• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Infinite-sized DC Comics universes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly because to my knowledge we don't really have statements Post-Flashpoint universes are infinite to my knowledge beyond the Phantom Zone. Most of the statements above seem consolidated to Post-Crisis
Universes are parallel in DC. Post Flashpoint isn't a different canon, its just history being altered. So the post crisis one would still apply

Mostly because to my knowledge we don't really have statements Post-Flashpoint universes are infinite to my knowledge beyond the Phantom Zone. Most of the statements above seem consolidated to Post-Crisis
Justice League Annual 1 (2018) is Post-Flashpoint.

The Source Wall is at the edge, yes, but it's not a proper physical wall per se. It covers an entire space time continuum. It's the wall between two universe. It doesn't contradict infinite space.

It's a higher D structure, so seeing an infinity as less of infinity isn't a contradiction you think it is.
IIRC you can reach the Source Wall via travel or teleportation in 3-D Space.

I mean there are degrees of infinity right
It’s possible for one thing to be infinite and yet dwarfed by a higher infinity

that’s also ignoring the higher dimensional properties of the Source Wall which makes it less a physical barrier and more an incorporeal one
I'm only talking about the Source Wall in its form in 3-D Space. IIRC, it can be reached by standard travel.

There are a few instances which is m remembering, one being Superman using boom tube. The other is Supergirl and Superboy trapping prime - I will recheck if they used a device. And another is Hal meeting the giant dude there post krona gauntlet. And I think he reached there off panel, so hard to say if he did it normally or reached it via a special ability. Kyle going there is a different story as white lantern, he was operating a higher level compared to normal people and whatnot.

Anything else I missed?

I agree with DC universes being infinite because there's many statements about it and it's also very consistent. There's only one statement that contradicts it afaik (100 trillion light years being half of the universe) and it comes from Superman who isn't a major cosmic being or very knowledgeable about universes.

Source Walls are higher-dimensional constructs that covers the entire 4-D spacetime continuums, so it doesn't contradict 3-D infinite space.
Do we have other statements besides the 5 from Prince's original blog? If so, can you link them so I can try to source them?

There are a few instances which is m remembering, one being Superman using boom tube. The other is Supergirl and Superboy trapping prime - I will recheck if they used a device. And another is Hal meeting the giant dude there post krona gauntlet. And I think he reached there off panel, so hard to say if he did it normally or reached it via a special ability. Kyle going there is a different story as white lantern, he was operating a higher level compared to normal people and whatnot.

Anything else I missed?
At the moment, these are Post-Flashpoint Sources.

At the moment, these are Post-Flashpoint Sources.
Nice infinite speed feats

As I just stated, the Wall is depicted as the finite 3-D end of the universe in the given GL series. It's not an infinite distance to get there.

Also, you can't use infinity to practically determine a location on a 3-D Axis.

As I just stated, the Wall is depicted as the finite 3-D end of the universe in the given GL series. It's not an infinite distance to get there.

It does not say its finite anywhere in the scan

What does using infinity mean?

It does not say its finite anywhere in the scan
The idea of a universe with infinite 3-D space in all directions is not compatible with the idea of the Source Wall being the border of the universe, encircling the universe's 3-D space in every direction and preventing continued movement.

The idea of a universe with infinite 3-D space in all directions is not compatible with the idea of the Source Wall being the border of the universe, encircling the universe's 3-D space in every direction and preventing continued movement.
That sounds entirely possible, it would just mean the source wall is infinite too

That sounds entirely possible, it would just mean the source wall is infinite too
What do you mean by that?

It's either you keep traveling empty 3-D space for all time never getting stopped by a barrier or something to support infinite 3-D space, or you travel far enough that you get stopped by the wall. You can't have both.

Many beings have traveled to and got trapped in the Source Wall.

What do you mean by that?

It's either you keep traveling empty 3-D space for all time never getting stopped by a barrier or something to support infinite 3-D space, or you travel far enough that you get stopped by the wall. You can't have both.

Many beings have traveled to and got trapped in the Source Wall.
I already explained why infinity can have an end, so its possible for it to be infinite but surrounded by an end or a barrier

Can you please reiterate your explanation? You haven't really answered how you can travel an infinite 3-D distance and still be stopped by a 3-D Wall.

I am well aware of the idea of sets of infinities, but that doesn't really apply to this case since the wall in question exists in the same 3-D units of space travel and not an infinite dimension of space higher.

Recall the episode of Futurama with a universe in a box. If you are in the infinite 3-D Universe inside the box, you will never reach the borders of the box when traveling in that universe. To see the box, you need to leave the 3-D space of the universe and enter the 4-D space where the box exists. This is not the case with the Source Wall.

Last edited:
You are aware that the comic is talking about the general infinite energy of the big bang. The comic even explains the universe's space expansion in finite amounts using light-years.

You are aware that the comic is talking about the general infinite energy of the big bang. The comic even explains the universe's space expansion in finite amounts using light-years.
I used that to prove there can be 2 infinites in DC. Not that I even needed to, because thats real world logic.

It says it expanded that much at the beginning, which has nothing to do with the whole universe being finite in size now

But it's inconsistent. Source Walls consistently depicted as higher-dimensional walls that cover entire spacetime continuums not just 3-D space.

@LuciferDC099

Let's start over, and break it down piece by piece since we are still gathering information throughout DC Comic History.

Based on the sources I provided earlier, would you agree that Green Lantern Vol 5 treats the universal Source Wall as something anyone can encounter in 3-D space, preventing them from traveling any further in space?

I don't know about other comic series, but this is just what GL is doing during New 52.

Based on the sources I provided earlier, would you agree that Green Lantern Vol 5 treats the universal Source Wall as something anyone can encounter in 3-D space, preventing them from traveling any further in space?
Yes, i agree that in that comic Source Wall was depicted as a 3-D construct that is located at the end of the universe.
I don't know about other comic series, but this is just what GL is doing during New 52.
In Countdown (Post-Crisis) a Monitor stated that each universe in the Local Multiverse exists on its own vibrational plane (which means that they're talking about spacetime continuums, not just about 3-D spaces), and they're kept seperate and stationary by a Source Wall that surrounds each of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back