• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Human Vaporization Values

FanofRPGs

VS Battles
Retired
For long, we have accepted that 2.99 Gigajoules as the number needed to induce vaporization onto a human, which is a common and important feat in fiction.

But in reality, the source in question

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...ook-so-youe28099re-ready-to-vaporize-a-human/

Talks about atomization of a human, and not vaporization.

"And thanks to our spies spread across scientific organizations, we now have the energy required to turn a human into an atomic soup, to break all the atomic bonds in a body. According to the captured study, it takes around three gigajoules of death-ray to entirely vaporize a person"

And so, I made a rough calculation on the energy needed to destroy a human being

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:FanofRPGs/Rough_Calc,_Vaporization_for_a_Human

While I admit I took shortcuts, left out latent heat (It would change the resultant energy by probably only a hundred kilojoules or so tops), and maybe have chosen some iffy materials to represent the compounds in hte human body, the margin of error should not be so big. I get roughty ~300 megajoules in all.

I would be grateful if more experienced math and science-adept members look at my calc and help with latent heat and better materials to use. However, in general, vaporizing humans should be a 9-A feat in the ~300 megajoule range. Which means profiles which have characters are 8-C due to human vaporization feats should be downgraded to 9-A. Two ones that come to mind for me is Bishop Ladja and the Type-33 Light Anti-Armor Weapo.

Weird, i had always thought vaporizing humans was 9-A, but apparently we were counting it as 8-C, but that was wrong and was for atomization, and the correct value for vaporization is indeed 9-A, interesting.

Admittedly, I'm not nearly as mathematically inclined as some other calc group members, but I'd be okay with using this value for the time being, until we can get a more ironed out and accurate system.

We also need to determine in which calculation instructions page that we should insert a link to this. As well as if we should use Gwynbleiddd's calculation instead (which ended up at a similar value, if I recall properly)?

Antvasima said:
We also need to determine in which calculation instructions page that we should insert a link to this. As well as if we should use Gwynbleiddd's calculation instead (which ended up at a similar value, if I recall properly)?
What I believe will needed to be done is a composite blog which uses my methods, but with more in depth numbers on latent heat and better benchmarks for stuff.

Yes, that is Gwynbleiddd's above mentioned blog post calculation.

So I was discussing with Lina, and I take note that several "vaporization" feats still leave the ashes (presumably of the bone) on the ground while the rest is mere vaporous smoke. Could it be thus stated the range for vaporization is Ô¬å200 to ~300 megajoules, with ~300 megajoules being higher end vaporization where everything becomes liquified and gone?

Posted this in the comments section of the blog, but will post again.

Since the temperature change is 1343.5 degrees Celsius, we will be using this value as Delta T.

Q = (Mass)*(Specific Heat)*(Temp. difference)

• Water = (37.2)*(4178)*(1343.5) = 208,708,963.2 J
  • Fat = (10.54)*(2348)*(1343.5) = 33,248,830.52 J
  • Protein = (9.92)*(3421)*(1343.5) = 45,593,445.92 J
  • Minerals = (3.72)*(2348)*(1343.5) = 11,734,881.36 J
  • Carbohydrates = (0.62)*(2348)*(1343.5) = 1,955,813.56 J
Add em all ups to get a value of... Qtotal = 301,241,934.6 J, or 0.072 Tons of TNT

Looks good Fan.

An addition for this would be Q2 for water, since said water changed state from a liquid to a gas upon vaporization, which involves latent heat of vaporization. This is the only part of the calculation that we are certain on.

• Latent heat of vaporization of water =
  • Q2 = (2257000 J/kg)*(37.2 kg) = 83,960,400 J
  • Qtotal = 385,202,334.6 J, or 0.0921 Tons of TNT
Not sure about the latent heat of vaporization for substances other than water.

We have adjusted the temperature to the point where the skeleton completely disintegrates, as the previous temperature used in the calc would mean that the skeletal structure would still remain.

I think Fan has accounted for the skeletal structure in his calc...

Okay. 3.72 kg minerals seems too low for the skeleton though.

Antvasima said:
Okay. 3.72 kg minerals seems too low for the skeleton though.
3.72 kg is the minerals making up the skeleton, as there are still proteins that make it up too.

Back