• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How strong is Baldur in GOW 4?

I'm pretty sure the first scan is about Baldur's invulnerability curse being far greater than any other power he had encountered in the past. At least, that's what I remember being said on the GoW Discussion Thread

The second scan could be attributed to Kratos having lost most of his strength and only slowly regaining it back during GoW 2018 and pre-GoW Ragnarok, and only fully regains it by the start of GoW Ragnarok. Even then, Kratos quickly started to overpower and defeat Baldur as the fight progressed
Went from losing in his first fight against Baldur[94] due to having lost most of his strength from his God of War days and having become less muscular than before to the point where he was a shell of his former self[95], to eventually ending up regaining his old strength within mere seconds and completely turning the tide in the fight, effortlessly ragdolling and defeating Baldur[94]. The entire game revolves around Kratos slowly regaining his old strength from his old days as the God of War in order to protect and better his son Atreus to face the harsh Norse Worlds, as confirmed in an official blog post from Sony[96], as well as by numerous[97] other[98] statements from WoG
So no, Baldur is not stronger than every Greek god. There was a GoW power hierarchy CRT recently and Baldur isn't anywhere near the top. There are still Greek gods that scale above him

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the first scan is about Baldur's invulnerability curse being far greater than any other power he had encountered in the past. At least, that's what I remember being said on the GoW Discussion Thread

The second scan could be attributed to Kratos having lost most of his strength and only slowly regaining it back during GoW 2018 and pre-GoW Ragnarok, and only fully regains it at the start of GoW Ragnarok. Even then, Kratos quickly started to overpower and defeat Baldur as the fight progressed

So no, Baldur is not stronger than every Greek god. There was a GoW power hierarchy CRT recently and Baldur isn't anywhere near the top. There are still Greek gods that scale above him
I guess this makes a lot more sense. Kratos was rusty in the beginning of GOW 4 slowly regaining his old powers. Him suddenly being stronger in a matter of minutes makes little sense otherwise.
I believe Baldur was somewhere near Ares level during their last fight.

I had an argument with a guy saying Baldur is stronger than all Greek Gods based upon the novel.
Here is the part which he mentioned.
Already been debunked countless times.

This is in reference to Kratos' misconception that Baldur was the strongest mortal he had ever faced, until he realized he was just your run-of-the-mill god.

In the end of the game tho, after Baldur's regenerative curse is nuked, Kratos threatens to splinter every single bone in his body until Atreus tells him Baldur has been beaten and is no longer a threat.

I guess this makes a lot more sense. Kratos was rusty in the beginning of GOW 4 slowly regaining his old powers. Him suddenly being stronger in a matter of minutes makes little sense otherwise.
I believe Baldur was somewhere near Ares level during their last fight.
LMFAO no. Baldur isn't even close to Brother King level in any sense of the word. Even a rusty Kratos going rage curbstomped him and that Kratos was nowhere near the peak of his power. We don't consider rusty Kratos to be Brother King level in any sense of the word, only his held-back Ragnarok self is there. Serious Ragnarok self scales above that, with Odin and Zeus being above (At least until we reach endgame GoW3 Zeus). Bloodlusted Ragnarok Kratos scales above most of the verse save for the Great Evils and Hope.

Last edited:
The only thing that confuses me a bit with Baldur's scaling is him hurting and KOing the World Serpent, whose younger self fought and took attacks from Thor, who scales above the Brother Kings and fought on par with Serious Ragnarok Kratos, while rusty Kratos curbstomping Baldur makes him significantly below all those characters

The only thing that confuses me a bit with Baldur's scaling is him hurting and KOing the World Serpent, whose younger self fought and took attacks from Thor, who scales above the Brother Kings and fought on par with Serious Ragnarok Kratos, while rusty Kratos curbstomping Baldur makes him significantly below all those characters
Baldur took pot shots at the World Serpent, and it wasn't even a good-enough KO, moment Atreus spoke the weird Giant words, Jormie came clapping back as if nothing happened to him. Plus, Sigrun exists.

Baldur took pot shots at the World Serpent, and it wasn't even a good-enough KO, moment Atreus spoke the weird Giant words, Jormie came clapping back as if nothing happened to him. Plus, Sigrun exists.
Cool. Though speaking of them Baldur's and Sigrun's profiles need to be updated to reflect stuff like this and Kratos being rusty and weaker, since their justifications are pretty bad and lackluster

They'll need overhauls in general. A lot of them outright lack references.

Baldur downscales from Jormungandr, which took hits from Thor.

IMO that already puts him above the Brother Kings, since Thor = Ragnarok Kratos ~= GoW2/3 Kratos = Pre-Fear Zeus, who even at his weakest in GoW2 could one-shot Athena and the Brother Kings.

