• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How much durability must be higher than the opponent's attack power?

Second22

They/Them
How much durability must be higher than the opponent's attack power? Characters are not affected by opponent's attacks.

I'd say 4-5x. 7.5x is the gap so an attack will one shot you, so I'd imagine a 7.5x advantage in durability would allow you to no sell the opponent's attack.

Let's say, the average human punch is 135-150 Joules. If you're also the average joe, taking an average punch hurts like a bitch.

But a punch from a 7-year-old wouldn't do anything to you, would it? It generates about 40 Joules, so a 4x different.

I'd say 4-5x. 7.5x is the gap so an attack will one shot you, so I'd imagine a 7.5x advantage in durability would allow you to no sell the opponent's attack.

Let's say, the average human punch is 135-150 Joules. If you're also the average joe, taking an average punch hurts like a bitch.

But a punch from a 7-year-old wouldn't do anything to you, would it? It generates about 40 Joules, so a 4x different.
That's only for humans though.

(Like let's say human punch vs a Tiger and a ant vs human the difference would be a lot different imo so I think something like the said ap likely or possibly higher is a better option.)

That's only for humans though.

(Like let's say human punch vs a Tiger and a ant vs human the difference would be a lot different imo so I think something like the said ap likely or possibly higher is a better option.)
Most characters are humanoids, we obviously have to consider different anatomies, but the 7.5x one shot gap is also applied universally although it's calc'd only for humans

Those differences are massive though, like they are textbook stomps and stuff, sec asked for the minimun to no sell an attack, an actual ant vs human is kinda, too much

Those differences are massive though, like they are textbook stomps and stuff, sec asked for the minimun to no sell an attack
You will not be able to ignore an attack with half your strength. (2x gap)
You will not be able to completely ignore an attack with a third ofnyour strength (3x gap)
I say 4x is reasonable. There isn't a minimum.

Most characters are humanoids, we obviously have to consider different anatomies, but the 7.5x one shot gap is also applied universally although it's calc'd only for humans
Yes but there are characters that are not humanoid and doesn't follow this anatomies so I just think that the durability would be better to be listed as something like ap likely or possibly higher.

(Though talking about the actual question I guess 4-7 times as a minimum standard is reasonable)

Last edited:
Yes but there are characters that are not humanoid and doesn't follow this anatomies so I just think that the durability would be better to be listed as something like ap likely or possibly higher.

(Though talking about the actual question I guess 4-7 times as a minimum standard is reasonable)
As I said, humanoid calculations are used universally here for the sake of convenience.

It's case by case since AP/Durability gaps also don't take surface area/penetration into account. But 7.5 is a reasonable gap for things like body slamming, but punching or strikes from sharp weapons require significantly larger gaps.

You will not be able to ignore an attack with half your strength. (2x gap)
You will not be able to completely ignore an attack with a third ofnyour strength (3x gap)
I say 4x is reasonable. There isn't a minimum.
Was refering to an ant vs a human, which is like, i dunno, 10 thousand gap?

Back