• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Calculations: Wood Vaporization Values

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So, I went out of my way to calculate the vaporization value of wood and it had been okay'd, but I'd might as well CRT it just to make sure.: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Flashlight237/Vaporizing_Wood

Based on the calculations made, the vaporization of wood (or at the very least Douglas fir, but a lot of studies generalize wood anyway) appears to range from 9167 to 10127.1 joules per cubic centimeter. A smidge low, but the math ain't wrong. I did that because... Heck with it, it'll be needed for wood vaporization feats. So yeah, there ya have it.

Seems fairly fine. And I know some calcs might need slight adjustments.

Seems fairly fine. And I know some calcs might need slight adjustments.
Yeah, that's true. It's not every day someone decides to calc missing values. I did some on Carbon (graphite and carbon fibers) of all things, though calcium is largely a mess. I've a feeling I'll have to use rules of thumb for that one.

This is pretty good, a much easier way to calculate vaporization wood.

Well, for a start burning vs. vaporization should be addressed upon usage.
The reason we don't consider combustion with humans is that they wouldn't burn if you incinerate them quickly. Too much water. In cremation, some stuff might burn, but that is after the flames dried things to a certain extent, which takes time. Really, the temperatures we use are probably more of a low-end...

Anyway, dry wood burns easier, so exothermal chemical reactions should be considered.

So, before using those vaporization values it is a good idea to put some thought into it.

Anyway, safety disclaimer aside, let's get to the calc:
And before you ask, no, there is no latent heat of fusion for wood. I checked.: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10973-022-11285-9
Can you point out the part where it says there is no latent heat of fusion?

Wood (15°C): 1.05+(1.8*10^-4*15)
Where does that formula come from? It doesn't seem to match the ones on page 213 from this.

Now, according to this, vapors are released by wood at 1100°C: https://www.dnr.louisiana.gov/assets/tad/education/ecep/sources/d/d.htm
That's °F in the source, not °C.
This and this might be of interest.

Well, for a start burning vs. vaporization should be addressed upon usage.
The reason we don't consider combustion with humans is that they wouldn't burn if you incinerate them quickly. Too much water. In cremation, some stuff might burn, but that is after the flames dried things to a certain extent, which takes time. Really, the temperatures we use are probably more of a low-end...
Sure, but you gotta keep in mind the end results of both cremation and wood burning are the same: ash.
Can you point out the part where it says there is no latent heat of fusion?
Right after Figure 10 in the article linked.
Where does that formula come from? It doesn't seem to match the ones on page 213 from this.
Same page, under "Volatile Pyrolysis Products", the section which directly correlates to the final paragraph of Page 212 where the 20 MJ/kg figure came from.
That's °F in the source, not °C.
This and this might be of interest.
... -snap!- Shit!

Back