He's still weaker than Heimdall, as Heimdall stomped a Base Atreus who was older and much stronger than the one who ate a full-force Baldur punch and could repeatedly hurt Baldur with his fists and kicks.

Kratos mocks Heimdall stating he's killed gods greater than him.

Worse still, Baldur didn't even do that much damage to Jormie overall, if any to begin with other than knocking him out via pot shots which is already on shaky grounds to qualify for scaling, and he consistently gets murked by 2018 Rusty Kratos to the point of the latter threatening to grind Baldur to dust, at which point even considering him downscaling is kinda not worth the effort. 2018 is all over the place with no solid placement for scans.

Kratos mocks Heimdall stating he's killed gods greater than him.

Worse still, Baldur didn't even do that much damage to Jormie overall, if any to begin with other than knocking him out via pot shots which is already on shaky grounds to qualify for scaling, and he consistently gets murked by 2018 Rusty Kratos to the point of the latter threatening to grind Baldur to dust, at which point even considering him downscaling is kinda not worth the effort. 2018 is all over the place with no solid placement for scans.
2018 Kratos did badly wound Baldur's Dragon, which Heimdall implied could've badly hurt him.

2018 Kratos did badly wound Baldur's Dragon, which Heimdall implied could've badly hurt him.
Pretty sure Baldur could ride it because of his curse, that's what Heimdall was referring to, avoiding getting burned down all the time.

I mean, that was before he even fought Heimdall, and Kratos later calls him a formidable foe in the Codex
Heimdall got shitcanned the moment he started having hits landing on him, his only gimmick was reading minds and seeing the future, once that went away the entire fight became a complete bully-fest where every hit Kratos landed on Heimdall was effectively career suicide for him. Kratos regularly downplays himself against such foes, Cronos was the first such instance where he lashes out at Hephaestus for "sending him to his death" against the Titan despite the latter not really possessing any threat to Brother-King level peeps.

Heimdall got shitcanned the moment he started having hits landing on him, his only gimmick was reading minds and seeing the future, once that went away the entire fight became a complete bully-fest where every hit Kratos landed on Heimdall was effectively career suicide for him. Kratos regularly downplays himself against such foes, Cronos was the first such instance where he lashes out at Hephaestus for "sending him to his death" against the Titan despite the latter not really possessing any threat to Brother-King level peeps.
Tbf, Kratos probably just meant Hephaestus was trying to kill him, not that Cronus was an actual threat.

And Cronos could be stronger than we think, he believed Kratos killed Gaia yet still wanted to throw them hands.

Speaking of, his "who else could" statement is possibly a good feat for Gaia, right?

Pretty sure Baldur could ride it because of his curse, that's what Heimdall was referring to, avoiding getting burned down all the time.
Exactly, so that Dragon was a threat to Heimdall, and 2018 Kratos killed it after Baldur knocked him off the dragon's back.

Tbf, Kratos probably just meant Hephaestus was trying to kill him, not that Cronus was an actual threat.

And Cronos could be stronger than we think, he believed Kratos killed Gaia yet still wanted to throw them hands.
Cronos was weakened and stripped of all his powers, in no way was he an actual threat to Kratos in any sense of the word. Kratos in general just doesn't like being lied to.

Speaking of, his "who else could" statement is possibly a good feat for Gaia, right?
IDK chief, Poseidon was turning her into Swiss Cheese and Zeus deadass one-shotted her.

Exactly, so that Dragon was a threat to Heimdall, and 2018 Kratos killed it after Baldur knocked him off the dragon's back.
Threat in the sense that it just keeps burning shit, something Baldur doesn't have to suffer because regenerative curse.

I just feel like the fact that Ragnarok Kratos has a one-shot gap above the Brother Kings, yet the 2 weaker Odinsons have things like Baldur downscaling from Thor (which makes their gap smaller than a one-shot gap), and Heimdall being superior to Baldur via Atreus scaling, makes me feel that the 2 weaker Odinsons > the Brother Kings.

I just feel like the fact that Ragnarok Kratos has a one-shot gap above the Brother Kings, yet the 2 weaker Odinsons have things like Baldur downscaling from Thor (which makes their gap smaller than a one-shot gap), and Heimdall being superior to Baldur via Atreus scaling, makes me feel that the 2 weaker Odinsons > the Brother Kings.
Unlikely, given how Kratos downplays Heimdall compared to the other Gods he's killed and even Mimir agrees to it, with Heimdall's gimmick of being "formidable" is his lust for battle, skill and his hax, in the physicals department tho he gets completely bullied.

Baldur doesn't even get a passing mention in terms of strength in the series, and it honestly makes me question whether he should even downscale from the snake to begin with. Using Atreus himself doesn't get you any better results, since he's all over the place with scaling.

