• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Immortality (Type 2) Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monarch_Laciel

VS Battles
Retired
Type 2 Immortality as it has been explained to me several times essentially means "can survive attacks that should be lethal, regardless of Regenerationn". For example, the Magical Girls from the Puella Magi verse can survive damage up to and including decapitation, not because they can regenerate from these injuries (though they can heal themselves), but because the damage simply isn't lethal to them.

However, the name and definition of Type 2 imply that it is impossible to have both Type 2 Immortality and Type 3 / Regenerationn. However, if Type 2 is indeed simply the ability to "not die from wounds that should kill a normal human", then this implication is incorrect, and it is possible to have both Type 2 Immortality and Regenerationn / Type 3

For example, a being with Type 2 and Regenerationn could regenerate if their head was cut off, but they would also still survive if their head was cut off by a Regenerationn negating weapon, whereas a being with only Type 3 would die if they suffered a lethal wound from a Regenerationn negating weapon.

So, I believe that the definition of Type 2 immortality should be changed. This would not be a large or disruptive change, as it would continue to have the current requirements of type 2. So, my proposed definition is:

"2: Immortality independent of Regenerationn: Characters with this degree of immortality can survive injuries that would otherwise be lethal to a normal person, without needing to heal from it."

I'm not happy with the name, so input would be appreciated on that if this is accepted.

Sounds good to me, even if the name could be better.

I agree with this as well, it should be possible for someone to have 2 and 3, but it is still specified that an Immortality Type 2 character can survive their head or organs being removed without the need to regenerate from it.

Undying is too close to Undead which is type 7.

I dunno about a better name tho

Just stick with Immortality independent of Regenerationn

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Name's good as is.

I recommend calling it "Physical immortality" or something to a similar effect.

Straight to the point, covers the whole aspect regarding survivability, doesn't sound stupid.

@MrKing's idea does sound good, except several of these abilities are technically a form of physical immortality.

I think a good distiniction is that Type 3 Immortals are kept alive due to their Regenerationn were as Type 2 Immortals are kept alive regardless of injury they may face. It would be possible to have both, but it would be hard to tell the difference unless a character sustained injuries that surpass their regenerative capabilities yet are able to remain alive.

Example: Can regenerate limbs and organs at best, yet can remain alive as minced meat even if they cannot restore themselves

I suppose that this makes sense, but it would be extremely hard to know if a character with immortality through Regenerationn also has immortality independent of Regenerationn, as we would not see it demonstrated in the vast majority of cases.

I'm not good in naming things, but how about "Lethal Immortality"?

I mean, it's matches with the definition of the said Inmortality.

Antvasima said:
I suppose that this makes sense, but it would be extremely hard to know if a character with immortality through Regenerationn also has immortality independent of Regenerationn, as we would not see it demonstrated in the vast majority of cases.
Perhaps not, but I still believe the distinction should be made.

Ban for example can survive wounds that should be lethal to him, even without his Regenerationn healing them. Darquesse can keep herself alive even with a destroyed heart even without healing herself.

@Ant

Well there are cases like Dio Brando, who can survive being blown up thanks to type 3 (High-Mid regen), but also has type 2 because he can survive as a head only (Regenerating from that is Low-High)

In general i'd say that someone who regenerates gets type 3, then if they also show type 2 it can be added, it simply shouldn't be assumed.

That is probably fine. Remember to remove the highlight for this thread afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back