corporeal, but otherwise I have no problems with these.

As Antvasima stated, so many characters have intangibility that it's impractical to enact this on a wiki-wide scale. It would be nice to have this though.

How? Even a simple spirit is non-coporeal, but doesn't have type 4 intangibility and most certainly doesn't have type 5. Type 5 is for High 2-A and above.

@Sera

Our current definition for Non-Corporeal is this:

"Non-Corporeal (or Incorporeal) beings are those who have no true physical form. Though they may have physical avatars or bodies, but their true essence exists non-physically, whether as a soul, as energy, or as an abstract concept."

Types 4 and 5 involve the latter part of this statement. This would also fall under our classification for Abstract Existence which is as follows:

" a certain character is an immaterial embodiment of a fundamental abstract concept, and is able to regenerate as long as the concept itself continues to exist."

Which is once again Types 4 and 5 under your chart.

Your definitions aren't wrong in the least. I'm just worried about redundancy and repetition.

Hmm. I see. However, there's a difference between an abstraction and a meta-abstraction. Abstract existences tend to be universal or multi-universal, while a meta-abstraction is clearly referring to Tier 1-A. It's like how Regenerationn can grant type 3 immortality. Absract existence grants type 4, meta would be type 5. I do see how this can be redundant though.

I agree with Repp, but otherwise agree with the rest, and am willing to assist if i can.

I've read over the pages. Abstract existence seems to be conceptual embodiment. This is trash tier compared to a meta-existence, which is likely beyond those concepts.

For example: Eternity is an abstract but he does not have Type 5 Intangibility because that it reserved for beings outside the laws of universe, not the embodiment or within it.

Wouldn't that cause an inconsistency? It would mean the theoretical type 4 would have a separate page (granted its already been there). Or, do we merged the definitions of abstract existence and type 4? They do intertwine.

Maybe we could simply link to the abstract existence page within the description?

Anyway, I appreciate the effort, but am not sure if there is an actual "demand" for/interest in this type of in-depth explanation for intangibility in particular.

I like how Sera has differentiated types of intangibility. The wiki is too much focused on AP, distinction of hax would be nice

I think there has been a misunderstanding or a possible misinterpertation regarding the Type 4 intangibility as Sera is just rewording the same definition of abstract existence itself and is just giving a description of how Type 4 works. I do have a problem with the immunity part of Type 4 as that would change a lot if we put it that way as it will cause confusion to people who will assume those characters have auto immunity to everything except the following haxs that can destroy a abstract being. Everything else seems fine to me.

It wouldn't be inconsistency as well.

Also I am back as I feel better than before for this week at least.

"Fluid Intangibility" is a good name for Type 1.

I agree that Non-Corporeal overlaps with Types 4.

While this may not be entirely necessary, I think it's a good addition, as people tend to confuse various types of intangibility and put them on the same level when they often work very differently.

I did not simply "reword" the definition of abstract existence.

Honestly, I don't really see the point of making "types" of Intangibility as opposed to just clarifying its mechanics in the page. (For example, FFXV's Ifrit is able to turn himself into flames to evade attacks, so I'd just put "Intangibility (Able to turn into flames to avoid attacks)"). Though, I wouldn't mind a separate page for "Logia Intangibility" (Referring to when characters become intangible by turning into an element, such as flames or mist).

Then there's the prior mentioned unnecessarily large workload (We have around 400 characters in the "Intangibility Users" category, and I highly doubt anyone would want to sort through absolutely all of them).

@Sera I will have to disagree with that mainly because the description of Type 4 Intangibility isn't too complicated nor too simple. The first sentence of the description will be the definition of abstract existence being reworded while the rest seems to be more like clarifying it as I should explain a bit more on this. After all we make up the words and their meaning on a daily basics based on how it is supposed to mean and how we intend to make that word's meaning.

@Ever Giving an explanation to each characters in their page seems to me it would be a even bigger work load.

Instead of just putting type 1 or 2, we'd have to write like a paragraph explaining the intangibility every time.

I also think that The Everlasting makes sense. My apologies Sera.

To be fair we can squeeze the clarification in one sentence so it isn't too hard. Of course the types of intangibility Sera proposed will be best used on the intangibility page rather than the character pages that has it as we could do both for that matter as we just add the type of intangibility for characters that has it. Technically though we could just do the clarification on the character's intangibility and how it works. Passive or Active will also be factored for Intangibility.

Once this finalized and implemented I will gladly look over the pages I have made and change them accordingly.

Fine. I tried. I do not see how writing an explanation would be better than simply putting "Type 1, 2, 3, etc." but okay.

It's not you, Sera. It's just that we don't have the time nor the energy for it. For example, I had a good idea involving 4-B back in July. We're not allowed to open that thread until like, next month because of it taking too long.

Exactly this would cause a HUGE revision of thousands of files. We simply don't have the time.

Heck. Just me making a "Resurrection Users" category and adding pages, took a lot out of me and I only got at most 4 pages done.

@Dragon

Well, it's only about 400, so it's actually doable, but I don't know if anyone is willing to do all of this.

However, I would not mind implementing these explanations on the Intangibility page itself for future reference.

Let's be honest here. The more we wait, the more pages will be added and the harder the workload will be. By next the end of next month, that 400 pages could be 475, or even 500.

But one more time...I was not looking for a massive revision, I just wanted to add these to the Intangibility page but it was locked, so I made a content revision thread. That's all.

Well, I think people rather prefer Ever's idea. That's fine with me, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back