Baldur and Sigrun really need their profiles reworked to address their scaling and how far below they downscale from the World Serpent/Thor, because as it is right now, without looking at other profiles, it looks like Baldur >= Kratos and Sigrun = Thor, when neither of these are true

Baldur and Sigrun really need their profiles reworked to address their scaling and how far below they downscale from the World Serpent/Thor, because as it is right now, without looking at other profiles, it looks like Baldur >= Kratos and Sigrun = Thor, when neither of these are true
@Planck69 @Dust_Collector Your assistance here would be appreciated.

I mean, a holding back Kratos was compared to Sigrun by Thor, so maybe we could scale Sigrun to holding-back Kratos?

I mean, a holding back Kratos was compared to Sigrun by Thor, so maybe we could scale Sigrun to holding-back Kratos?
Sigrun was considered the most dangerous foe Kratos had faced in 2018 as per the Codex, which would put her above the likes of Baldur.

Sigrun was considered the most dangerous foe Kratos had faced in 2018 as per the Codex, which would put her above the likes of Baldur.
Well I know that, but Holding Back Kratos was compared to Sigrun by Thor, and HB Kratos matched HB Thor, which was the Thor that made Kratos give his journal statement.

Gameplay supports that, too. If I had a dollar for every time someone said that Sigrún made them ragequit or break their controller, I'd never have to work another day in my life.

Thor makes a lot of comparisons in that fight to Kratos' past foes so using it isn't good scaling, unless you think Thor is superior to the entire Greek pantheon as well.

Anyway, Baldur and Sigrun obviously below the likes of Ragnarok Kratos. But that's it. He's not "sub-Brother King" level cause we canned any sort of scaling they have to Thor level beings and there's no pantheon comparisons in 2018 beyond the obvious (Zeus shitcanning Baldur etc.). He could be but all we can concretely tell is that he's weaker than beings on the level of the top deities in the Norse pantheon.

Also, speaking generally, can we not bring up that Poseidon tweet? Aside from the fact that not one developer has "held back/all out" in their minds while tweeting, I dunno how we got to the conclusion that it specifically refers to any level of Thor. Not to mention obviously that Thor is far above it anyway.

Also, speaking generally, can we not bring up that Poseidon tweet? Aside from the fact that not one developer has "held back/all out" in their minds while tweeting, I dunno how we got to the conclusion that it specifically refers to any level of Thor. Not to mention obviously that Thor is far above it anyway.
Uh, I don't think anyone brought the tweet up here.

Pretty sure your recent CRT basically killed the notion of Poseidon = Thor.
Issue is that it often gets used as saying "Held-back Thor = Poseidon" when.... we have nothing indicating that's the case. That tweet either came out before the game in which case the holding-back notion doesn't exist yet or after it, in which case it'd most likely refer to all out Thor.

Issue is that it often gets used as saying "Held-back Thor = Poseidon" when.... we have nothing indicating that's the case. That tweet either came out before the game in which case the holding-back notion doesn't exist yet or after it, in which case it'd most likely refer to all out Thor.
If anything, Held Back Thor is closer to Hercules than Poseidon since it was HB Thor that made Kratos say that journal statement

Does anyone have the scan of Kratos threatening to splinter Baldur's bones?
GOW2018 Novel Chapter 55

“Come on, do it!” Baldur taunted, the corners of his mouth inching into a grimace.

“Stop… please!” Freya cried, surrendering to the agony of her breaking heart.

“This must end,” Kratos snarled.

“But he is beaten, Father. No longer a threat.”

Something in Atreus’ voice stopped Kratos in his tracks. He stared first at Baldur, then at his son, then back at Baldur. It was Freya’s influence that tugged at his son’s heart. Was Atreus allowing emotion to cloud his thinking? Was it the way he cared for Freya that made him wish compassion on this fiend? The old Kratos lived only to kill, and would have snapped this one’s neck then pummeled him until every bone in his body splintered. That Kratos could find no reason to let this monster live. But he was no longer that man.

Hearing Freya’s whimpers behind him, he yielded to the god he desired to be, rather than the god that was.

He released Baldur’s throat.

“You will never come for us again. You will never touch her in anger,” Kratos commanded, his face hard as stone.

“I need no protection from you,” Freya said, her voice growing stronger from the realization that her son would live.

Kratos cast his gaze to Freya as if to dismiss her words. She stared back at him, disappointed, hurt, and broken.

Yeah if anything, FP Thor > Hercules.
Eh, no. We already discussed that in the Scaling CRT, where we deemed Thor to be equal to Herc solely because of that Rage Stunning thing he had (Which doesn't even work on the other Rage Forms BTW), which I honestly think is dubious at best, that and there's the fact that even considering that, Herc fought a bloodlusted Kratos, Thor didn't. Granted, the gap between Bloodlusted Ragnarok Kratos and Serious Ragnarok Kratos isn't as big as it was considered before, but it's still something to note.

Back