• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important! Categories in sandboxes and blog posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

It is extremely important that ALL of our members permanently stop inserting any categories whatsoever into sandboxes and any inappropriate categories into blog posts, as it messes up our wiki's organisation structure to a very extreme degree by spamming our category lists with completely irrelevant additions, and takes me massive amounts of time to continuously vainly try to clean up.

I need help from our entire community with continuously systematically removing inappropriate categories from all sandboxes whenever you notice this problem, and to do so from your own blog posts if you know that you have messed up in this regard.

Take note that it is perfectly good to always use the "Blog posts" category for any type of blog post, that the "Calculations" category should be used for calculation blogs, and that the relevant verse categories should be used for calculation or explanation blogs that have been officially accepted by our calc group members (For example, the "Naruto" category can be added to a calculation blog for this verse after it has been accepted.), so those categories should definitely NOT be removed.

Here is a blog that uses acceptable standard categories, for example:

Wiki sandboxes can be edited by all of our members, but blog posts can only be edited by our administrators, so I would appreciate if our members link to any blog posts with inappropriate categories here in this thread, so our administrators can help out by removing them.

Content moderators who are willing to help out with this project will also receive temporary wiki administrator rights while they are doing so, so they can edit blog posts as well. However, it is a big responsibility, so they have to promise to be very careful so they do not cause any harm to our wiki structure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Thank you. Your help is very appreciated.

I agree. I have, on occasion, remove categories from sandboxes. But I haven’t fully went in, because I don’t wanna start drama with other staff members over messing with their Sandboxes.

Might it not be better to separate the calculation blog posts from the main verse category? So we could have:

"Naruto Calculations" category.
"One Punch Man Calculations" category, etc.

And then all of those can be grouped together in a "Calculations by Verse" category. Which could help with navigating around calculations and also stop some verse categories being flooded with too many blogs added to them.

Might it not be better to separate the calculation blog posts from the main verse category? So we could have:

I was thinking that as well. Especially for collecting calcs for franchises with a lot of different continuities.

And then all of those can be grouped together in a "Calculations by Verse" category. Which could help with navigating around calculations and also stop some verse categories being flooded with too many blogs added to them.
That is probably a good idea, but it preferably has to be handled via an unrelated future revision project, as this one is considerably more urgent and important.

Yeah, I've stopped doing this when I realized the blogs shouldn't have all those categories. I'll try and update those I come across.

Thank you for helping out.

Perhaps the members who volunteer to help out here would be willing to gradually browse though our "Characters" and various Tier categories in order to find all of the sandboxes and blogs that need to be adjusted in this manner?

Thank you for helping out.

Perhaps the members who volunteer to help out here would be willing to gradually browse though our "Characters" and various Tier categories in order to find all of the sandboxes and blogs that need to be adjusted in this manner?

I'll give it a look when I can. I'll also go through some of my old character blogs because I'm pretty sure they have this problem as well.

Will anything be done to categories inherited from templates such as {{9-B}}? Such templates are generally used for WIPs and all, so removing them and banning their usage in blogs and sandboxes may be detrimental for page development

I'll check it out, but this
Will anything be done to categories inherited from templates such as {{9-B}}? Such templates are generally used for WIPs and all, so removing them and banning their usage in blogs and sandboxes may be detrimental for page development
is a serious concern as well

Categories from templates are also definitely not allowed for sandboxes or blog posts, as they still extremely mess up our organisation. Our members will have to write them as, for example, just 9-B when they are writing their character profile page drafts, and change the used example to {{9-B}} first when they post a page.

Anyway, I would extremely greatly appreciate if I can get many experienced volunteers for helping out with this project by checking through the following categories, and removing all inappropriate categories from sandboxes and blog posts.

@DarkDragonMedeus @SomebodyData @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Andytrenom @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Damage3245 @Shadowbokunohero @Crazylatin77 @Jvando @Zaratthustra @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Mariogoods @Dereck03 @JustSomeWeirdo @Theglassman12 @Crabwhale @Eficiente @DarkGrath @Moritzva @Firestorm808 @DemonGodMitchAubin @Everything12 @Duedate8898 @Planck69 @KingTempest @Armorchompy @CrimsonStarFallen @UchihaSlayer96 @Confluctor @Hop_Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer @The_Impress @Maverick_Zero_X @LordTracer @Emirp sumitpo

Would any of you be willing to help out with this please? However, help from other staff and experienced regular members is also very welcome.

