• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Improving Geralt of Rivia (Netflix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGrath

Top Tiering Advisor in Liyue
She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
The current Geralt of Rivia page, as it is, is honestly perfectly acceptable. However, there are still minor issues I have with... well, honestly almost every section on it. No disrespect to the original poster of it, it's still a fine page. But I personally think it could do with a lot of improvements, and since I was already in the process of constructing the Geralt page before it was published, I figured I'd continue with it using the current page as a basis.

Here's what I made.

I would like to suggest replacing the current page's information with the information in this blog post. For clarity, here are the major changes:

- Changed the picture used. The current picture is fine, but again, could do with improvements. It's in a landscape format rather than a portrait format, which is generally inappropriate for character profiles and doesn't fit well aesthetically. It also shows a depiction of Geraly during one specific scene that doesn't particularly match his usual appearance. So while not necessary, I think the picture used in the blog post would be better. If there's disagreement, I'm fully fine with using the current picture.

- Added a quote. Just to be more consistent with the other Geralt pages.

- Changed the summary. Just adding more clarity, basically.

- Changed tier from "Likely 9-B" to "At least 9-B, higher with signs". This is debatable, but I think there's more than enough of an argument to support Geralt being straight up 9-B under the current feats, statements, and scaling.

• Underwent Witcher mutations, which are designed to make mercenaries far beyond any reasonable human limits.
  • Geralt is stated to have undergone further mutations that are heavily implied to have made him far stronger than normal Witchers.
  • One-shotted several highly-trained guards working personally to protect Queen Calanthe, with the implication that he would have killed all of them if the fight had not been stopped.
  • Fought a Striga Adda for a prolonged period of time, a creature that was previously demonstrated to be capable of one-shotting regular Witchers, and managed to survive strikes from it.
- If you consider all of this, on top of the fact that there are IRL humans who can just barely pour into the 9-B range, then Geralt being "At least 9-B" is fully substantiated. Being higher with signs comes from Aard, which is capable of blasting through extremely thick stone floors that Geralt is shown to not quite be capable of destroying otherwise.

- Powers and Abilities. Changed Regenerationn from "Low" to "Low-Mid", considering that he managed to fully regenerate from a deep wound on the forehead with no further scarring or evidence. Added "Stealth Mastery", for demonstrating knowledge of techniques used to bypass trained guards without alerting them. Corrected Forcefield Creation; which is done with Quen rather than Yrden. Added Attack Reflection for Quen, via reflecting the energy of a Striga's attack. Added "possibly Fire Manipulation" via Igni, which he should be capable of using despite not directly demonstrating it.

- General clarifications, grammar fixes and rewordings across the page.

Creator of current page here

> Change the picture used

Agreeable, but best to use a png with background cropped out, as is standard procedure on the site. Tried to do so myself, but I do this stuff on my phone, which only has passable editing apps

> Add a quote

Agreed

> Changed the summary

Seems a tad better than the one I made, yeah

> Changed tier

Makes sense

> Changed Powers and Abilities

His usage of the forcefield Sign in his fight with Adda more closely matches his application of Yrden in the books, but the Sign in the show more closely resembles games Quen. I chose to list it as Yrden since the show borrows more from the books. We can discuss

I noticed what you meant about the Yrden description, but as far as I could find it seemed like Yrden moreso scares monsters away rather than directly creating a barrier or reflecting monsters away. I'm not absolutely 100% certain on that detail, but I'm pretty sure the show depicted Quen.

And yeah, a PNG with a cropped out background would be better, so I'm again fine with using the one that's already on the page (though that one notably has a few minor snippets left out). I could also look into getting the background for this new image snipped out as well.

Afaik it's described as a ward against evil in the books, which is a pretty vague description, so I think it's pretty subject to change between adaptations

I'd go with snipping out the background of the new image, better represents Geralt's loadout and the aspect ratio is better (albeit he fights in just his casual attire pretty often, too)

Fair enough. I'll see if I can get the background snipped out then.

Otherwise, should it be fine to replace the info in the page?

Gotcha. Given that this is a pretty major change to an entire page, I think it would probably be best to get the approval of a Content Moderator first. I'll ask around.

Thank you. I think this can be applied then.

All done. Should this be closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back