• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Immeasurable speed questions

Qawsedf234

VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
I've noticed a trend where Immeasurable speed is used without real proper justifications, or the justification presented is just not adequate for the rating. From the Speed page the definition is

> Immeasurable (Movement beyond linear time. This is why the speed cannot be measured. Given that S = D/T, if T is undefined the speed formula cannot be applied. This is the same reason why multiple temporal dimensions also grant immeasurable speed. For further information, see note 5 below.)

And

> Characters that are able to move backwards and forwards through time by movement alone qualify for immeasurable speed. However, due to general inconsistencies, and the fact that several fictions grant this ability to any character able to move FTL, they may be assigned an additional, independent, speed rating for the ability. This should preferably be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Which is fine but I've noticed multiple profiles lack this justification. For the most part the rating is given to those with higher dimensional ratings despite that not being what it is. For example

• Multiple TTGL profiles have this speed rating but do not fit the above definition: Example here and here. Where simply being higher dimensional is their reasoning for Immeasurable speed
  • People like CA Superma have this rating due to being higher dimensional rather than being able to move through time
  • Before a recent thread various DnD profiles were rated as Immeasurable for being Higher Dimensional basically
There's probably others but these are the ones that I know about. Now I could just be misunderstanding it, but just being higher dimensional/being stated as "beyond time" doesn't automatically qualify for Immeasurable right? If so I feel like a greater clarifcation is needed for the rating since it can be misused quite easily. Or is being beyond time enough for a Immeasurable rating?

To my knowledge, we automatically give Immeasurable speed to High 2-A and higher beings because they transcend the whole dimension of time (which is the 4th one), thus they would be completely unbound by it and be able to move through it without following its linearity.

So being 5D or higher can be enough of a justification, but not being 4D, as you wouldn't necessarily be able to move unbound by linear time.

Also, as far as I know, moving through more than one temporal dimension (or just one different from the standard one) can count as Immeasurable too.

If being 5D qualifies for Immeasurable I feel like that should be added to the page. Also if moving through more than one temporal dimension counts then it should also be added. Both are pretty important things to note.

It seems the definition page is outdated. If only being higher D is enough for said rating I agree it should be updated so justifications match

Being higher dimensional alone does not qualify for immeasurable speed.

Being beyond time can qualify depending on context. If you are unbound by time then you don't generally have to go in its direction, which would make you immeasurable.

If higher dimensional existence doesn't qualify for the rating and being beyond time does, I feel both should be added to the definition page. Because to my experience people equate the former rating with Immeasurable speed a lot.

I agree some justifications only list higher D as a reasoning. Or rather higher D is being equated to beyond time. Regardless an update for clarity would be good.

See now I'm getting back to the contradicting statements. Because I've heard even mods say that and other mods say otherwise. The definition is to vague and needs expanding on.

It depends on metaphysics of specific fiction. For example, Nikita Suhov from V.V. Golovachev's "The virus of darkness - the shadow of Lucifer's wind" is a 507-dimensional being (these dimensions are spatial and temporal), but his speed isn't immeasurable (and so he is not able to move beyond linear time).

Yeah, but there's also a problem with just inconsistent applications of the tier. Like with TTGL, D&D, or a recent anime King Ghidora thread. It should be better spelt out or clarified, Such as "Being higher dimensional does not give a character this speed without more evidence"

Back