In order to be able to correct blog posts, the content moderators who apply will receive temporary wiki administrator rights while they are participating, although they will have to promise to be very careful so they do not accidentally cause any harm.

It might also be a good idea to give such temporary rights to thread moderators who help out with this project, but they would have to promise to be even more careful, as they are not used to having the extra, potentially dangerous, tools at their disposal.

Also, please do NOT remove the "Blog posts" category from any blog posts at all, or the "Calculations" category from any blog posts with calculations in them, or specific relevant verse categories from any blog posts with accepted calculations.

I managed to delete all of mine from there that involved any of those categories. My apologies for being part of the problem

Already got rid of those from my part. I’m also willing to help with the others
Thank you very much for the help. You are awesome.

Are you willing to gradually help with going through the categories that I linked to above to check for blogs and sandboxes with inappropriate categories? If so, I can give you temporary wiki administrator rights if you wish.

Sure i can help but I will only be able to take care of the sandboxes since that's as far as my rights go. Will start to check later.
Thank you very much for helping out. You are also awesome.

We hope to make you a content moderator after our upcoming staff promotion survey, but it seems inappropriate to suddenly give you temporary admin rights at this moment. My apologies.

There are plenty of sandboxes to correct though.

Also, perhaps the volunteers with administrator rights should, at leadt initially, only focus on correcting blog posts with these problems, as sandboxes can be edited by all other members as well?

I'll give it a look when I can. I'll also go through some of my old character blogs because I'm pretty sure they have this problem as well.
My apologies for not responding earlier. Thank you very much to you as well. You are obviously also awesome.

We hope to make you a content moderator after our upcoming staff promotion survey
Nice to hear
but it seems inappropriate to suddenly give you temporary admin rights at this moment. My apologies.
It's not like I'm asking for them either, and it would be unfair since I'm not even part of the staff.
There are plenty of sandboxes to correct though.
Yeah as long as there are more people helping it won't be heavy work, I have already removed a lot of templates and sandbox category so far. Although in 1 hour I will go to sleep since it is 2 am in my country.

Also, perhaps the volunteers with administrator rights should, at leadt initially, only focus on correcting blog posts with these problems, as sandboxes can be edited by all other members as well?
I think it would be preferable for them to focus on blogs post primarily since that is what they will be given the temporary rights for. Although obviously they can help with sandboxes if they run into them.

Just in case someone wants to help clean sandboxes, this way you can easily find them. Ahhh, wonderful CTRL+F...

I think it would be preferable for them to focus on blogs post primarily since that is what they will be given the temporary rights for. Although obviously they can help with sandboxes if they run into them.
Yes, I think so as well.
Nice to hear
No problem.
It's not like I'm asking for them either, and it would be unfair since I'm not even part of the staff.
Thank you for being reasonable.
Yeah as long as there are more people helping it won't be heavy work, I have already removed a lot of templates and sandbox category so far. Although in 1 hour I will go to sleep since it is 2 am in my country.
No problem. Thanks a lot for helping out.
Just in case someone wants to help clean sandboxes, this way you can easily find them. Ahhh, wonderful CTRL+F...
The video unfortunately has too low resolution for me to see properly what is going on.

The video unfortunately has too low resolution for me to see properly what is going on.
On the phone it has low resolution... Don't know why, but if you use desktop mode / PC and click on the gear that says SD, it will replay in high quality....

Alright I cleaned all the sanboxes in the Unknown tier category
Can't touch user blogs though

Alright I cleaned all the sanboxes in the Unknown tier category
Can't touch user blogs though
Thank you very much for helping out. It is extremely appreciated. You are also awesome.

I can give you temporary wiki administrator rights to help you edit blog posts if you wish.

Okay. I will give you and Tllmbrg temporary increased user rights then. Thanks again for helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back